Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High Mileage Is250 Auto

Hi,

Might be coming back to the Lexus brand. Have been looking at some used, high mileage IS250 Autos.

One of the cars I've seen has over 50k on the clock on an 06 reg - anything I should be worried about or are the engines etc pretty solid japanese realiability?

Thanks

Phil

There are a couple of posts saying that cars around the 3 year old mark are having issues with the brakes - may be worth ensuring that if you do get one that it's covered for any of the major recalls - think it was Tango who's just had some sorted when it was one day out of warranty?

I would not consider 50k as high mileage -it is how the mileage has been done and if it has been well serviced that matters. Mine has 30k and no problems, i know of someone who put 200k on a GS and (other than service) only had to change a lightbulb in all that time. Of course mileage is a great reason to haggle :=) When I had company cars I took one up to 158k and the person who bought it took it to over 200 and still no bother (that was a BM)

Mine is a 57 SEL that the dealer says is worth 15.5 in PX so haggle well.

One of the cars I've seen has over 50k on the clock on an 06 reg

Thanks

Phil

Probably needs another 50K to loosen the engine up. Bought my old 300 sport with 85K. Sold after 6 years with 145+K and engine was running like new.

Why has no one mentioned the "engine rattle on start up" needing potentially a top end re-build?

is that just on 250 autos? or a hit n miss on any of the IS's?

It's potentially on all 250's and there's a TSIB for it. It's very brief (a few seconds) and can be intermittant. Either way it's not harmful to the engine, just isn't a noise you want or expect from a Lexus (well not one with a petrol engine :tomato: ). Unsure as to why it affects some and not others, just glad it hasn't been a problem on mine..so far anyway. Will be a little pi$$ed it I hear it now as it's just out of warranty.

It could occur on 2006-2007 IS250 models up to the following VIN numbers, after which the top assembly was changed:

TMK Production Plant, RWD versions up to VIN JTHBK262*72041664

Tahara Production Plant, RWD versions up to VIN2WD JTHBK262*75027761

BTW Jamboo/Scarlett Pimp, those Beemer forums must be really boring, or are you returning to the fold?

tango do u know if the suspension is lower on the sport autos?? and if so how much?

As far as I'm aware and as also stated by the Lexus official specifications I can find, all the 350/250/220D range have a height of 1.425 metres (56.1 inches), including the SR & Sports models. Not what I expected as the first generation Sport was lowered (15mm or 20 mm?).

'' BTW Jamboo/Scarlett Pimp, those Beemer forums must be really boring, or are you returning to the fold? ''

Thay are mate, trust me :o

Full of yanks who go on and on about their nearly BMW550is that they managed to get like for $30k....and yes quite boring...

Had I gone for the IS250 Auto, I might still have been a Lexus owner...and I find this forum to be incredibly good....

There aren't really any Lexus's that take my fancy. The closest one to my heart is the GS450h, but the size of the boot is a no-no and I wouldn't bee seen dead with a roof box...

'' BTW Jamboo/Scarlett Pimp, those Beemer forums must be really boring, or are you returning to the fold? ''

Thay are mate, trust me :o

Full of yanks who go on and on about their nearly BMW550is that they managed to get like for $30k....and yes quite boring...

Had I gone for the IS250 Auto, I might still have been a Lexus owner...and I find this forum to be incredibly good....

There aren't really any Lexus's that take my fancy. The closest one to my heart is the GS450h, but the size of the boot is a no-no and I wouldn't bee seen dead with a roof box...

I found that all thay wanted to go on about was money, how much that was, how much this is, but only 1 or 2 could afford anything at all.

Mines just done 41k, 55 reg, seems v sound to me. No rattles aside from the dash creak (worth listening out for on a test drive) that is due to be sorted.

If you get it from a Lexus dealer with a wty, then go for it- 50k miles is hardly run in as long as its been well looked after. They're serviced every 10k miles which IMO makes them a better bet than cars with extended service intervals as they visit the garage more often to get bits sorted, and get the oil changed more. The intermediate service is very cheap so doesn't make it a more expensive proposition in the long run.

ah ok..cheers..couldnt find anything on their official leaflets which stated lower suspension. but i think the suspension on sport models in states is lower? or is that not the case?

Same ride height, so no. I was surprised the 350 is the same ride height because the Eibach lowering springs for the 350 has less drop than those for the 250 so I assumed quite wrongly that it was lower in the first place.