Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disk/pad Upgrade Or Just Stick Oem?

SC-berks

Took my SC in for a service and phone call says that front disks have a "lip" on them and qouted roughly £500 for front Disks and pads.

what are my options? Figure Aquanuke has the most info on this?

Worth an upgrade or should I just keep it standard ??

*with the recent price drop, won't be selling into for at least a couple years, so don't mind spending a little more for a much better set-up.

Took my SC in for a service and phone call says that front disks have a "lip" on them and qouted roughly £500 for front Disks and pads.

what are my options? Figure Aquanuke has the most info on this?

Worth an upgrade or should I just keep it standard ??

*with the recent price drop, won't be selling into for at least a couple years, so don't mind spending a little more for a much better set-up.

Hi Ian,

Think i would be tempted to move away from the dealer and upgrade if they need doing. With most parts i tend to uprade as they need replacing. Just on a side note which service have you had done and at what price (PM me if you want) as i have a bit of a choice to make. My car is a 03 53 plate but only has 19000 miles on. Only done 3000 in the last year and was wondering what to do about servicing as the cars age says next service should be the biggy however the milage says not.

Regards

Chaz.

If you want to stay stock size you can get EBC discs or brembo discs on eBay plus other unkown makes.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trk...-All-Categories

Next step up would probs be the Supra Twin Turbo caliper and disc upgrade which I think Lextreme sell although you should be able to buy from toyota as well but probs £££'s

Lextreme have the LS listed on their site

http://www.lextreme.com/lsbrake.html

Then you could get a full BBK but big £££'s but worth it :winky:

In which case your looking at

AP Racing

brembo

Rotora

Endless

Stoptech etc

The dealership is Binfield. qoute was £480 for two disks and pads. Say that they are 99% worn which caused damage to disks or something. tbh- never have impressed me much, told them fix something the last 3 times and they always forget.

eBay disks. - the grooved slotted ones look kind of cool, but not sure about the quality... rather pay a little more and get EBC or Brembo's. Unfortunately it's not the time for me to drop a couple grand on fancy Red ones!

Chaz.. not sure of the actually service and what they are doing... my wife dropped it off. I'll check and let you know.

Aquanuke... man it's been a while since I've been around; (got that NSX and disappeared, I guess) anyway.. you haven't been hanging around, huh. loads of mods, eh. really looking good. The smoked windows are making me pretty jealous, along with all the rest.

I'll have to update my picture.. changed alloys about a year back. Looking to change again.. this time for 19's. just have to find the ones I want...

I think the 2003 SC has the old sliding calipers (like the Mk1 and Mk2 GS), so I'd go for the Mintex front discs and pads (MDC900 discs/MDB1708 pads), either from a local motor factor or off eBay. Any decent mechanic could fit them. Make sure they free up, clean, and lubricate the sliders, and check the rubber boots while they're there.

Should cost you less than £200 all in (depending on how much you Londoners get ripped off for labour :)).

If it has the big alloy 4-pots your choice may be more limited.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my SC serviced last week and was told that front brakes needed changing. Like you they also said something about 99% worn and so discs and pads need doing. They quoted £435 but I said I would shop around. Tried another Lexus dealer who is doing it for £290 (including LOC discount). It pays to shop around. Plus I do a lot of travelling so can usually get quotes from a wide range of dealers.

I did think about going down the route of buying parts off eBay and getting a mechanic to fit - but I'm a total novice to mechanics and would probably get the wrong kind. Plus I like the piece of mind of using a dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my SC serviced last week and was told that front brakes needed changing. Like you they also said something about 99% worn and so discs and pads need doing. They quoted £435 but I said I would shop around. Tried another Lexus dealer who is doing it for £290 (including LOC discount). It pays to shop around. Plus I do a lot of travelling so can usually get quotes from a wide range of dealers.

I did think about going down the route of buying parts off eBay and getting a mechanic to fit - but I'm a total novice to mechanics and would probably get the wrong kind. Plus I like the piece of mind of using a dealer.

Yep, ended up just going the OEM route due to not having the time to have my car sit in a shop while I sourced all the parts at a good price.

Got it done for £270 in the end... £200 cheaper than the dealer qouted. Car driving sweet now.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links