Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Browser Keeps Crashing

Parthiban

My browser keeps crashing over and over (over 10 times a day) and this happens with both Google Chrome and IE8. I'm starting to wonder whether I have a bug on my system, but both adaware and my virus checker (bitdefender) are not finding anything.

Is there any other software I should run to find out what it is or could the problem be something else entirely?

It could be a third party plugin causing the problem.

In Internet Explorer you can try disabling and enabling third party addons - maybe worth disabling all of them and then turn them back on one by one until you can indentify the root case?

Have you got any third part download management software?

I don't think anything is running at the mo, and in any case think the only plug in I've got is flash.

In terms of download software, I have Vuze, but don't really use it much.

The weird thing is that when you open task manager, iexplore.exe is in there about 15 times despite only one window being open.............

Have you got up to date AV software installed on there?

Does IE8 work like Chrome and use an individual process for each tab as that could explain all the IExplore.exe processes you are seeing?

Does IE8 work like Chrome and use an individual process for each tab as that could explain all the IExplore.exe processes you are seeing?

Not sure, but I only had 2 tabs open at the time anyway............

Yep I have bitdefender, what anti-virus would you recommend?

Actually just had a quick look on MSDN and IE8 uses LCIE which is pretty much how Chrome works.

It is still in beta though so it's not going to be the most stable thing - in IE7 there was a Manage Add Ons menu and then Enable / Disable - might be worth looking for that as there are loads of things that can get registered in there and cause problems for the browser itself.

Not sure, but I only had 2 tabs open at the time anyway............

Yep I have bitdefender, what anti-virus would you recommend?

To be honest mate that should be ok as long as the defs are uptodate - may be worth downloading SpyBot and running that to see if it spots anything?

I would say to use Spybot S&D aswell mate...or Spyware doctor.......I run Kaspersky internet security 2009 on my laptop and desktop never had a problem..... :)

also if you know what you are doing and looking for try Hijack this.....

Malwarebytes is the business for removing malware from your PC.... Worth keeping an up-to-date copy of the installer on a USB pen, then you can run it from Safe Mode which stops any malware which might be embedded in the registry from running when the system starts up.

www.malwarebytes.org

Thanks for all this, I tried Spybot first and that found two things, one called Nebuler and the other called DoubleClick. Removed those and then ran malwarebytes which found some files it labelled as trojans.

Didn't try it in safe mode yet, will do that if the problem persists but hopefully that's cured it.

Although it does show that one spyware checker isn't enough, I'll be running all three of these every so often now to make sure my system's always clear :)

Your best bet mate ..like you said run a FULL scan of malwarebytes in safe mode....hope you get it sorted.. :)

I just came across THIS

Are there potential problems with running it in safe mode?