Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Royal Mail Scam?

FuntimePhil

Anyone had this?

I had a "sorry we missed you" red card in the post yesterday, appeared to have been from the Royal Mail

It said to arrange redelivery call this number, so i rang it and quoted the ref.

The lady said asked me to confirm Name and Address which i did, then she said for DPA purposes could i please give my DOB.

I paused for a minute and then asked why she would need that and she said for dpa purposes? so i asked how the royal mail would have my DOB to check against in the first place? she said she couldnt discuss it with out my dob, i told her i would give it to her until i got an explanation, then she said "fine" and hung up!!!

Sounds a little dodgy to me!!

Agreed, this doesnt smell right.

We made a decision two years ago anyone calling by phone or writing to us who wanted DOB's or any other private information to rufuse it.

The good news is our bank has even stopped cold calling us to sell us stuff. They have finally realised if we want something we will phone them.

If it doesnt look right and it doesnt smell right it's almost certainly not right.

All the best. If it is important they will come back !!

That is a scam mate!

Ever since stuff was outsourced to India there have been a lot of reports of people selling data to the highest bidder - wonder if this lot have certain details and they're just tying up loose ends or confirming what they have?

What number did it say to call?

May be worth popping down to your local police station just to report it just in case something on a larger scale is going on.

Normally the post office cards will say you can pick it up at the local sorting office - did it have that bit on it?

Anyone had this?

I had a "sorry we missed you" red card in the post yesterday, appeared to have been from the Royal Mail

It said to arrange redelivery call this number, so i rang it and quoted the ref.

The lady said asked me to confirm Name and Address which i did, then she said for DPA purposes could i please give my DOB.

I paused for a minute and then asked why she would need that and she said for dpa purposes? so i asked how the royal mail would have my DOB to check against in the first place? she said she couldnt discuss it with out my dob, i told her i would give it to her until i got an explanation, then she said "fine" and hung up!!!

Sounds a little dodgy to me!!

Did you check whether the number you were asked to call was a premium rate number? If it was and you talked to them, you may be about to get a bill.

Leaving a "you were out when we called" card and asking you to call a premium rate number to re-arrange delivery is a common scam.

What number did you ring? Chances are they (the scammers) will have posted a number of them out, which means the numbers printed on them should be stuck on the internet so people who think to check will be able to see it's a scam...

I work for Royal mail mate and i can tell you that they/we would never ask you for your DOB.....was it a recorded or special delivery item..? only reason i ask is because we would only use a PDA for getting signatures.....

to me smells very funny...best thing is to go and collect it and see what it is safest bet ....

Also the red delivery cards would have an option to pick up down your local royal mail office...