Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I popped into my local Toyota dealership today to get a price for a Rav 4, without a word from me they dropped the asking price by over £3k for a brand new XR-t, but then came the shock, they only offered me less than 30% of the purchace price on my 2yr 10 month old RX300 with 13K on the clock.

One thing that worried me was that the Rav4 has no spare wheel only a repair kit. Salesman said this is no worry as the emergency service will come take care of a puncture if it is not able to be repaired with the kit.

Yeah don't worry, when it blows at 2am on Christmas morning way in the back of beyond. If it had a spare I could be on my way in less than half an hour.

Guess I'm looking at buying two years extra warranty and then at the rate of depreciation I could throw the 300 away and get 5 years out of it at £6.5k a year. So far it's cost me a few quid short of £8k a year

I popped into my local Toyota dealership today to get a price for a Rav 4, without a word from me they dropped the asking price by over £3k for a brand new XR-t, but then came the shock, they only offered me less than 30% of the purchace price on my 2yr 10 month old RX300 with 13K on the clock.

One thing that worried me was that the Rav4 has no spare wheel only a repair kit. Salesman said this is no worry as the emergency service will come take care of a puncture if it is not able to be repaired with the kit.

Yeah don't worry, when it blows at 2am on Christmas morning way in the back of beyond. If it had a spare I could be on my way in less than half an hour.

Guess I'm looking at buying two years extra warranty and then at the rate of depreciation I could throw the 300 away and get 5 years out of it at £6.5k a year. So far it's cost me a few quid short of £8k a year

Changing an 06 RX for a Rav4? Why? You will miss the RX when its gone!

In these cases it is the cost to change moreso than what they ask for their car and give you for yours.

But aso bear in mind that RXs are pretty much worthless in the open market - only worth what anyone is willing to pay.

I have a 2007 RX350 - cost me £30K - stealers have offered me £16-18K in part ex against similar cars, a year newer, priced between £25-28K. Therefore a cost to change of at least £7,500 (best offer) to £10,000 (worst). I walked away from puzzled looking salesmen who thought they were offering a fantastic deal, until I pointed out to them I would be setting myself up for even more future depreciation, just proven by themselves.

I have a 2007 RX350 - cost me £30K - stealers have offered me £16-18K in part ex against similar cars, a year newer, priced between £25-28K. Therefore a cost to change of at least £7,500 (best offer) to £10,000 (worst). I walked away from puzzled looking salesmen who thought they were offering a fantastic deal, until I pointed out to them I would be setting myself up for even more future depreciation, just proven by themselves.

Yeah I got offered £9500, I change cars every three years as the warranty runs out, over the last 12 years I have had a Ford Explorer, Freelander, Jeep and Lexus. By far the Lexus is the best, most reliable car I have owned. As long as I can afford to buy new I will, I have always lost about 50% of the value of each of the SUV's I have owned over the three years I have owned them. I thought the Lexus would have held it's value a little better but it's lost over 75% and only done 13K miles.

I can't see how the luxury market can survive with this kind of depreciation. I was going to get a 400SR at £35k but had an unexpected bill for home repairs of £15k so this cut into my pot of available car money. There's no way I'm going to pay £25k to loose even more in three years time that's why I'm now looking at a Rav4 at £20k, most I can lose in 3 years is £20k even if I threw the car away at the end of that time.

I am seriously considering getting the two years extended warranty at £1600, does anyone here know if Lexus are flexible on this price?

Steve