Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noise From Steering Column When Ignition Turned On/off

Hi,

When I get into my IS250SE Auto and press the start button, there is a noise for about half-a-second from the steering column. The steering wheel also vibrates very slightly.

When I switch the car off and open the door, I hear the same noise.

I think it is the steering lock engaging and disengaging - my question is, should it make a noise? It is reasonably loud and sounds unrefined.

The car was registered in Nov 2005.

Anyone else have a similar noise?

Thanks

Phil

Normal, although to be fair the one I had in a 57 loan car sounded like a bag of nails, the one in my Oct 05 car just whirrs gently.

thanks for the info - good to know I've not got a problem (although it is under warranty).

When you switch on, the steering wheel moves to the position set in the memory (i.e. the memory for the seats). When you switch off, the steering wheel retracts to make getting out easier. It could be that the steering wheel's saved position is very close to the position it's moved to when you switch off ... if that makes sense?! That would account for the noise and the slight vibration. Try moving the steering wheel, saving it in memory, and then switching on/off to see if you get the same thing.

When you switch on, the steering wheel moves to the position set in the memory (i.e. the memory for the seats). When you switch off, the steering wheel retracts to make getting out easier. It could be that the steering wheel's saved position is very close to the position it's moved to when you switch off ... if that makes sense?! That would account for the noise and the slight vibration. Try moving the steering wheel, saving it in memory, and then switching on/off to see if you get the same thing.

It's a good thought, but doesn't apply on the SE - only the SE-L has the electrically adjustable steering column.

Hi,

When I get into my IS250SE Auto and press the start button, there is a noise for about half-a-second from the steering column. The steering wheel also vibrates very slightly.

When I switch the car off and open the door, I hear the same noise.

I think it is the steering lock engaging and disengaging - my question is, should it make a noise? It is reasonably loud and sounds unrefined.

The car was registered in Nov 2005.

Anyone else have a similar noise?

Thanks

Phil

Its the solenoid for the steering lock.

Mine was noisy, got it replaced under warranty.

• 6 years later...

I have a se-l that does the same, turn everything off wait for the steering wheel to retract and everything else to stop then when I open the door there is a noise like a motor that runs for about one second.

Anyone with an idea ???

• 4 months later...

Just picked up my Lexus from Woodford after a 60k mile service , did ask them to look at this and was told they couldn't hear anything.

took him out when I collect the car and showed( heard ) the noise said he will check with the service department then get back to me.

Can just hope I hear back

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links