Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone know how to backup Memory of POI's on satnav. Their is a option on the service menu to backup Memory and an option to restore memory. If I press backup then the system says no backup device inserted, or when saying restore it gives the same message. I found information that sugests that a backup of the GPS memory must done before performing any updates and then restored afterwards.

It also claimes backups should be done before removing vehicle Battery.

I am very worried should I lose my speed camera locations and warnings that took me many hours to manualy enter. Unfortunately Lexus has no method of downloading this type of info automaticly like Garmin and some other vehicle satnavs. I also hope Lexus will remove the stupid lack of ability to disable the stopping of the use of the satnav while the vehicle is in motion, my wife is used to operate the BM's one while I drive the car. I believe it was possible on the 2006 model and was disabled by lexus on 2007 and 2008 models. So I now have to use a Garmin stuck to my window when traveling on long trips.

Happy with the Lexus otherwise and good on fuel economy, got 7.7 litres/100km overall on a 1200km holiday trip and most of the time at between 110 and 130 Kph and some serious overtaking bursts at +-170Kph for the overtake duration..... Very happy with this as it included some city traffic runs.

Anyone know how to backup Memory of POI's on satnav. Their is a option on the service menu to backup Memory and an option to restore memory. If I press backup then the system says no backup device inserted, or when saying restore it gives the same message. I found information that sugests that a backup of the GPS memory must done before performing any updates and then restored afterwards.

It also claimes backups should be done before removing vehicle battery.

I am very worried should I lose my speed camera locations and warnings that took me many hours to manualy enter. Unfortunately Lexus has no method of downloading this type of info automaticly like Garmin and some other vehicle satnavs. I also hope Lexus will remove the stupid lack of ability to disable the stopping of the use of the satnav while the vehicle is in motion, my wife is used to operate the BM's one while I drive the car. I believe it was possible on the 2006 model and was disabled by lexus on 2007 and 2008 models. So I now have to use a Garmin stuck to my window when traveling on long trips.

Happy with the Lexus otherwise and good on fuel economy, got 7.7 litres/100km overall on a 1200km holiday trip and most of the time at between 110 and 130 Kph and some serious overtaking bursts at +-170Kph for the overtake duration..... Very happy with this as it included some city traffic runs.

I am not sure about how to download the POI's to a device, but regarding using Sat Nav while the vehicle in motion, you need to get hold of the new 2008/09 Navigation DVD's that will update the software and allow this feature. Apparently you only need to borrow them, as once inserted and with the software updated, you can revert back to your old DVD's.

I assume you need to plug into a diagnostic computer to backup- its probably there for dealers when they are disconnecting the Battery etc so that the customer doesn't lose data.

I think the latest European update of the nav disc allows input on the move- don't know if its the same for SA.

I assume you need to plug into a diagnostic computer to backup- its probably there for dealers when they are disconnecting the battery etc so that the customer doesn't lose data.

I think the latest European update of the nav disc allows input on the move- don't know if its the same for SA.

Dear RobertB and GiorgoXXI

Thanks for replying, I just purchased the 2009 DVD and took a chance installing it, Thank goodness it did not delete my Traffic Camera POI's.

The dealers mechanic does not know how to do backups, and was quite surprised when I showed him the menu item for backups and restore. (scary)

Unfortunately the new CD does still not allow use when the car is moving, It seems to be a Lexus Legal issue but this law only applies to some US States. The dealer tells me it is for my own safety but is not worried if I stop the car to change my route and I get hijacked or mugged, a common problem in our country. If someone does stop to get location help from their GPS and gets mugged I can only hope they sue Lexus for forcing them to stop the car to get help from its GPS they paid a fortune for.

Will have to carry on using my Garmin till I can afford to trade it in on a BMW.

Thanks for trying to help, it is much appreciated and I really hope someone will find a solution.

So everyone who loves this car as much as I do PLEASE KEEP TRYING.

Thanks Again.

I assume you need to plug into a diagnostic computer to backup- its probably there for dealers when they are disconnecting the battery etc so that the customer doesn't lose data.

Thanks for replying, I just purchased the 2009 DVD and took a chance installing it, Thank goodness it did not delete my Traffic Camera POI's.

The dealers mechanic does not know how to do backups, and was quite surprised when I showed him the menu item for backups and restore. (scary)

Unfortunately the new CD does still not allow use when the car is moving, It seems to be a Lexus Legal issue but this law only applies to some US States. The dealer tells me it is for my own safety but is not worried if I stop the car to change my route and I get hijacked or mugged, a common problem in our country. If someone does stop to get location help from their GPS and gets mugged I can only hope they sue Lexus for forcing them to stop the car to get help from its GPS they paid a fortune for.

Will have to carry on using my Garmin till I can afford to trade it in on a BMW.

Thanks for trying to help, it is much appreciated and I really hope someone will find a solution.

Thanks Again.

I did not realise you were not from Europe. Only the European Dvd overrides the lock. Your only other option is to do the nav hack, where by cutting a couple of cables from behind the MM you can unlock all screens (including Dvd playback). You can find the details of the hack by searching on this forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Again.

I did not realise you were not from Europe. Only the European Dvd overrides the lock. Your only other option is to do the nav hack, where by cutting a couple of cables from behind the MM you can unlock all screens (including Dvd playback). You can find the details of the hack by searching on this forum.

Dear giorgoXXI,

I think you may be wrong about the European DVD overrides lock, as I have checked and it is also locked in Europe since 2006 DVD release. I have found a group of hackers in Holland and another in the East that can and are prepared for a small fee to Hack the whole Nav DVD and open it up to full modification of data, they say that they will return my original DVD with 3 backup copies. I will wait for a resolution from Lexus before resorting to piracy and I am also a bit reluctant to part with my original. Seems to me that the high cost of map updates for Car GPS units are motivating hackers and pirates. Unfortunately the hard wire fix you speak about voids the Lexus warranty, and I am also not prepared to take this route on a brand new car. It is a great pity that Lexus's arogance has trashed a great car, but it will bite them back in their pockets with sales, I can name several people that have avoided Lexus because of this issue. Also the sales people do not inform one of these problems when one purchases but it is starting to become a known issue among owners and they are talking.

Thanks Again.

Dear giorgoXXI,

I think you may be wrong about the European DVD overrides lock, as I have checked and it is also locked in Europe since 2006 DVD release. I have found a group of hackers in Holland and another in the East that can and are prepared for a small fee to Hack the whole Nav DVD and open it up to full modification of data, they say that they will return my original DVD with 3 backup copies. I will wait for a resolution from Lexus before resorting to piracy and I am also a bit reluctant to part with my original. Seems to me that the high cost of map updates for Car GPS units are motivating hackers and pirates. Unfortunately the hard wire fix you speak about voids the Lexus warranty, and I am also not prepared to take this route on a brand new car. It is a great pity that Lexus's arogance has trashed a great car, but it will bite them back in their pockets with sales, I can name several people that have avoided Lexus because of this issue. Also the sales people do not inform one of these problems when one purchases but it is starting to become a known issue among owners and they are talking.

The new 2009 European DVD (E11) definately overrides the navigation lock, 100% sure. The override you are talking about was not an official override, it was meant for workshop engineers (I am talking about the one where you press the screen corners). That one was removed since 2006 and is not available anymore. The new override is an official one, no need for any soft hack.

Regarding the hard wire fix, you can buy plug and play devices that plug at the back of the MM that do the same thing without the need of cutting any wires (and hence voiding warranty). If you ever need to take the car for repairs you simply remove it.

I am not aware of the consequences of putting a European Sat nav DVD on a non-European Lexus (maybe someone over here knows more about it), but if you can get hold of the 2009 European DVDs, you may be able to use them to update the firmware on you Nav (and unlock navigation in motion), and then swap back your original DVDs.

Thanks Again.

Dear giorgoXXI,

The new 2009 European DVD (E11) definately overrides the navigation lock, 100% sure. The override you are talking about was not an official override, it was meant for workshop engineers (I am talking about the one where you press the screen corners). That one was removed since 2006 and is not available anymore. The new override is an official one, no need for any soft hack.

Regarding the hard wire fix, you can buy plug and play devices that plug at the back of the MM that do the same thing without the need of cutting any wires (and hence voiding warranty). If you ever need to take the car for repairs you simply remove it.

I am not aware of the consequences of putting a European Sat nav DVD on a non-European Lexus (maybe someone over here knows more about it), but if you can get hold of the 2009 European DVDs, you may be able to use them to update the firmware on you Nav (and unlock navigation in motion), and then swap back your original DVDs.

Dear giorgoXXI,

If you are correct you are a STAR, I will follow up on your info.

The Plug at the back of the MM, where is it and what needs removal to get access to it. Also what type of plug is it? USB or SD etc. I believe the UK and South African Lexus Products come from the same plant, just have different options. We have 2 versions of IS250 the IS250SE and the Standard IS250 available in Auto or Manual. he SE version is basically FULL HOUSE and includes all options except Moon Roof, I own the IS250SE with Moon roof. The only thing my car does not have and it is available on USA Models is a Flip down "Sun Glasses" Holder in the overhead console, a very useful item in very sunny SA.

We should start a Skype group for Lexus owners.

Thanks again

Thanks Again.

Dear giorgoXXI,

Dear giorgoXXI,

If you are correct you are a STAR, I will follow up on your info.

The Plug at the back of the MM, where is it and what needs removal to get access to it. Also what type of plug is it? USB or SD etc. I believe the UK and South African Lexus Products come from the same plant, just have different options. We have 2 versions of IS250 the IS250SE and the Standard IS250 available in Auto or Manual. he SE version is basically FULL HOUSE and includes all options except Moon Roof, I own the IS250SE with Moon roof. The only thing my car does not have and it is available on USA Models is a Flip down "Sun Glasses" Holder in the overhead console, a very useful item in very sunny SA.

We should start a Skype group for Lexus owners.

Thanks again

Have a look at the following link:

Prolex UK

That is what you need. I am unaware of the exact installation details but it is more or less removing the plug from the MM system, pluging it to this device and then plugin this device to the MM system (so it kind of acts like a bridge). To install it you will obviously need to take out the MM system, which involves a serious of steps (remove trim panels, vents, bolts etc) that you can find if you search in this forum.

Regarding the flip down sun glasses compartment, I think European models don't have it because instead there are motion sensors inside it which are not required in the USA (hence they can afford to have extra space that they use for sun glasses).