Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Back Brake Discs

Hi i was just washing my car and noticed the back brake discs are SLIGHTLY rusty looking, My neighbour has a 55 plate bmw and he is on 3rd one that i know of and ge says that it happens quite alot to all his bmw that he has had in the past........This is what he told me to do

But mate thinks no. As it could warp the discs

Spray wb40 go for a drive and 4 or 5 times over a 5 mins drive apply the handbrake slowly and then release while driving....

Anyone else beleif in this... Done want to do it only when the pads and discs are all new only 6 momths old

Hi i was just washing my car and noticed the back brake discs are SLIGHTLY rusty looking, My neighbour has a 55 plate bmw and he is on 3rd one that i know of and ge says that it happens quite alot to all his bmw that he has had in the past........This is what he told me to do

But mate thinks no. As it could warp the discs

Spray wb40 go for a drive and 4 or 5 times over a 5 mins drive apply the handbrake slowly and then release while driving....

Anyone else beleif in this... Done want to do it only when the pads and discs are all new only 6 momths old

your mate is right and your neighbour is a fool... applying the handbrake wont get rid of the rust on the drum of the disk.

With referance to the Yank, I think that the key to his accident is partly the fact that he had new tyres on.... The release agent in the manufacturing process will still be on the tyres and mixed with wet conditions and the guy being a revhead contributed to the prang... Always take it easy on new tyres because of the release agent that stays on the surface.

Don't spray oil on to your discs... Just use your brakes more often

spraying wd40 onto your discs will be a waste of time, and will contaminate your pads. if you have rust on the braking surface of the rear discs, then a good drive with some hard braking will help clear this. you must brake hard to get the rear brakes working as they recieve less pressure then the fronts. if its on the rest of the disc (i.e. the hub part nearest the wheel, your parkbrake is situated inside here so applying it wont get rid of external rust) then best to remove your wheel and rear discs and give them a respray, or buy new if needed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links