Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I walked up to my GS450h today, tried to open the boot - nothing. Keys were in my pocket as ever.

Tried to open the doors - nothing.

Tried the remote central lock/unlock - nothing.

The red LED on the fob flashed when the buttons were pressed.

So I got into the car using the emergency manual key and, of course, all hell broke loose as the alarm went off. The hybrid system wouldn't start and stated that there was no key detected. I took the manual out of the car to try and figure out what to do and went away for 5 minutes to read it. I went back to the car to go through the starting with a dead key fob process but the darned thing detected the fob as I approached and worked just fine this time.

It's worked fine since then

Any ideas?

Malc

It wouldn't just be the batteries in the fob are on their way out would it? Have they ever been changed?

Apart from that maybe interference on the wireless spectrum maybe?

Was there an RAC or AA patrolvan nearby??

They have some sort of wierd communication radio thingy which jams the immobilisers on all cars nearby!!..

I remember when my old car was being sorted by the RAC man and he had the local policeman baffled when he couldn't drive off in his brand new Toyota Landcruiser!!!

Was good fun watching it!!! :winky:

Ps. While we were playing with his "jamming" device, I tested, my Lexus which wouldnt start yet my VW passat did!!.. maybe different frequencies or something....

Which is why you should always listen for the clunk of your central locking or try the doors..... there is a very common consumer device that distorts the signal so the car ignores it as it thinks it is foreign.

I'd go with Aido's suggestions. It happens every now and again. When it becomes common to you, it will be worth looking into.

. there is a very common consumer device that distorts the signal so the car ignores it as it thinks it is foreign.

/quote]

So are you going to enlighten us ?

Which is why you should always listen for the clunk of your central locking or try the doors..... there is a very common consumer device that distorts the signal so the car ignores it as it thinks it is foreign.

I'd go with Aido's suggestions. It happens every now and again. When it becomes common to you, it will be worth looking into.

And the device is.......? Go on, please tell :shifty:

Was there an RAC or AA patrolvan nearby??

They have some sort of wierd communication radio thingy which jams the immobilisers on all cars nearby!!..

I remember when my old car was being sorted by the RAC man and he had the local policeman baffled when he couldn't drive off in his brand new Toyota Landcruiser!!!

Was good fun watching it!!! :winky:

Ps. While we were playing with his "jamming" device, I tested, my Lexus which wouldnt start yet my VW passat did!!.. maybe different frequencies or something....

Interesting....wouldn't that imply that if you were driving and went past an RAC van the car would come up with the no key detected message? Just a thought

Malc

Interesting....wouldn't that imply that if you were driving and went past an RAC van the car would come up with the no key detected message? Just a thought

Malc

No mate, the key is only needed for the start button... have you ever tried starting your car and telling your passenger to walk away with the key... The car still drives for miles!!!!!!! lol... interesting security!!! :winky:

I had this problem only yesterday when I was leaving the car. I pressed the button on the door handle to lock the door, and the car beeped at me. I could see a message on the dash saying "Key not detected". The batteries are new, so no problem there. I got into the car, and pressed the start button so it went to "Ready" and then stopped it again. I could then lock the door. I'm not sure if that's any help, as it doesn't really explain what was wrong.

BTW, if the fob Battery is low, you will get a message on the dash when you press "stop".

• 1 year later...

I've had the same problem the last couple of days. At about six in the evening, the key fobs wont work outside my house. There isnt a problem away from the house, and no problem by late evening yesterday or this morning.

I'm working under the assumption that someone nearby has started using a new item of electronic equipment.

I'm going to try pinpoint the source by driving up and down the nearest streets and trying the key fob, and also by listing times when it occurs.

Is there any right to get someone to stop using an item of equipment? Could the council help? I doubt it will be possible to persuade someone to stop using their new toy.

I've contacted OFCOM about this mater, and they have said that it is an area they can look at. However with the previso that if the signal interference is comming from my property, there will be a charge of £57.50 per hour to me.

I had a check today, the problem exists on 80% of my street and more on the street below mine. Im near the end of the cord of the line of interference on my street, so theres no chance the problem is comming from near me.

I'm going to guess there is a radio ameateur or cb enthisiast nearby. I'd be very surprised if the problem is with a wireless internet which are designed to work within a single house.

Anyway, hopefully this problem will be resolved within a few week, ill report back.

• 3 years later...

Just had exactly the same problem, thought it might be the fob Battery so walked 15 minutes back home to get the other one and still the same problem. Noticed a house alarm was going off during both my attempts. Went back home and read this post so with this in mind thought I'd give it another try. The house alarm was not going off now and the car opened as normal. Weird or what. This exonerates my son now when he complained his RC car wouldn't work when a neighbours house alarm was going off.

I know If i put my keys in my pocket with my Iphone that the car doesnt see the key, I have to jiggle about the keys a little in my pocket to get the car to see it or just put my keys on the other pocket! Only other problem I had, was with the Battery in the fob died on XMAS day 2 years ago, had people with presents waititng to get in the car too! Had the same where the alarm was blearing after using the manual key and people curtain twitching wondering what was going on, while I read the manual to try and get the car started! £10 to replace the Battery at Lexus!