Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I took a demo in a GS300 (55 plate) and while the sales person was slowly reversing the car on lock and demonstrating the reversing camera there was lurching and a noise coming from the front, if it was FWD I would have said worn out CV joint. Anyway, I agreed to buy the car providing that the problem was fixed. During the next week I made enquiries about what the problem was and was told that it was normal on the GS, it was the front tyres scrubbing or hopping on the tarmac. As this is a main dealer and I was getting a years Lexus warranty I decided to take delivery (last Tuesday evening). I took it back Thursday after E-mailing them and telling them that I didn’t believe them that this is typical and that Lexus wouldn’t sell a defective car. I invited them to demonstrate another car with the same fault. I thought that I was onto a winner here until they demonstrated a customer’s car (just within their car park) with the same fault but worse than mine. Have any others experienced the same problem? The car has only done 26k miles so I wouldn’t expect anything to have worn out. Frankly if I had thought that this was not repairable I wouldn’t have bought the car. I am tempted to go back and try and unravel the deal but I don’t think that my Px (2002 Camry) is still available. Thanks for any advice that comes my way.

I have driven a GS 300 56 plate and a GS 450h without encountering this. I have the previous model GS 430 and again it is something I have not encountered. The only thing I can think of is if the tyres are very cold in this weather which is making them hard and so causing the "skipping" of the tyres.

I have driven a GS 300 56 plate and a GS 450h without encountering this. I have the previous model GS 430 and again it is something I have not encountered. The only thing I can think of is if the tyres are very cold in this weather which is making them hard and so causing the "skipping" of the tyres.

Thanks for your reply Dave, it seems that the main dealer is willing to unravel this deal, but it is a shame because it is otherwise a very nice car. As I regularly reverse off the road onto my drive I am constantly reminded that things are not as I would wish

Thanks for your reply Dave, it seems that the main dealer is willing to unravel this deal, but it is a shame because it is otherwise a very nice car. As I regularly reverse off the road onto my drive I am constantly reminded that things are not as I would wish

Hi, I have an 05 GS. I'll try this in the morning and report back. I must admit though I do reverse out of my drive daily and do not hear any noise, not that I've noticed anyway. I'll try a full lock reverse tomorrow.

It is always advisable to reverse into your driveway and then drive out of your driveway rather than reversing out. Might be worth trying it and see if the noise is there when you reverse into the driveway. Try full lock reverse over a speedhump on a quiet road if you can as well.

Hi,

I reversed the car, full lock, making note of any noises, the car was cold and so were the tyres. I could not hear any noise that you described. I can only assume it is not a normal characteristic of the GS, not on my car anyway! I'd seek a second opinion from another Lexus dealer.

Dave, why is it advisable to reverse into a drive rather than reverse out of a drive?

Hi,

I reversed the car, full lock, making note of any noises, the car was cold and so were the tyres. I could not hear any noise that you described. I can only assume it is not a normal characteristic of the GS, not on my car anyway! I'd seek a second opinion from another Lexus dealer.

Dave, why is it advisable to reverse into a drive rather than reverse out of a drive?

Second part of rule 201 below!!!

The Highway Code

dg_070523.jpg

200-203: Reversing

Choose an appropriate place to manoeuvre. If you need to turn your vehicle around, wait until you find a safe place. Try not to reverse or turn round in a busy road; find a quiet side road or drive round a block of side streets.

Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

Cheers Dave,

That should stop the strange noise :driving: :duh:

:eerrrmm: Possibly. If you're reversing into your drive the probability is that your tyres will be warm, so if the noise only happens when reversing cold, it shouldn't happen if you are reversing after driving home. :D

Cheers Dave,

That should stop the strange noise :driving: :duh:

:eerrrmm: Possibly. If you're reversing into your drive the probability is that your tyres will be warm, so if the noise only happens when reversing cold, it shouldn't happen if you are reversing after driving home. :D

Thank you all for your help. I am almost no longer a Lexus owner, soon to have my beloved Camry back. I must say that I'm very impressed with the way that my local dealer has handle this problem and would recommend them any time.

Hi,

Second part of rule 201 below!!!

The Highway Code

dg_070523.jpg

200-203: Reversing

Choose an appropriate place to manoeuvre. If you need to turn your vehicle around, wait until you find a safe place. Try not to reverse or turn round in a busy road; find a quiet side road or drive round a block of side streets.

Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

Oh ok, I thought you suggested reversing into a drive because of engine/gearbox preservation or some other idea. I live at the end of a road with no through traffic so I suppose 201 doesn't really apply to me.

My brand new GS does make some noises on lock when in reverse. I agree that this is normal, most probably due to the design of the suspension bushing. I also noticed a similiar thing on my previous IS. I'm not worried!

My brand new GS does make some noises on lock when in reverse. I agree that this is normal, most probably due to the design of the suspension bushing. I also noticed a similiar thing on my previous IS. I'm not worried!

I have been caught off guard (and worried at first!) when I started to hear some strange knocking/rubbing noise (cant really tell fully when in the car with the stereo on).

I've had 3 current generation GS, and its only really happened maybe 5% of the time for me - reversing on full lock.

I'll have another play tonight and see if I can re-create it on demand...

D.

Mine does it too - though it's not a Mk III model. Seems to only happen when it's both cold and on full lock - I guess on full lock the tyre is effectively being dragged partially sideways, and the cold rubber protests audiobly because it's much harder and less flexible than when it's warmed up a bit!

I guess on full lock the tyre is effectively being dragged partially sideways, and the cold rubber protests audiobly because it's much harder and less flexible than when it's warmed up a bit!

Interesting theory. Need to get someone standing outside to verify/observe.

My is250 does this too - only when cold - sounds and feels lie the wheel is falling off. On mine it is left front and it may be a coincidence but i had to replace that tyre after a puncture. The tyre supplied by the aftermarket tyre place is same brand/make as oem but obviously a different compound. I do not think it is anything to worry about but i understand your concern. I posted a thread on the 250 section (saw this one becuase thinking of 450h and just seeing what the gossip is) and others have it too.

I had this problem. A Lexus dealer had checked my tyres when I visited them to have something small done to the car. They told me they check the whole car, even if I have windscreen wipers fitted. I was warned that my front tyres only had 2-3000 miles left, and I should consider having them replaced in the near future, although they told me they were OK for now.

My tyres started to judder as I reversed out of my drive (onto a very, very quiet road ;) ). This behaviour coincided with the onset of cold weather, so I guessed it might be that. It started less than 1000 miles after the Lexus check. But I took the car to a tyre dealer and they laughed because my front tyres were as smooth as a billiard ball, much to my embarrassment. Once I had new tyres fitted, the car behaved normally.

I'm now wondering if the tyres wear faster than on other cars.

I'm now wondering if the tyres wear faster than on other cars.

Mine's only done 800Miles! Thinking back I think the Impreza I had before the 2 Lexi did the same. Suspension is optimised for forward travel :D

the GS and the new IS are very similar in design in regards to the front suspension, the LS is partially similar though is a much bigger vehicle. this is why the fault is similar on all models. when the tyres wear to a certain limit (especially a hard compund like conti's) the tyre will skip and make a noise when parking. this can be simulated by driving forward and backward on full lock in an apporpriate space (carpark). you may notice that there is a rumbling noise, if there is check your tyres. if they are worn on the edges/ or feathering or just low on tread- below 2mm-1.6mm then this is the cause of the noise. recommend a change of tyres and possibly a full wheel alignment depending on how the tyres are worn.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links