Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check Your Timing Belt Early!

duttnut

Hello I am just new to this forum and have read your thread. I am wanting to change the timing belt and water pump myself and was wondering whether you could give me few pointers on how to do it. I've done a fair bit of the maintenance on my IS200 myself, things such as replacing discs, calipers and lower ball joints but have never done a timing belt before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello I am just new to this forum and have read your thread. I am wanting to change the timing belt and water pump myself and was wondering whether you could give me few pointers on how to do it. I've done a fair bit of the maintenance on my IS200 myself, things such as replacing discs, calipers and lower ball joints but have never done a timing belt before.

There's a very good guide on it in the Workshop forum, here :)

• 2 months later...
hi all ive had my 200 for about 2 weeks now was gona check my belt when i service it but i wasent that lucky and it dident make it :crybaby: i was just on my way home about half a mile doing 50mph and it snaped :crying: if there is any lotto winners out there and feel sorry for me please dont hesatate to call!!!!

That sucks, have you had the engine looked at? what's the damage? :o

• 4 months later...

This is exactly the same what happened to me when i checked on the IS ive just bought (in 2008, built in 2003) ... it was at 128 000 KM - so "someone" forgot to change it properly and the belt was in the same state as yours.. maybe even worse.

Few more kms to go and things would go ugly. We can call ourselves lucky. :)

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I am a new member waiting to get my first Lexus IS 200 Sport Saloon 2004 on Thursday. Regarding the cambelt issue, my car has 29,000 on a 04 plate, and presume the cambelt has not been replaced, as part of the service history. Not a great mechanic, so does anyone know how much this work would cost to have completed by a garage??

Thanks

at a lexus main dealer £850 inc waterpump and full (60k)service - approx £580 without 60k service or less depending on your haggling ability - or cheaper by an independant garage

Hi,

I am a new member waiting to get my first Lexus IS 200 Sport Saloon 2004 on Thursday. Regarding the cambelt issue, my car has 29,000 on a 04 plate, and presume the cambelt has not been replaced, as part of the service history. Not a great mechanic, so does anyone know how much this work would cost to have completed by a garage??

Thanks

Costs around £300 if done by Lexus, bit cheaper at an indie garage.

Hi,

Thanks

Costs around £300 if done by Lexus, bit cheaper at an indie garage.

• 1 month later...

hi,what seems to baffle me is that quite a few people dont seem to take changing cambelts seriously when due seriously - manual says 6yrs or a 100000 which ever comes first, so if the car is 6yrs old and has done 20,000 or is 3yrs old and done 100,000 it needs changing either way.Please put thinking caps on it saves money and grief in the long run.

• 4 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

hi,what seems to baffle me is that quite a few people dont seem to take changing cambelts seriously when due seriously - manual says 6yrs or a 100000 which ever comes first, so if the car is 6yrs old and has done 20,000 or is 3yrs old and done 100,000 it needs changing either way.Please put thinking caps on it saves money and grief in the long run.

Ignore the manual, Lexus now recommend changing the cambelt at 60,000 miles or 6 yrs, whichever comes first.

I had exactly the same problem and realised that the metal plate that goes behind the auxillary pulley wheel was the wrong way round, its flat and sharp one side and curved the other to keep the belt from falling of the bottom crank, so it was a case of turning it round, sabotage i think mate, but yeah i put new belt on and instantly started to slice into it u can see very yhin slice marks, i checked it the other day after looking at this what you put on and found same problem mate!!!!!! thanks, done it 16/10/10 runs better aswell as the belt was so thin it was streching and putting timing slightly out on pull of!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm new to the forum because I'm thinking of getting a Lexus and I reckon it's wise to do some homework and get info from people who know: the owners who have been there, done that. So apologies if this is a basic or obvious question.

It looks as if most, if not all the stories and warnings on this thread are about the IS 200. Is there a similar issue with IS 300 engines? Do they have a similar cambelt/tensioner set-up and similar service-instructions?

i've been assured from my local dealer that altho the 200 had revised service schedule to change belt at 60k instead of 100k, the belt on the 300 still only needs changing at 100k

altho i've always thought it witchcraft that a belt can go round pulleys so many times over 10 years and 100k miles before changing, so I may have mine done at 60

• 2 months later...

Read this topic closely last night and as today was the day my new is200 was to hit the roads I had a peak at the belt just incase......... Thank Fu@k I did!!!! Belt had about 5mm of width left. New blue print tensioner and belt kit ordered and the three six belts from gates I started stripping and also found the belt was out a tooth from a previous change. If anyone has still to do theirs I def recommend doing the full kit, it looks like my tensioner was reused at 80k belt and has failed in the last 20k. I have all the part numbers for the timing kit and six belts if anyone needs them :)

Read this topic closely last night and as today was the day my new is200 was to hit the roads I had a peak at the belt just incase......... Thank Fu@k I did!!!! Belt had about 5mm of width left. New blue print tensioner and belt kit ordered and the three six belts from gates I started stripping and also found the belt was out a tooth from a previous change. If anyone has still to do theirs I def recommend doing the full kit, it looks like my tensioner was reused at 80k belt and has failed in the last 20k. I have all the part numbers for the timing kit and six belts if anyone needs them :)

Hi lucky you,thanks your stars you did,its still surprising that even after reading this piece some are still contemplating taking the risk.Remember its 60,000mls or 6 years whichever comes 1st,you will save yourself alot of money by having it done if you are not sure if its been.I had mine done at 55,000 with car just under 6yrs old along with the water pump,tensioners etc.Dont leave it to chance.

I just had my car checked out by an independant garage because my timing belt rattles like mad at 1500 rpm. The mechanic suspects it could just be hitting the cover but after I read this post I highly doubt its just that. Im hoping he dusnt find anything else wrong with the engine and he also said it could cost up to £200 to have the whole thing replaced - definatley worth going to an independant garage.

• 1 month later...

well i was right to check mine. the picture at start mirror images my belt. i am now sitting at work knowing i have to drive it home and now i need for the new kit to arrive and when it does will prob have to fit it myself :crybaby: so i dont miss anytime off work.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...