Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Question About Keys

leylo

hi guys a little or possibly major problem i have is ive lost my 3 button key and i dont know if it was the master key is there a way to tell???

also is it possible for me to reprogramme another key just off the original 2 button key??

or is it a case of a new central locking ecu

Almost always the three button key is a master and the two button one a sub key. You cannot program a new key using a sub key, you would have to replace the engine ECU and obtain a new key - cost around £800-£1000.

You should have two master keys and one sub. That is what is supplied with the vehicle new.

If you insert a sub key the security light will come on for a second or two - that is the easiest way to tell if a key is a master or not.

hi guys a little or possibly major problem i have is ive lost my 3 button key and i dont know if it was the master key is there a way to tell???

also is it possible for me to reprogramme another key just off the original 2 button key??

or is it a case of a new central locking ecu

You should have 3 keys in all (from new) 2 black master 3 button and 3rd key Grey 2 button, so if you only have 2 button ? yes you have lost the master key.

I once read on here somewhere that if you lose the key and let the insurance company know, chances are they'll sort out the locks and ECU and so on as it's less for them to pay that than to have to pay out the full value of the car if you lost it locally and someone nicks it!

Got to be worth a phone call - might be more difficult now as they won't be wanting to spend much but worth a go.

I once read on here somewhere that if you lose the key and let the insurance company know, chances are they'll sort out the locks and ECU and so on as it's less for them to pay that than to have to pay out the full value of the car if you lost it locally and someone nicks it!

Got to be worth a phone call - might be more difficult now as they won't be wanting to spend much but worth a go.

well one of my mates lost their keys and he phone police and said somebody stole his gf hand bag which had the keys so the insurance replaced everything. it is worth a call i guess