Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Manual Transmission Vs Automatic Transmission

Hello :)

I finaly got the insurance money from my insurance company ''only'' 6 months after my last Lexus IS 200 Sport got totaled(picz in the registry :whistling: ).

And I got my driver license back, it was temporarily confiscated during the police investigation.

So I am looking at a this new Lexus IS 200 (not sport) with Automatic Transmission and i was wondering how it's like compared to my last Lexus with Manual Transmission.

Any troubles with the IS 200 AT? Was wondering because it looks like the IS200 AT is almost 20% cheaper than the ones with MT (this is in Norway).

Here is the IS 200 I'm talking about (Translated with babelfish and its not good at Norwgian -> English translations apparently :P )

Absolutely nothing wrong with the autos, still very happy with mine - the only thing to bear in mind, is that they are considerably slower than the manuals, and fuel economy is really poor.

But other than that, I have no quibbles :)

Okay :)

How poor is the fuel economy? MT vs AT

I do most of my driving around down, and usually get around 20-21mpg. On a longer run I think you can get 26-27 mpg.......

So probably a few mpg less than the manual - not catastrophic, but the manual's already so bad on fuel that it's not great that you lose on economy and performance..........

The IS200 has a good 6 speed close ratio manual gearbox, so that would definetly be my choice over the 4-speed auto which is less economical and makes the car even slower.

not if you have a Supercharger :winky:

Money cheat? :)

Seriously i can't afford a supercharger.

Anyways i'm buying this car :)

Couldnt see the point in buying a manual, the IS200 is a slow car anyway so its all about the extra comfort of the automatic in my opinion.

Yeah but it handles well (my Sport does anyway) and the brakes are very good, so you can drive it quickly. Just don't race anyone away from the lights!

The manual six speed box is very low ratio (even top is a bit low for the motorway IMO), so you can keep the revs up and get it moving along. I find most of the slowness comes from not being able to rush it changing up to second or third because it's a bit notchy. I like to try and change gear smoothly, which again is not easy going up to second or third I find.

The notchy changes make me think the auto would be a better option, but it depends on personal preference.

Couldnt see the point in buying a manual, the IS200 is a slow car anyway so its all about the extra comfort of the automatic in my opinion.

The manual six speed box is very low ratio (even top is a bit low for the motorway IMO), so you can keep the revs up and get it moving along. I find most of the slowness comes from not being able to rush it changing up to second or third because it's a bit notchy.

Yeah noticed that with my old Lexus :) 130km/h = 3500 rpm in 6th gear.

Going down to Oslo(thats where the car is) on Sunday :) Ahh i Can't wait =D =D

When I'm done its 24 hours of happy driving back home =)

Ahhh! Some guy just bought the car. :( :( :(

The other cars for sale isn't that nice as this one :/

Think I'll have to wait a while and se if i find another nice looking IS 200

Seriously I'm drivig a Mazda 323 94 mod at the moment and i hate it.. AGGGH!

Couldnt see the point in buying a manual, the IS200 is a slow car anyway so its all about the extra comfort of the automatic in my opinion

Slow car compared to what? An M3? I have never ever been beaten at the lights, 150 brake is about 35 more than the average road car focus, astra etc. It weights 2 tons but once it gets going only a performance/high end car will beat it. The manual is a lot better than auto imo, but if your mainly cruising on motor way or your lazy the auto is your man :winky:

Couldnt see the point in buying a manual, the IS200 is a slow car anyway so its all about the extra comfort of the automatic in my opinion

Slow car compared to what? An M3? I have never ever been beaten at the lights, 150 brake is about 35 more than the average road car focus, astra etc. It weights 2 tons but once it gets going only a performance/high end car will beat it. The manual is a lot better than auto imo, but if your mainly cruising on motor way or your lazy the auto is your man :winky:

then the TDCI Ford Mondeo must have had a rocket up its rear, it beat me off the lights, mid range and all the way to 70.................................. It was a public road :whistling: . The IS200 is not a quick car unless it is supercharged or turboed and then by all accounts they are very rapid.

Even when I had the charger you'd still get grief from a lot of diesels on the motorway in the IS, maybe it's just your reaction time is very good as the IS is not a quick car from the mark by todays standards.

Remember driving them as loan cars until the 220 & 250 were introduced. Can't say that I thought they were that rapid, but surely they were built more as a "luxury" mid size saloon rather than a sports car? Auto or manual is really down to preference though as the majority of drivers would get nowhere near the published 0-60 times as they often appear not to know when to change gear, whilst an autobox does.

Is that your old Lex in your avatar pic ? Ouch ! :crybaby:

Yes. Hurt quite a bit when the roof hit me in the head (Car landed upsidedown) :duh:

Oh dear, have you recovered? I bet your next one's having a roll cage!

Mines a manual, like it a lot but would have liked an auto just as much as I don't race around, just cruise along everywhere.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links