Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

I hadn't used the car for a couple of weeks and when I went to get in this morning the door wouldn't open.

I think the Battery is flat - niether of the red or green lights on the dashboard is flashing.

Does anyone have any idea how to get it open?

Suggestions would much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi All,

I hadn't used the car for a couple of weeks and when I went to get in this morning the door wouldn't open.

I think the battery is flat - niether of the red or green lights on the dashboard is flashing.

Does anyone have any idea how to get it open?

Suggestions would much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike, hope this helps

Recent post.

Best of luck

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=52648

Many thanks for that S Face, I have it open now.

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi Mike, glad your sorted, did you use the given solution or the big screw driver ?? I remember reading that solution a few weeks ago and thought, thats bound to be asked sooner or later.

For what its worth, I do very few miles now and will only get the car out of the garage once every week or two. Due to spinal injuries sustained a few years ago I only drive when I have to drive and when I do it has to be comfortable, hence the LS.

For years now I have used an Optimate III SP (http://www.batterychargerreviews.co.uk/tecmate/tecmate-optimate-3-sp-charger/) and swear by it. Its not so much as a charger but conditioner that tops it up when it needs it and best of all makes sure your not let down when you need the car.

Have a good one, all the best.

Mike (s face)

Ok, so I've got the car open and now I've put the trickle charger on to charge it.

Thing is that it's making this deep clicking sound from near the front of the bonnet in time with the charger going on and off - is that to be expected or should I disconnect the charger?

Thanks

Mike

PS Steve, re your point about the Smart system, I recently discovered that there's a button underneath the bonnet release catch (next to that knob that I asked about the other day) that you can press to disable the smart system. Very useful if leaving the car for any length of time. It's on p.48 in my manual in the "keys and doors" section.

Ok, so I've got the car open and now I've put the trickle charger on to charge it.

Thing is that it's making this deep clicking sound from near the front of the bonnet in time with the charger going on and off - is that to be expected or should I disconnect the charger?

Thanks

Mike

PS Steve, re your point about the Smart system, I recently discovered that there's a button underneath the bonnet release catch (next to that knob that I asked about the other day) that you can press to disable the smart system. Very useful if leaving the car for any length of time. It's on p.48 in my manual in the "keys and doors" section.

Mike

That is the alarm going off, only you haven't got enough charge in the Battery to make the horn sound, disconnect it now, it could damage the alarm or horns, disconnect the Battery before you charge it, the pulses from a car charger can damage all sorts of components.

Pete

Mike

When you reconnect the Battery make sure you have the smart key in your hand as the alarm will go off and you have to unlock the car to turn it off, it's very loud with the bonnet up and will scare you to death...

Pete

Hi Mike

Im like you in the sense I do very little mileage in my LS430. Ive had it for 5 months and I have done 800 miles - and that includes 3 motorway trips of 400 miles!! My Battery kept on going flat. Now I lock it with my key - even though its on my drive way. Battery is absolutely fine. Touch wood - I know it will start even if I havent driven it for a week.

Hi Mike

Im like you in the sense I do very little mileage in my LS430. Ive had it for 5 months and I have done 800 miles - and that includes 3 motorway trips of 400 miles!! My battery kept on going flat. Now I lock it with my key - even though its on my drive way. Battery is absolutely fine. Touch wood - I know it will start even if I havent driven it for a week.

That's amazing 3 motorway trips of 400 miles = 1200 miles but the car has only done 800 miles

I want one of these!

Thanks Pete, unfortunately I didn't read your reply in time and, having looked at other posts that said "it doesn't matter" I left it charging overnight.

By the morning the charger had given up the will to live and the Battery was completely flat.

The car however responded perfectly to being jump-started and I've since removed the Battery and I'm monitoring it carefully as it's charged by my new charger.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks Pete, unfortunately I didn't read your reply in time and, having looked at other posts that said "it doesn't matter" I left it charging overnight.

By the morning the charger had given up the will to live and the battery was completely flat.

The car however responded perfectly to being jump-started and I've since removed the battery and I'm monitoring it carefully as it's charged by my new charger.

Regards,

Mike

Mike

Oh well never mind at least it's getting sorted now, it might run a bit funny for a few days as the learning ecu has just been wiped..... Gearchanges may be felt and the throttle responce will be different. It will soon get to know your style of driving again though. Locking it with the key is the answer if your leaving it for a week though..

Pete