Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New 148 Kg Diesel Engine

Anybody know anything about the cleaner diesel in the 220 due in March? Is it cheaper, more ecomonical? Its mentioned on the Lexus Web site but nothing else apart from contacting the dealer.

:yawn:

In bringing the CO2 figure down from 163 to 148g/km, the IS 220d enjoys a more advantageous position in terms of Benefit-in-Kind company car tax rates and the allowance companies can write down against Corporation Tax. The new BIK rate is 20 per cent and for the 2009/10 tax year the reduced CO2 level allows companies to offset more of the IS 220d’s capital cost against Corporation Tax at a rate of 20 per cent. Taking the IS 220d SE-I as an example, this means companies can save up to £1,335 in Corporation Tax compared to the previous 2009 model with 163g/km emissions.

The economic profile of the luxury sports saloon is further enhanced by a new Band C rating for Vehicle Excise Duty, plus reduced fuel costs thanks to improvements in fuel consumption which raise the combined cycle mpg by nine per cent, from 46.3 to 50.4.

...and you'll be pleased to know the engine revisions haven't impinged on it's staggering performance figures :whistling:

And there were some on this forum saying Lexus would never update their diesel engine...

As for the new engine, the figures are impressive, 148 in Co2 and 50.4 mpg in the combined cycle, added to the already lower OTR price of Lexus compared to the competition, makes the 220d a strong option as a company car.

And there were some on this forum saying Lexus would never update their diesel engine...

As for the new engine, the figures are impressive, 148 in Co2 and 50.4 mpg in the combined cycle, added to the already lower OTR price of Lexus compared to the competition, makes the 220d a strong option as a company car.

The opinion was that Lexus would not make another Lexus diesel, not that any necessary modifications would be made. After all it is only available due to European Lexus Dealers requirements to capture some of the European fleet market, which is obviously their motivation for the modifications made to the 2AD-FHV engine. It's still no comparison to the superior diesel engines available from the competition and with the lead BMW/Audi etc. already have, I can't see Lexus developing a diesel engine for the Lexus range again to compete in the same market.

The opinion was that Lexus would not make another Lexus diesel, not that any necessary modifications would be made. After all it is only available due to European Lexus Dealers requirements to capture some of the European fleet market, which is obviously their motivation for the modifications made to the 2AD-FHV engine. It's still no comparison to the superior diesel engines available from the competition and with the lead BMW/Audi etc. already have, I can't see Lexus developing a diesel engine for the Lexus range again to compete in the same market.

any new diesels in the lexus range will always be toyota sourced units ,just as audi would use a vw unit.there were many posters on here saying that the diesel would be dropped altogether and i think that was the point being made.without the diesel sales in europe would be in big trouble and never an option.

I would think the sensible option for Lexus to do would be to develop a six cylinder diesel engine, capacity around 2.7 to 3.0 litres. Maybe twin turbo. It would be powerful enough to make a good GS diesel, but also give them a really quick diesel IS.

That should eat into BMW sales quite a bit, most of the 5-series I see on the roads are diesel now, as well as the 3-series.

With the actual new IS diesel engine in the 220, is it a new engine or just a remapped version of the original? 50mpg would be good if it ever achieves it for customers.

I would think the sensible option for Lexus to do would be to develop a six cylinder diesel engine, capacity around 2.7 to 3.0 litres. Maybe twin turbo. It would be powerful enough to make a good GS diesel, but also give them a really quick diesel IS.

That should eat into BMW sales quite a bit, most of the 5-series I see on the roads are diesel now, as well as the 3-series.

With the actual new IS diesel engine in the 220, is it a new engine or just a remapped version of the original? 50mpg would be good if it ever achieves it for customers.

yes a six would be a welcome addition,i wonder if lexus will start to develop a similar system that GM are currently working on,it is a system hat pressurises petrol in the same way to that of diesel which greatly improves fuel economy,i can't remember what it is called but it was articled in auto express some months ago.

It's not just the CO2 or the economy - the drive needs to be good too - the gearing and final drive is questionable in the original non-Sport ISD, even the gearchange is pretty average for a luxury car. Then there is a complete lack of choice - no Auto, just one engine...

That really is where Audi, BMW and Mercedes have it licked. Auto's, different displacements, same displacements with differing outputs, 4 pots, 6 pots. It's all there....And whilst Audi does use some VW units, they are bloomin' brilliant engines - all developed so that they can sit in either camp comfortably. You have to be brave to say that about the Lexus/Toyota 177 Diesel unit which is only average and can only compete on NOX, which is now so marginal.

I'm glad that Lexus is doing this, I just hope it's not another half hearted attempt....without a low Co2 engine, Lexus could be a dead duck in europe as the Hyb's are all premium price......even the Hybrid GS can't really compete for sheer driveability compared to the 535d and when it comes to petrol engines - the new Audi 3.0 TFSI looks awesome...sheer performance and relativtively low Co2. Just check out the figures.