Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Peeps :D

Hope someone can help, or at least has some ideas as to what is happening here. I split the post into two shorter explanations

Tail Happy: A few weeks after i got the car the back stepped out at a round-about. Nothing too bad, just a big twitch which at the time I put down to slippery surface and me being too enthusiastic on the right pedal. A few weeks later with me being careful on roundabouts, it happens on two round-abouts in succession. Both of which i was driving like Miss Daisy on Valium due to traffic anyway. The first really caught me off guard and the tail nearly connected with a car on the outside! Not fun! The surface as far as i can see was not too bad, but wet. Difficult to gauge but no one else seemed to be having a problem. The second roundabout while I was ready for it this time was slower than the first. There have been other smaller "incidents" during all this time.

This second problem might be connected, but not too sure how. I was coming off a round-about when one of the moments, as described above, happened. The slide ended and I straightened it out for the connection to the dual carriageway. Then started what i can only describe as the back end moving around. Like having two flat tyres, back end on ice........it was so bad the first time i thought a tyre had burst and I pulled over! Really strange! This has happened twice the second without the roundabout fun first as i accelerated. Kicked in around 60. A real brown moment! When I stopped checked around got in, it was all ok again.

I called the Lexus dealer and they said this is new to them and I should check the tyres. All fine! Tyre pressures fine! It's ruining the car for me now. I am worried that IF there is something wrong that it will happen at speed and really cause some damage to cars and/or worse, people. The other half will not drive it which is no use.

Before I change tyres, pay for the alignment to be checked etc (which because of my location to the dealer ) means a day off work. I would appreciate any thoughts or indeed a solution to this.

Sorry for the length of this post but I wanted to make it as complete as possible.

Thanks

Greig :D

I would take the car back to the dealer for them to investigate possible cause, assuming of course that your tyres have tread left. How long have you had the car?

I would take the car back to the dealer for them to investigate possible cause, assuming of course that your tyres have tread left. How long have you had the car?

Hi

I bought the car in Dec and its just about a year old. The tyres have plenty of tread on them no issues there.

Thanks

Greig

You say the tyre pressues are fine, but what are they actually set to? If they're too high the handling will be skittish. Check the front pressures too.

Morning!

I will reset them to the standard this am, but they are there or there abouts. I will check and reset again.

Thanks

That does sound unusual (and scary!), especially that it's having trouble driving in a straight line - I had a problem a few years ago where it was quite easy to get the back end out and this was cured by having the geometry checked so that's a possibility......

Either way as the car's under warranty I'd take it to the dealer and let them have a good check over it before spending any of your own money :)

Hi

I bought the car in Dec and its just about a year old. The tyres have plenty of tread on them no issues there.

Thanks

Greig

I would get it booked into the dealer for a full check since it is only 1 yr old. There could realistically be any number of reasons for this happening. It might be a good idea to try for a loan car or extended demo with a similar car to see if the things you are encountering replicate themselves on another similar age/model IS250.

That does sound unusual (and scary!), especially that it's having trouble driving in a straight line - I had a problem a few years ago where it was quite easy to get the back end out and this was cured by having the geometry checked so that's a possibility......

Either way as the car's under warranty I'd take it to the dealer and let them have a good check over it before spending any of your own money :)

I think this may have to be my next port of call. I reset the tyre pressures and managed to get it all over the place at a round about. Also noticed that the steering can go very light at certain points and the car appears to understeer at low speeds. Not sure if this related, but i saw a thread on here about a faulty rack. :crybaby:

I fear the dealer visit cause i know the answer they will give after looking at the car on the ramp and a 5 minute drive in city traffic. "Nothnig wrong mate"

Cheers

Greig

Hi

Thanks

Greig

I would get it booked into the dealer for a full check since it is only 1 yr old. There could realistically be any number of reasons for this happening. It might be a good idea to try for a loan car or extended demo with a similar car to see if the things you are encountering replicate themselves on another similar age/model IS250.

Hi

Good idea. I'll have to speak to them first thing on Monday. Hope this can happen without too much hassle, i fear not though.

Greig

Which is your local dealer?

Hello

Lexus Glasgow, which unfortunately is owned by the Arnold Clark Group. They have been good so far, so i hope they do not live up to the reputation of the rest of the group, which frankly, aint too good.

Cheers :D

Isn't there a steering rack recall for the IS250? Doesn't affect all vehicles, but would be worth getting that checked out as well while it's at the dealers.

I keep seeing this but the recall doesn't seem to exist on the VOSA database so maybe it's a TSIB.

Definatly sounds like Geometry or Alignment issue if all tyres and pressures have been checked it cant be a lot else........Have you possbly klipped a kirb at some stage? because if its only happening on roundabouts then its possibly a traction problem on the leftside?

I would suggest you head down to Tony @ WIM (chesham) let him put it on the ramps and work his magic

Hi Peeps :D

Hope someone can help, or at least has some ideas as to what is happening here. I split the post into two shorter explanations

Tail Happy: A few weeks after i got the car the back stepped out at a round-about. Nothing too bad, just a big twitch which at the time I put down to slippery surface and me being too enthusiastic on the right pedal. A few weeks later with me being careful on roundabouts, it happens on two round-abouts in succession. Both of which i was driving like Miss Daisy on Valium due to traffic anyway. The first really caught me off guard and the tail nearly connected with a car on the outside! Not fun! The surface as far as i can see was not too bad, but wet. Difficult to gauge but no one else seemed to be having a problem. The second roundabout while I was ready for it this time was slower than the first. There have been other smaller "incidents" during all this time.

This second problem might be connected, but not too sure how. I was coming off a round-about when one of the moments, as described above, happened. The slide ended and I straightened it out for the connection to the dual carriageway. Then started what i can only describe as the back end moving around. Like having two flat tyres, back end on ice........it was so bad the first time i thought a tyre had burst and I pulled over! Really strange! This has happened twice the second without the roundabout fun first as i accelerated. Kicked in around 60. A real brown moment! When I stopped checked around got in, it was all ok again.

I called the Lexus dealer and they said this is new to them and I should check the tyres. All fine! Tyre pressures fine! It's ruining the car for me now. I am worried that IF there is something wrong that it will happen at speed and really cause some damage to cars and/or worse, people. The other half will not drive it which is no use.

Before I change tyres, pay for the alignment to be checked etc (which because of my location to the dealer ) means a day off work. I would appreciate any thoughts or indeed a solution to this.

Sorry for the length of this post but I wanted to make it as complete as possible.

Thanks

Greig :D

Evening All! :D

The steering "recall" interests me in case its all related. The steering seems to go very light at times with no feed back then .........

Im not sure. Im going to get it to the dealer as soon as I can, this week if I can swing it as i hate it the way it is. I will then get teh AA to have a look at it if i am not happy.

@GWilso: I wish i could, but the drive is a bit much no matter how good the man seems to be :D :D

Greig