Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hill Start In An Is250 Auto

Just wanted to know if this is a problem with the foot brake, or does the auto hold the car on a hill with no roll back?

Thanks

It's no problem, always assuming of course you have two working legs and feet. Just apply the brake with the left foot and when you need to start off again press and hold as you would pull up a handbrake and hold. On slight inclines the car will not roll back. Foot brake turns are initially challenging until you get used to double dabbing your left foot :lol:

I noticed (having read the car's manual properly for the first time at the weekend! Yes, ran out of things to do in the snow...) that the 250 autos have a Hill Hold Assist function; if the car rolls back, the car will hold itself automatically on the brakes, and release the brakes when you accelerate away.

Alternatively, just hold the brake with your left foot, accelerate gently, and release the brake when the drive takes up.

I've never used the handbrake in an auto, except for the occasional use to make sure it doesn't sieze up.

Just wanted to know if this is a problem with the foot brake, or does the auto hold the car on a hill with no roll back?

Thanks

It's no problem, always assuming of course you have two working legs and feet. Just apply the brake with the left foot and when you need to start off again press and hold as you would pull up a handbrake and hold. On slight inclines the car will not roll back. Foot brake turns are initially challenging until you get used to double dabbing your left foot :lol:

Ah, that's a good tip - I was wondering about this myself! Up to now I have held the foot brake with my right foot, disengaged the parking brake with my left, and then jumped my right foot from brake to accelerator - but your method is much better. Don't think I'll be trying the footbrake turns just yet though. ;)

Ah, that's a good tip - I was wondering about this myself! Up to now I have held the foot brake with my right foot, disengaged the parking brake with my left, and then jumped my right foot from brake to accelerator - but your method is much better. Don't think I'll be trying the footbrake turns just yet though. ;)

I find hill starts a lot easier with the footbrake. Just need to apply it, take your foot off and press again and hold to replicate holding on a handbrake with the rachet disengaged.

I read the Operating Manual too, guess my anti-rollback function doesn't work as it definitely rolls back on steeper inclines. Can anyone vouch for effeciveness of the anti-rollback function?

From my experience in courtesy cars, the system appears the same as in my IS200. Essentially a system engages when you bring the car to a halt and you actually feel a gentle click as the car rocks into this "hold" position.......

Only thing to bear in mind is that you must bring the car to a complete halt before releasing the brake or it will tend to roll back as it doesn't engage......

It's a pretty good system when you figure out exactly how to use it, but why they don't have a system like the SBC brake hold on Mercs I have no idea as I think that's brilliant :)

I read the Operating Manual too, guess my anti-rollback function doesn't work as it definitely rolls back on steeper inclines. Can anyone vouch for effeciveness of the anti-rollback function?

Have nt figured out mine yet. Sometimes works better than others. Sometimes it starts to hold it then gives up. At night Ican see the centre brake light come on when its trying to hold it.

In all stops I have never experienced roll-back when I transfer my right foot from resting on the brake pedal to stroking the throttle to move-off so the Auto-Lock does work fine & I only use the hand-brake when I park-up transferring back to a one-foot operation the moment I need to move forward even in the Alps & Dolomites.

When in France though I parked facing down a steep slope & needed to reverse & this was the only time I have ever used the foot-brake to assist moving -off.

Tel