Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Mot Regulation

Chris.S

Heard this from a friend, not sure if its already been posted or not but im sure someone will tell me if it has

(Taken from bulletin as delivered to mot stations)

Any exhaust fitted to a vehicle that changes the sound from standard in even the slightest way is an instant fail.

So no standard system NO MOT...

Heard this from a friend, not sure if its already been posted or not but im sure someone will tell me if it has

Any exhaust fitted to a vehicle that changes the sound from standard in even the slightest way is an instant fail.

Hmm that will be an interesting regulation to enforce.....I assume the garage will be supplied with a audio file of every production vehicle and a sound meter to compare the new system with? :whistling:

If there is a new regulation (and not just a rumour) I would imagine it would cover "excessive noise" from the MoT testers judgement (or a general metered maximum level)...almost as bad really knowing some of the testers! :lol:

nothing on the gov site.....

Was covered on another site I saw yesterday and shot down in flames - would put too many people out of business if they enforced this one!

..:: Edit ::..

Actually there is a new directive - in my post a couple down :)

Oh actually they updated it since I last read that so sorry fella I was talking out my ***** - here's the new bit:

Section 7.1

Change to criteria for assessing exhaust noise in that the level of noise should be checked at all engine speeds required for the exhaust emissions check. Also, that the vehicle should be failed if the noise emitted is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a "standard" silencer in average condition.

Hopefully this is aimed more at the little 1.0s with stupidly loud exhausts - mines more bass than noise :lol:

Guess I'm as bad as you lot with your dodgy HIDs now :whistling: Then again there aren't many standard V300s about so it's not like they can compare :winky:

Hey if they do just go and do this then think about all the money we'll all save on car insurance - happy days :D