Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cambelt Change Intervals? When.

Looking at all the service record tick sheets for my 2001 IS200SE, all the sheets say 6y/100k miles.

Looking through the receipts there is no record of a belt change upto 65k. Car has done 81k now, but there is a compliment slip from another garage saying oil/filter service at 77k so I'm happy that the fluids are good.

But on the cam cover there is a sticker saying that the belt was changed arround 42k in 2003.

Would it be normal to change the belt at such a young age and make no record of it. I have all the reciepts from Birmingham Lexus for services before, after and during 2003 and no mention of the belt/idler/tensioner at all, not even an advisory that it was worn.

Wonder why it was changed early, and does that mean I have another 20k before I need to do it again (allowing 60k from the last one), or should I get it done with the next service (due a full service anyway) as it has covered another 40k since it was done.

Agree with Tommy.

Think there was some confusion in the translation of the original intervals from the JDM manual where it was 100,000Km/6 years this became 100K miles or 6 years in the UK manual! AFAIK the official interval from Lexus is now 60k miles/6 years 62K miles being about 100K Km.

Either way it is due as 6 years are up.

give the dealer a call and see if they have any record of it.

It was revised down a tad from original manual due to something like the idler gear was wearing and causing the belt to move slightly, fraying the edges a bit.

I just have mine checked as mainly mileage will wear it rather than age - obviously age will have a factor due to the rubber compound degrading.

I think I might get the cover off this weekend.

See what physical condition it is in.

I've contacted Lexus Parts Direct as I've bought from them before when I had my Toyota Celica GT4 from their Toyota branch, to see what the belt/idler/tensioner costs, and I'll give Charlesworths a ring and see if they are happy with me supplying the belt/other service gear.

I guess it can't hurt to make sure it is right can it.

I just got all my parts cheaper from the dealer than I got quoted by Lexus Parts Direct! And I'm talking nearly 30 individual items at a cost of £1500 total!

Charlesworth are usually happy for you to supply the gear mate :)