Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brought A Polisher!

aztecbandit1

Not 100% on the clear coat mate but it is a a pearl mica so thinking about it, it probably is clear coated? the colour is aztec fire red :) what would you reccomend for this type of colour matey? :unsure:
yes it's a clearcoat from what you have said.carlack as said is my choice,with it being a sealant it brings out the best in your pearl finish and will also give you superior protection against bird droppings.with you polishing back the paint you could leave aside the nsc and just use multi coats of lls.after polishing,wipe down with meths&water 50/50 solution.then apply lls on a damp micro fibre very thin coat then buff off with m/f one panel at a time.you won't beleive the gloss.

Thats great mate, thankyou for your advice :D

just want the polisher to arrive now so i can give it a go, and just been on cyc so will order some gear ready :)

Not 100% on the clear coat mate but it is a a pearl mica so thinking about it, it probably is clear coated? the colour is aztec fire red :) what would you reccomend for this type of colour matey? :unsure:
yes it's a clearcoat from what you have said.carlack as said is my choice,with it being a sealant it brings out the best in your pearl finish and will also give you superior protection against bird droppings.with you polishing back the paint you could leave aside the nsc and just use multi coats of lls.after polishing,wipe down with meths&water 50/50 solution.then apply lls on a damp micro fibre very thin coat then buff off with m/f one panel at a time.you won't beleive the gloss.

just want the polisher to arrive now so i can give it a go, and just been on cyc so will order some gear ready :)

don't forget,full report with sun close up's and also before and after's.

don't forget,full report with sun close up's and also before and after's.

Yes i will do mate :D just hope we get some sun :lol:

thanks again :D

nearly forgot,clay bar before polishing-very important.

yep allready got the clay ready to go :D

Have you ever used the AG ultra deep shine?

i 've not used it ,looking at the description it appears to be a cleaner polish with some swirl masking ability which is fine if your are applying by hand.you now have a machine and therefore can get the best results with a dedicated medium and fine cut polish like the menzerna sample range,that's the way to go.

nearly forgot,clay bar before polishing-very important.

yep allready got the clay ready to go :D

Have you ever used the AG ultra deep shine?

i 've not used it ,looking at the description it appears to be a cleaner polish with some swirl masking ability which is fine if your are applying by hand.you now have a machine and therefore can get the best results with a dedicated medium and fine cut polish like the menzerna sample range,that's the way to go.

Thats sound mate, my other half brought me a 1ltr bottle earlier for £5, so no loss there and i could always use it on hers :lol:

Will go with what you suggest :)

• 2 weeks later...

the polisher is the same as a biltima polisher, i bought 1 for about £20 but its in sweden so not really available in the UK - search for biltema on detailing world.

Some suggestions:

1.when you recieve the polisher open it up and apply a heavy duty grease to the plastic cogs inside as the grease during production is minimal.

2. Grease is advised to act as a damper because the noise levels from the polisher are very high due to backlash in the plastic gears, infact on high speeds (4 and 5) the noise levels are so high as to cause hearing damage during prolonged use, i measured the polisher at 98db!! - try using it for a bit and your ears will be ringing!

3. Finding the correct sized pads of decent quality is impossible, the polisher requires a 3.75" pad, but the only pads available with different cuts are 4", this means the pads bump together by upto 1/2" during the rotation and wear each other away causing the pads to take on an "hour glass" shape.

4. the standard supplied pads with the polisher are of a cheap basic foam with nearly no cutting action, 1 option is to cut 4" pads down to 3.75" using a hole cutter, obviosly not the idea solution!

5. having 2 heads works quite well however due to the 2 heads it is awkward to use on the body especially around the bumper and wing/arch areas.

i would be very interested if u can find pads that fit properly because it looks like im going for a kestrel or g220 sometime in the very near future.

the polisher is the same as a biltima polisher, i bought 1 for about £20 but its in sweden so not really available in the UK - search for biltema on detailing world.

Some suggestions:

1.when you recieve the polisher open it up and apply a heavy duty grease to the plastic cogs inside as the grease during production is minimal.

2. Grease is advised to act as a damper because the noise levels from the polisher are very high due to backlash in the plastic gears, infact on high speeds (4 and 5) the noise levels are so high as to cause hearing damage during prolonged use, i measured the polisher at 98db!! - try using it for a bit and your ears will be ringing!

3. Finding the correct sized pads of decent quality is impossible, the polisher requires a 3.75" pad, but the only pads available with different cuts are 4", this means the pads bump together by upto 1/2" during the rotation and wear each other away causing the pads to take on an "hour glass" shape.

4. the standard supplied pads with the polisher are of a cheap basic foam with nearly no cutting action, 1 option is to cut 4" pads down to 3.75" using a hole cutter, obviosly not the idea solution!

5. having 2 heads works quite well however due to the 2 heads it is awkward to use on the body especially around the bumper and wing/arch areas.

i would be very interested if u can find pads that fit properly because it looks like im going for a kestrel or g220 sometime in the very near future.

Thanks for the info Rob :D

This one is only a single speed and quite quiet, but will give it a good greasing up as it'll help in the long run :)

I'd read on detailing world that the Biltima was an awkward pad size so brought this one as i knew i could get the pads, and because i couldnt get hold of the Biltima version, so brought some pads for it from the smartool office up the road from me which is quite handy :)

Just got to give it a go on my car now, i had a little practice with it the other day on an old panel and seems to work very well :)

If i get on ok with this one i might go for the G220 in the future.

ah right so whats the pad size then, surprising the make them with 2 different sized heads, it looks just the same machine as the biltema, and as u have correctly stated there are 2 models with and without speed control.

Just measured them mate and the heads are 95mm the same as the Biltema version? and the pads from smartool are the same at 95mm so it is the same as the one you have, Apart from the different speed settings?

Its a shame they dont post the Biltema version? as i bet its a better tool with it having different speeds :)

Been looking at giving my car a good clean for a while now, so been looking at different polishers on and off the past few months and was going to go for the G220 but then came across this?

The Smartool orbital polisher,

smartool.jpg

smartool1.jpg

smartool2.jpg

So thought i'd get one after reading quite a few good reviews on it and seemed a good buy for thr money, So did my usual bargain hunt and got one in the end for £37, then i needed to get hold of some pads for it so brought 14 pads in the end again bargain hunting for £21 so £58 in total so far :D

Next on my list is a range of cleaning/polishing products to go with it, Been a member on detailing world for a while now but very rarely go on there and just had to re-register ;) So will be having a good search over the next few days to see the best way to use my new toy :D

But any suggestions are very welcome, cant wait to try it out now :D

Anybody on here use the Smartool??

WELL NOT A SMARTOOL NEVER HEARD OF IT BUT LOOK'S JUST LIKE MY CYCLO MODEL 5 ONLY MINES NOY PLASTIC IT'S HARD AIR CRAFT METAL. I'VE HAD MINE 25 YEAR'S AND JUST BOUGHT ANOTHER FOR WORK.

I just brough exactly the same polisher and now I am after some pads.

Can I please have the website where you found 14 pads for £21 as the cheapest pads I have found are like £4.95 each.

Hello matey i originally brought them from THIS eBay seller but looks like he's only got the 80mm pads on sale at the moment? the ones i got were 100mm pads, I had a pack of 10 polishing and 4 compound pads for £21 but won them in one of his auctions :)

am i correct in assuming that you hav'nt done any polishing yet?

:lol: :lol: Yes you are mate, not had the time as yet, but cant wait to have a good session with it :D

Went out to give my Lex a good cleaning session this morning and as soon as i'd filled the buckets it started to rain :crybaby: Told my other half that i'm going to sell the house and just buy a two storey garage, so i have some where to live and some where to work :whistling:

It didnt go down very well though :blink::lol:

• 3 months later...

i have one that has the speed control and find it far too big and bulky for proper use - also need to use special sized pads not norm available from regular car detail places.

ill be selling mine soon i think as i have ordered a proper polisher

i have one that has the speed control and find it far too big and bulky for proper use - also need to use special sized pads not norm available from regular car detail places.

ill be selling mine soon i think as i have ordered a proper polisher

What you going to get then Rob ?

i have ordered a kestrel machine - its just the same as a G220 or a PC but its far cheaper.. shinearama are the cheapest..... £75 and very cheap post... i got a 12kg packet sent to germany for £8... yes £8!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links