Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Push Button Start Problems

Sometimes when I push the starter button (with clutch depressed of course) it will not start. Steering column comes down into place but no ignition, so, try and push button again and steering column goes back up and it all switches off (worst case scenario)

Other times, a few presses of the button will work. Yet other times still car will start first time with just one button push, i.e. steering column comes down and ignition fires up immediately! Sometimes I keep the button pressed for ages and nothing happens, other times it will start after a few seconds - I'm confused!

There is no real pattern to it, everytime I try and start it up it seems to behave differently. Is there a sure fire way to get the engine to start up first time every time?

Thanks for any advice/answers

Sometimes when I push the starter button (with clutch depressed of course) it will not start. Steering column comes down into place but no ignition, so, try and push button again and steering column goes back up and it all switches off (worst case scenario)

Other times, a few presses of the button will work. Yet other times still car will start first time with just one button push, i.e. steering column comes down and ignition fires up immediately! Sometimes I keep the button pressed for ages and nothing happens, other times it will start after a few seconds - I'm confused!

There is no real pattern to it, everytime I try and start it up it seems to behave differently. Is there a sure fire way to get the engine to start up first time every time?

when you push it, does the green light come on (on the button).. so when you depress the clutch the green light is on.

when you push it, does the green light come on (on the button).. so when you depress the clutch the green light is on.

Don't want to be stupid but is it that the parking brake is off ?

Don't want to be stupid but is it that the parking brake is off ?

Yes, parking break is always on, and yes - green light illuminates on the start button...

BTW - great pic illestjt, your two cars parked together look pretty cool!!

Another daft question ... are you pushing the clutch in hard enough? I've had the symptons you describe a couple of times, and it's just because I've not been pressing hard enough.

Another daft question ... are you pushing the clutch in hard enough? I've had the symptons you describe a couple of times, and it's just because I've not been pressing hard enough.

It's not a daft question because you do have to push the clutch right in as you say - and I do so this is not the reason...

• 5 years later...

Is there any solution or known reason for this issue? My is220d is 2008 Oct and recently from a week I have seen the intermittent issue where it doesn't start in the first time when I depress the start/stop button with Green light illuminating. It's very rare by any thought of is220d issues is very disturbing as it may become worst.

• 2 years later...

Morning

I am having a vert similar issue, I compress the clutch and it can take up to 10 minutes for the start button to go green, sometimes it works first time but others i can be sat there for ages.  is it something to do with the clutch or the button itself?

Cheers

I once had similar issue on IS250 and it was faulty Battery (short cell). So it only had power to move steering column, but not to ignite the engine. being diesel I believe it needs much more power (does it have glow plug for heating-up ?! I am not sure). So I guess checking the battery would be good start (could be corroded main ground cable as well).

• 2 years later...

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/26/2016 at 11:41 AM, conor.richardson123 said:

Morning

I am having a vert similar issue, I compress the clutch and it can take up to 10 minutes for the start button to go green, sometimes it works first time but others i can be sat there for ages.  is it something to do with the clutch or the button itself?

Cheers

Hello Conor. Did you eventually get the solution for this issue as I'm having very similar issue with my car of the same year and model.

• Like 1