Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Xenon Conversion Kit

I finally saved up the dough ($550) and ordered real HID conversion kit

for the low-beams (9006) to my Lexus IS200 Sport.

http://www.hid-online.com/products/kit.asp?id=29

I have always thought that the Lexus IS200 is worthy of this exclusive look at night, which also results in better vision.

Although the origional halogens are very good I will no longer be envious :sick: of not having what should have been standard in the first place. For the 2000 model that I have it wasn't even an option :unsure: .

I know I won't have an auto-leveling system as this is retro fit, but I will

adjust the beams down a bit just in case. And converting back in case of control is a matter of plug-and-play.

I'll be getting back with some before and after pix.

In the mean time check this out:

http://www.hid-online.com/customer_gallery/index.asp

I will do so.

If I get the kit delivered (UPS 48h) I could have it installed this weekend.

I'll get back with a review for the the owners club members and som pix 4 ya.

After this there will be no where to "HIDe" :geek:

Cheers

My HID conversion kit arrived today and I successfully fitted it. It took about 2 hours, being the first time and taking care not to mess upp polarities etc.

The instruction cautions about firing up the HID bulbs with wrong polarities or the ballast without connecting the bulbs. So you really have to be careful.

All the parts were plug-and-play and the connectors were standard so really no probs with some electricity knowledge. (I finally put my engineering degree to good use... :D )

Anyway, after checking the circuit twice it was time for a test.

Let me just say WOW !! Were talking a completely new perspective here. The light power and color temp is now deservig of a Lex.

Can really recommend this.

Sorry don't mean to disappoint ya. I didn't take any installation pix but a manual

is included in the kit so if you have some basic knowledge it should be no problem.

I'll borrow a digital camera from work and will take some day time and some night time shots.

These bulbs don't need replacing 3000 hours +. That means on average

3-6 years at normal use.

The good thing als is that a retro fit kit can be moved to your next car. :hohoho:

I know I won't have an auto-leveling system as this is retro fit, but I will

adjust the beams down a bit just in case.

I thought is was a legal requirement in the UK to have auto leveling with all HID headlamps

I have had mine fitted for about a month now and I cant believe how much difference they make. The light output is fantastic and seems to be a lot easier on the eyes.

What made you go for the 6000k kit and not the 4300k kit George? When I ordered, they told me the 6000k kit was a slightly 'bluer' light, but the 4300k kit put 50% more light down on the road :unsure: so I went for the 4300k's

I ordered from HERE, you just have to sort of pretend you didnt see the 'for offroad use only' bit :blush::blush: ;)

I went for the 6000 K kit becuase of the looks. Purely aesthetic and my personal feel

for the exlusive look of the blueis hue.

It seems extremely intense just by looking at it. On the other hand if the 4300 K kit is 3 times more intense than standard halogen then the 6000 K kit is still 1.5 times brighter. So its still a big improvement. If what you say is correct.

What you haven't installed adjustable suspension ? My IS200 can be raised 50 cm when I drive through the canyon and the marshes in the Camel Trophy :D :hehe: :D

Cheers

Here are some pix of the Xenon HID-kit that I've installed:

left_HID.jpg

Here you can see the ballast (that gives the 23,000 Volt initial start-up spark)

to ignite the HID bulbs. You can also see the connection to the Battery.

Here is the right-hand installation. You can also see the relay and safety fuse.

right_HID.jpg

Here you can see the difference between the 80 Euro Philips Ultitron 6000K bulb and

the 20 Euro Philips Blue Vision bulb.

Bulbs_HID.jpg

I'll be getting back with some "action" pics soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just fitted these HID lamps (4100K) to the low beam, i am very impressed with the difference, so much so that i have ordered them for the high beam too, they should be here on wednesday. The first set took about 1 hour to fit and are also 4100K to match, needless to say i will be out driving on wednesday evening.

This product is highly recommended for anyone with a 200 who is not satisfied with the factory fitted lamps, all i need to do now is the fog lamps ! and get rid of those HIGHLY OVER RATED, EXPENSIVE, PIAA bulbs. :D

I've just fitted these HID lamps (4100K) to the low beam, i am very impressed with the difference, so much so that i have ordered them for the high beam too, they should be here on wednesday. The first set took about 1 hour to fit and are also 4100K to match, needless to say i will be out driving on wednesday evening.

This product is highly recommended for anyone with a 200 who is not satisfied with the factory fitted lamps, all i need to do now is the fog lamps ! and get rid of those HIGHLY OVER RATED, EXPENSIVE, Piaa bulbs. :D

Better be careful saying how good the HID's are mate, the LOC police will give you a severe dressing down :shutit: :whistling:

Aye, Aye, hear, hear... I second that G7UHF !

Good choice in converting !

I am really amazed every time I take the car somewhere at night at how extremely powerful they are. It's almost as the highbeam is superflous.

The highbeam only gives some extra light upwards and is mostly totally drowned out by the Xenons near range.

I have not had ANY oncoming cars blink at me with their highbeams as when they tell you that you forgot to turn off your highbeam at night. I was a little worried about this, that the sheer intesity of the Xenons would cause irritation. But it appears that they are well aimed.

Another interesting thing I read about is that having Xenon in a reflector housing as in the IS200 (and GS300) makes it less sharp than if the Xenon bulb is fitted in a projector type housing (BMW, LS430, SC430). That means good news for oncomers. The physics behind this would be that the light source is less concentrated. Although not less effective when the beam hits the pavement where the light is refocused.

:hocus-pokus: :geek: :hocus-pokus:

Hello George. Bad news im affraid, the high beam wont work ! I conected them up and found that when you put the low beam on the high beam came on as well.

I phoned the office, spoke to Janet (who knows everything there is to know about everything to do with H.I.D. and the history of the entire universe) she offered a few sugestions on how to alternatly fit them, one of which is to remove the entire wiring harness they supply, make up a short lead using the harness and plugging the 9006 plug straight into the inverter the output then goes to the H.I.D. lamp, change the fuses in the fusebox infront of the Battery from 10 amp to 15 amp for the low beam, and away you go. It works because that is how mine is, no problems and its a lot neater with no trailing wires to the Battery. Let me know if you want more details, if you dont want to make up your own short lead they will supply 2 ready made for the job. The lead allows you to connect the plug that would go on the back of the halogen bulb directly to the inverter but the polarity is wrong so the lead, when made will switch the polarity for you. :geek: :D

So when are you going to bring the 200 down to Northants and compare these additions to the real thing to see what you're missing?Ha!Ha!

Buzz.

ps bring the choccie bics too. :backofnet:

Sorry G7UHF, I don't mean to be thick but I'm not quite following you. So you ordered a second pair of HID (9006) for your high-beam ? And the installation

didn't work ? That's strange because it should you would imagine.

You could send a personal message to me through the site and explain.

PS I got a chance to compare an IS200 original HID (from factory) to mine a while back and the conversion kit makes the original look a lot like halogens. The Philips kit came out more intense and of course more ice-blueish in tone.

Does anyone know what color temp the factory HID:s from Lexus use ??

Cheers ! :geek:

Hi George, you wont like this but that second set of H.I.D's i bought are now in the fog lamps and work perfectly, had to change the fuse up to 20 amp from 15 amp. Am going out in the countryside tonight to give them a try. :D :lol:

G7UHF,

Can you go testing them later next week so I can pop round and nick the plasma telly for my "trailer"

Buzz. :P

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links