Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Won't Lock/unlock?

Hello everyone,

Something just aint right with my car!!!!!

Started yesterday afternoon when i went to get something out my car, pressed the button on the key fob to unlock the car and nothing happened ???? kept pressing it and about a minute later it finally opened, jsut thought it might be having a funny five minutes. Later went for a drive and after i got back the same thing??? ended up having to just lock the doors with the key.

On my lunch break today i went out and got a new Battery for the key fob, then it worked a couple of times...................

Got home from work about an hour ago and now its back to refusing to open???

Anybody have an idea's???? help much appreciated :unsure:

Jason :P

Does the interior light come on when you open the door?

Yes :unsure:

Just been outside and started the car up, when i rev the car the lights get brighter and when i don't the lights (including the interior ones) dim! :crying:

Oh, not sure then matey has it been sat for a while? battery/alternator might be on it's way out, if you have some jump leads and another car try riggin them together and see if it's the same when you rev the engine, might be way wide of the mark but may be worth checking.

Oh, not sure then matey has it been sat for a while? battery/alternator might be on it's way out, if you have some jump leads and another car try riggin them together and see if it's the same when you rev the engine, might be way wide of the mark but may be worth checking.

thats the thing, I drive the car for 40+ miles a day so the Battery is getting constantly charged????? I have my car booked in with Toyota GT at the end of this month but wanted to get this fixed before hand!

Cold weather has probably taken it's toll on the battery by the sounds of things. Mine was the same before christmas, I got one from halfords with a 4 year warranty for £65 but that was at trade price. Full price was just short of £100 :unsure:

Only had the Battery for about 6-7 months! And you also got ripped off! i almost bought a Halfords one but tried Lexus in the end but thought they would be more, was just over £50 from Lexus and they gave me a FIVE year warranty!

Hello everyone,

Something just aint right with my car!!!!!

Started yesterday afternoon when i went to get something out my car, pressed the button on the key fob to unlock the car and nothing happened ???? kept pressing it and about a minute later it finally opened, jsut thought it might be having a funny five minutes. Later went for a drive and after i got back the same thing??? ended up having to just lock the doors with the key.

On my lunch break today i went out and got a new battery for the key fob, then it worked a couple of times...................

Got home from work about an hour ago and now its back to refusing to open???

Anybody have an idea's???? help much appreciated :unsure:

Can you not just climb in through your sunroof :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry mate I had to :whistling:

thats the thing, I drive the car for 40+ miles a day so the Battery is getting constantly charged????? I have my car booked in with Toyota GT at the end of this month but wanted to get this fixed before hand!

Cold weather has probably taken it's toll on the battery by the sounds of things. Mine was the same before christmas, I got one from halfords with a 4 year warranty for £65 but that was at trade price. Full price was just short of £100 :unsure:

Only had the Battery for about 6-7 months! And you also got ripped off! i almost bought a Halfords one but tried Lexus in the end but thought they would be more, was just over £50 from Lexus and they gave me a FIVE year warranty!

My nearest dealer is about an hour and a half away though so guess I'll have to be happy with it :crybaby:

Could be the Alternator then matey if thats not working properly then the Battery has no chance, even more so at this time of year.

Have you only got 1 key? have you tried resetting it?

Could be the Alternator then matey if thats not working properly then the Battery has no chance, even more so at this time of year.

Have you only got 1 key? have you tried resetting it?

Unfortunately i only have the one key :crybaby: Car starts first time and gauge shows a steady 12-13 volts.

i can see this being one of those little problems that goes on and on! :crybaby:

Perhaps your getting interference. Is your mobile near you or the car? Its unlikely admittedly.....

Nothing has changed from what i normally do that the weird thing??? :crybaby:

Thanks for the comments guys, everything helps! :unsure:

I have had this problem car starts no problem but the doors wont open from the key tried new batteries in key and it worked fine for a couple of times then stopped again. Turned out it was the Battery shorting out and discharging after a couple of presses. moisture had got in the key and there was some corrosionwhich was causing the the problem. Who'd of thunk it.

Is it a master key (i.e. does the security light in the dash extinghuish straight away when you insert the key) ? If so, get another key and programme it up and you can see if the problem is specific to one key, as well as meaning you're not totally stuffed if you lose that one key.

Think this may be the best thing for me to try, thanks guys looks like im after a new key then or an old one and a new blank. :D