33 Chess Business Park

Moor Road

Chesham

Buckinghamshire HP5 1SD

Our telephone number is 01494 797825

ye thats a bit far!lol

Yes only 540 miles for me but well worth it :D :D

I hope that 540 was there and back! :o

I'm looking into WIM'img mine, last service they said i had abit of inner edge tyre wear which i've read is a problem WIM'ing can relieve... does it really have a huge effect on the handling???

Cheers

No thats one way mate :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My other question is would using a lexus dealership be an option, do they have a reputation for doing this job well?

Simple answer is NO WAY mate

Firstly-- All lexus dealerships have a minimum specified tool/equipment list-as specified by lexus itself. without them it cant be a lexus dealership. the is200 has a common problem with tyre wear- this is because of a number of things-mainly--

tyre pressures!! if the tyre pressure is kept at or above 33psi then this helps dramatically.

getting the Full Wheel Alignment done when you replace the front tyres and ensuring its done properly. castor, camber and toe should be with-in spec' camber and toe are adjustable and the castor should be in, if not the the castor arm is worn (again another common part that wears, owners are told about but isnt changed). the rears can seize, but if done properly should be ok.

all lexus dealerships do this service and if you find your tyres wear at an un-reasonable rate after you have had it done then talk to your dealership about it. if your car is in good condition (no worn parts) and you check your tyre pressures reguarly as it states in your handbook to do so, then you are doing all you can on your part and the dealership should look into the problem. you may have an underlying fault somewhere (i.e. previous damage not rectified properly for example), and they will be able to advise you further as to why you have excessive tyre wear (i.e. hard driving)

Also just to point out, all these is200/300's that are on the road had a wheel alignment done by the selling dealership when the car was new, its part of the is200/300 pdi. im sure that if they could do it then, then they could do it now.

Also just to point out, all these is200/300's that are on the road had a wheel alignment done by the selling dealership when the car was new, its part of the is200/300 pdi. im sure that if they could do it then, then they could do it now.

Hmm. As I understand it, wheel alignment is quite a different thing from a full geometry setup.

Also, Lexus dealers may well still use the OEM geometry settings, which are faulty, so they won't fix tyre wear issues !

Don't go to Lexus if you have tyre wear problems, go to WIM.

wheel alignment, geometry setup, tracking.... its all the same thing, just diferent names. basically, you are ajusting the vehicles stance/position it sits on the road. it can only be done by changing or adjusting certain suspension parts on the car. ie- the bottom bolt on the rear hub and the toe bar on the front of the rear hub.

and the castor arm (checking for wear and replace if needed), the camber bolt on the subframe/bottom arm and the steering rack end.

you do get different grades as noted. ie- just your front wheels striaghtend by a tyre firm for instance. here they take it that your rears are straight and put the fronts in by adjusting the steeringrack ends.wouldnt advise this unless your rear suspension is non adjustable (like that on a ford fiesta).

a full wheel alignment as done by all lexus centers and some other garages such as WIM- this includes making the rear square first, then adjusting the castor camber and toe.bring it into spec.

all lexus centers also have LOTTS- lexus online technical support. here they are updated with all Current data for all lexus models. if you are having excessive tyre wear after a full alignment then either the center is doing it incorrectly, you are not checking your tyre pressures properly/fequently or there is a fault with the car. tyre pressures are critical on these models. anything below 30psi and you will get excessive wear on the inner edges, vehicles that come in that are obviously cared for with the correct tyre pressure dont have this problem. follow the chart on the drivers door shut/b-post for the correct tyre pressures you require.

all lexus dealerships do this service and if you find your tyres wear at an un-reasonable rate after you have had it done then talk to your dealership about it. if your car is in good condition (no worn parts) and you check your tyre pressures reguarly as it states in your handbook to do so, then you are doing all you can on your part and the dealership should look into the problem. you may have an underlying fault somewhere (i.e. previous damage not rectified properly for example), and they will be able to advise you further as to why you have excessive tyre wear (i.e. hard driving)

Sorry but that really is a huge cop out for any Lexus Dealer (highlighted in bold) as the IS200 is no longer made,

so ANY dealership can say the tyre wear is down to worn parts, also to blame tyre wear on your driving style is

again a bit of a cop out. The Hunter machine used at WIM will also identify bent suspension components on the

computer screen and in printout, so you can ensure you are getting the correct replacement part.

Many garages will say oh it is "such & such" a part that is wrong, you then go ahead & replace it, then they say

"where you have fitted a new part, the worn one next to it is now causing the issue".... & so it goes on.

the is200 has a common problem with tyre wear- this is because of a number of things-

I find it very strange the main reason for the common inner front tyre wear is not included in your list :o :o :shutit:

The only way to get the best full geometry set up for the IS200 in the UK IMO is to go to the man who knows

more about IS200/IS300 geometry than anyone else, so much so that he re-wrote the book on it.

Go to WIM. Nuff said :winky:

all lexus centers also have LOTTS- lexus online technical support. here they are updated with all Current data for all lexus models. if you are having excessive tyre wear after a full alignment then either the center is doing it incorrectly, you are not checking your tyre pressures properly/fequently or there is a fault with the car. tyre pressures are critical on these models. anything below 30psi and you will get excessive wear on the inner edges, vehicles that come in that are obviously cared for with the correct tyre pressure dont have this problem. follow the chart on the drivers door shut/b-post for the correct tyre pressures you require.

ok, but you don't seem to be acknowledging that Lexus's own OEM settings for the geometry are actually largely responsible for the excessive tyre wear (not just pressures). So if Lexus use those settings, it ain't going to help ! :winky:

wheel alignment, geometry setup, tracking.... its all the same thing, just diferent names.

Sorry fella but you are incorrect, please do not try to tell me some spotty oik at a 'fast fit' centre with a

couple of mirrors & a laser pointer is the same thing as a Full Geometry Set Up (as available at WIM).

That is surely either sheer ignorance, or an uneducated use of jargon.

a full wheel alignment as done by all lexus centers and some other garages such as WIM- this includes making the rear square first, then adjusting the castor camber and toe.bring it into spec.

again a misuse of a term with regards to WIM, there is a massive difference between "full wheel alignment"

and "Full Geometry Set Up" and when you have done some research on the subject and educated yourself further

then you can come back to lecture us :)

this includes making the rear square first, then adjusting the castor camber and toe.bring it into spec.

as for this, I will let the man who knows more than you or I answer with regards to the procedure involved.

Over to you Tony :D

At the end of the day as far as I am aware every car Tony has "corrected" no longer not suffer from the tyre wear problems, mine did and now all the tyres wear equaly so problem solved and all down to WIM.

This is not a new thing it is 100% proven by many, many owners over what must be many thousands of miles if you take every owner with the new correct settings.

As I have found out lexus OC members are very particular about their cars, so things like this are for real and stand up to any test you should want to put the cars through!!

tyre pressures are critical on these models. anything below 30psi and you will get excessive wear on the inner edges, vehicles that come in that are obviously cared for with the correct tyre pressure dont have this problem. follow the chart on the drivers door shut/b-post for the correct tyre pressures you require.

I would prefer to ignore those recommendations and follow WIM's advice to use 35psi all round, due to WIM's extensive work on this subject.

stevie i do agree that the original settings allowed too much adjustment to be classed as being 'in spec' and most lexus dealerships know of this and so have adjusted to suit. but i see it time after time where the tyres are worn and they are only at 29psi, the wheel aligments are carried out in a specific order- tyres checked and pressures adjusted are some of the prep work before the alignment.so the car is set up with the tyres at a certain pressure. obviously if the pressure decreases too much then the alignment can be effected. hope this helps your understanding.

dj wozza- lexus dealerships only work on lexus cars (or should do) they know the car inside and out and its theyre job too. why not get them to do a vsr on the vehicle before any work- then you would know if any parts were in need of replacing. its not a cop-out its making sure the car is in good order- how can you blame a lexus center for tyre wear if you scuffed your alloy on the curb or hiut a pot hole???? they and yourself need to make sure everything else is in order first. and yes driving styles is bit of a cop out but again it happens- i.e.- old chap drives his car gently to and from town each day- not much tyre wear---- young lad (sorry for stereotyping) drives his car the same distance but gives it abit of hard braking and aggressive cornering through the countryside. which one will wear out first??? obviously the 2nd. even though they travel the same distance in the same car. it cant be ignored.

any full wheel alignment machine will identify that a part is worn/bent, if its out of spec' and cant be adjusted then there must be an underlying issue with a component on the car. its down to the technician to check before carrying out the wheel alignment.

i do agree with your comment that some garages say its one part then another then another. i dont agree with this either. sometimes though it cant be helped as 2 parts are connected can wear together, you replace the worse one but yet its still not right so have to replace the other.

and i think if you read my list again, im stating why the tyres are worn, not where on the tyres are wearing.

35psi is fine, they do perform and sit better with more pressure, as i said its when they are down on pressure when they have issues.

dj wozza its down to you how you want to say it, but its the same thing, mostly 'fastfit' centers call it tracking. just make sure you use the places that are able to do it properly with a full wheel alignment measuring all 4 wheels independantly. i personally wouldnt recommend any1 to a fast fit center for anything. and if you do use one of those centers then do be aware they do only adjust the fronts to match the back. finally im not lecturing, im informing you. get off your high horse and come back when youve grown up. no need to be snotty.

and i think you misunderstanding that im all for WIM its good to see someone taking their time and doing a proper job. just wanted to let you all know there are other options out there and where else should you take a lexus to but a lexus garage??? . and im more then aware of how to carry out a wheel alignment on any car thank you.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links