Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starting Problem

Iron Man

Hi There, ive just joined here today and ive a question if someone could help me out. ive a 2004 200 sport with 39000 miles and my problem is that sometimes the car takes a lot of turning over to start,it dosn't matter if the engines hot or cold,sometimes theres a lot of turning over before it catches and starts. i was thinking that its a character of the engine as my brother in law has the same problem on his 2002 sport with 62000 miles, any one have any input or heard anything similar to this problem? thanks

Hi,

I've had that issue a few times. At first i thought it was the spark plugs, however i first decided to run some injector cleaner though it as most of my driving is stop start. Also went through two tanks of v-power as well, first tank with the cleaner and a second tank just for good measure. I haven't had issue surface for sometime now.

hi wozza,the last service was 30000 which was in april last year,i bought the car with a years warranty, ive a few wee nigly problems such as having to really slam the boot to close it and a squeaking handbrake and the drivers headlight washer dosnt work but the starting issue is very annoying as it only happens an odd time,i spoke to a lexus mechanic and he said he'd never heard of anything like that,the cars goin into lexus next week to get those problems fixed but i doubt they'll find any problems with not bein able to start it [thats usually what happens when you go to see a mechanic!!! ha ha]

hi el gencer, yeah it could be something simple like being a bit sooted up,i travel 5 miles to work and 5 miles back six days a week and it gets a bit of driving at the weekend and my brother in law is exactly the same!ha ha,its goin into lexus so im hopeing they'll find a faulty sensor or something

Welcome to LOC mate :)

Hope you get whatever is causing the problem sorted.

Guess it'll be spark, fuel or air related at initial starting.

That one about your boot is one I've not heard of before - has the car ever had a knock?

Welcome to LOC mate :)

Hope you get whatever is causing the problem sorted.

Guess it'll be spark, fuel or air related at initial starting.

That one about your boot is one I've not heard of before - has the car ever had a knock?

Hi aido,no the cars never been damaged,yeah you really have to give it a proper slam to close it,im guessing the locking mechanism just needs adjusting a bit