Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gains From A Decat Exhaust Manifold?

Martin_80

I'm thinking of removing the precat on the exhaust manifold. I have found a used one for £140, I think it will be possible to get it for ~£80. I quess that you need to change some gaskets and perhaps some other small stuff but still a pretty cheap mod I think. What I would like to know is:

What gains would this give me (I don't expect much if any....)

Could I even loose power?

Does it effect noise level? I would like more engine note at full throttle but I still enjoy a quiet ride.

Is it a hard swap considering rust...

Is it worth it? Hell yeah or hell no :D

Thanks!

Alrite mate,

dont really see huge gains, or even any in it to be honest.

its done on a SC car cause theres been times they're melt or dislodged and blocked the exhaust.

would make it more throaty though i reckon.

Stav

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thinking of removing the precat on the exhaust manifold. I have found a used one for £140, I think it will be possible to get it for ~£80. I quess that you need to change some gaskets and perhaps some other small stuff but still a pretty cheap mod I think. What I would like to know is:

Does it effect noise level? I would like more engine note at full throttle but I still enjoy a quiet ride.

Thanks!

Hi. i decat the system on my is200.

i never looked back.

did it at a exhaust fitment centre.(yanked the manifold and mid pipe and removed cats)

the diffrnce is notable and no change in tone. however i fitted a back box with multiple chambers (sum bs about the back pressure)

i`d say a increase of 20 horses

just mind the sensors(heated oxygen) fron one is easy by removing the plug and unscrewing it. the manifold (headers) are tricky to get out as the steing unit is a bit in the way. remove 2 12 cm bolts. pull out and refit after wards . but the rear(under) is fixed. just remove the mid pipe. two bolts front and back. these have special heads. so grind and fit new. repack the gaskets after wards

3 hour job but lifetime of joy

Thanks!

i never looked back.

did it at a exhaust fitment centre.(yanked the manifold and mid pipe and removed cats)

the diffrnce is notable and no change in tone. however i fitted a back box with multiple chambers (sum bs about the back pressure)

just mind the sensors(heated oxygen) fron one is easy by removing the plug and unscrewing it. the manifold (headers) are tricky to get out as the steing unit is a bit in the way. remove 2 12 cm bolts. pull out and refit after wards . but the rear(under) is fixed. just remove the mid pipe. two bolts front and back. these have special heads. so grind and fit new. repack the gaskets after wards

3 hour job but lifetime of joy

20 bhp extra from decat the system, are you real :D

• Like 1

i never looked back.

also; Are you serious?

Mine got so much louder when i took mine out,

20BHP sound great. I will also add this to give it atleast 30BHP moore :P

I don't want it to be that much louder, is it such a big differens even on a standard exhaust? I like it quiet as it is standard but I would like a big roar when flooring it :D. That is perhaps hard to achieve?

What should I do, forget about decatting and look for a aftermarket cat back system?

You won't get huge gains from the standard engine unless you plough lots of £'s into it. Get a cat back system and you will get slightly better throttle response and a little more power up in the rev range, add an induction kit or a panel filter also, just don't expect huge gains as this engine is the "economy" tuned version of the 1G series.

I know and I don't expect any power gains. I like the car quiet the way it is but it does sound rather nice towards the redline doesn't it :)

What I am trying to find out is if the engine will sound even nicer without the pre cats or if it will get to loud for my liking.

I know and I don't expect any power gains. I like the car quiet the way it is but it does sound rather nice towards the redline doesn't it :)

What I am trying to find out is if the engine will sound even nicer without the pre cats or if it will get to loud for my liking.

The exhaust will sound louder, but I wouldn't think it will be that loud really, unless you have a sport exhaust also.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links