Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is300 60k/6 Year Service

eddiea1

well it was bound to come, the dreaded 60k/ 6 year service for the IS300. I have been quoted over £800 by LExus in Hatfield. What I wanted to know is: does it need a new timing belt as well?

Im sure the IS200 has a new one on this service but wasnt sure about the 300.

also is it worth continuing to dealer service the IS300? after all its not worth that much any more, ive been told a 2003 IS300 sports kit is only worth 7k odd.

so is it worth spending a small fortune to get the dealer stamp in the service book??

Lexus now say the timing belt on the IS200 should be changed at 60k/6 years, so I guess that applies to the IS300 aswell?

With regards to Lexus servicing- personally, I'd find a good local garage to do the necessary work. Buy the parts you need from Lexus and get the local garage to fit them, this way you will save money in labour costs.

All depends how important the Lexus main dealer stamp is to you. My car has Lexus service history up to 90k (my car has now done 117k) , now I do most of the work myself (oil/filter changes etc). I just keep the reciepts for parts in my service book. For more complex work (timing belt changes etc), I get my uncle to do this kind of work who is a mechanic by trade.

If you are keeping the car, I would get that belt/tensioner/pully changed ASAP. Otherwise the consequences could be enormous. As I understand it, it's not a difficult job for a half decent mechanic. Probably a good idea to find someone who has done it before. Think about the water pump as well.

well it was bound to come, the dreaded 60k/ 6 year service for the IS300. I have been quoted over £800 by LExus in Hatfield. What I wanted to know is: does it need a new timing belt as well?

also is it worth continuing to dealer service the IS300? after all its not worth that much any more, ive been told a 2003 IS300 sports kit is only worth 7k odd.

so is it worth spending a small fortune to get the dealer stamp in the service book??

Might be worth trying here, they are quoting £468 for a 60k service and timing belt change on an IS300 and are not too far away from you.

I just had my 60k service done at a Lexus dealer for my 300.

IS200 timing belt is now recommended to be changed at 60k miles however IS300 is still 100k.

And Lexus Hatfield must be having a laugh - my service was done at a full Lexus dealer and cost £480.

If you are keeping the car, I would get that belt/tensioner/pully changed ASAP. Otherwise the consequences could be enormous. As I understand it, it's not a difficult job for a half decent mechanic. Probably a good idea to find someone who has done it before. Think about the water pump as well.

no point gettin the water pump done, they dont leak like the 200's, an the tensioners are usually alrite aswell

I asked the same question for my 02 300XCross, she's on 60000 too ! Lexus Derby didn't bother answering my e-mail, I too am well aware of the 2L engine needing a belt at 60, but thats not the same engine is it ??!!. I am going to hold off until I am sure, rather than slightly confused.

I just had her interim serviced (70K one in the book ) and for the first time not at a dealer (should have answered my e-mail should'nt they!) so a non dealer stamp.....the work was simple (I paid extra for Magnatec oil) the garage well established, capable, and they have free loan cars. Values have dropped for all used cars, including seven year old 300's and thats a factor...I'm happy as long as the book is properly stamped and I am not mistreating my girl !!

As I understand it the belt parts set comes to about £100 to buy, and so I would expect to pay about £300 if/when I ask them to do it...slightly more pressing are new tyres....now Falkens or Nexen.....oh yes and a grom adaptor...hmmmm.

I also have the IS300 which needs the 60k major service> My local Lexus dealer (Woodford) inform me that the timing belt also needs to be changed as the car is now 6 years old. Their quote for Major service, including plugs and timing belt was £650.00 and I get a coutesy car thrown in. I did have to haggle with them to get that price but I think its pretty good considering they are a main dealer plus other members from LOC rate them very highly which is a bit of a comfort factor when you are spending that kind of money.

I also got a quote from Albin B Motors in Croydon for the same work and they came in at £500 but no cortesy car. They are also highly recommended by other LOC members. As you can see there is a big difference in prices quoted but I will probably go for Lexus Woodford as they are local, and I want to maintain the main dealer stamp in my service book.

Hope this helps

Colin is correct: is300 belt change == 100k/10yrs.

It can't be 10yrs as the IS300 has the same service schedule as the IS200 - and the sheet says 100K or 6 years (whichever comes first). This has been revised for the IS200 down to 60K, but I assume the time of 6yrs still applies to both

I had mine done at Lexus Woodford for £695 a few months ago, nice that the price is now lower at £650 - shows how the times have changed :)

Colin is correct: is300 belt change == 100k/10yrs.

It can't be 10yrs as the IS300 has the same service schedule as the IS200 - and the sheet says 100K or 6 years (whichever comes first). This has been revised for the IS200 down to 60K, but I assume the time of 6yrs still applies to both

The service schedule below shows 100K/10 years for both.

IS200IS300MaintSched.jpg

I know that the IS200 was revised down to 60K/6 years, but I have no idea about the IS300.

Seeing as that's in km, is it the UK schedule? Also looks a little dated.........

This is mine from when I had it done a few months ago (not the bottom right corner where it says revised March 2007)

329776068.jpg

• 1 month later...
Is the IS300 engine the same as the GS300 engine?

2JZ-GE, same for IS300 and Mk I/II GS300, yes.

In this case, you can get the cambelt changed at Lexus Hanley (If you prefer Lexus dealers) for about £220.00 all in.

Phil

in the end i decided to get the service done up the road from me, less than £300

Did you have your timing belt changed? Was there anything else which required any attention?

My IS300 is due for its 70k service and I am opting for local garage and would like to know anything that needs to be looked at this service.

Lexus will do a timing belt for an IS200 all the way to LS400 for £299 I think. Certainly no more than £320 for LS anyway, remember got a leaflet with fixed price servicing on it a few weeks ago - and free oil/filter change!! :-)

in the end i decided to get the service done up the road from me, less than £300

Did you have your timing belt changed? Was there anything else which required any attention?

My IS300 is due for its 70k service and I am opting for local garage and would like to know anything that needs to be looked at this service.

Yep, I got my timing belt changed on my mk1 GS300. Also had new plugs, B service and other stuff. The guy's there are very good on prices, have a chat on the phone to them. You'll also get 15% discount for your Gold Membership.

LEXUS HANLEY

Leek Road

Hanley

Staffordshire

ST1 6AT

TEL: 01782 269000

I will return to using these guy's. An hour up the road from me.

Back to what else needs doing for the 70K service. This should be quite a simple 'A' service. Oil, filter, air filter, and a general check up I believe. So long as you have kept the car serviced on schedule!!!

Phil

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links