Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nokia N95 - Any Good?

Rob

hi all,

my old sony 810 has died , randomly wont send sms! so looking for another phone, hated the sony sms t9 format for spelling so looking as going back to nokia if possible and saw the n95, any feedback from people that have one??? or suggest another. We get shafted on contracts here so the n95 is going to cost me between £150 and £180 on a contract

also maybe looking at a samsung omnia but can only get it in german which isnt good for me - is easy to change it to english or do you have to reload all the software etc? same goes for htc touch :angry:

hi all,

my old sony 810 has died , randomly wont send sms! so looking for another phone, hated the sony sms t9 format for spelling so looking as going back to nokia if possible and saw the n95, any feedback from people that have one??? or suggest another. We get shafted on contracts here so the n95 is going to cost me between £150 and £180 on a contract

also maybe looking at a samsung omnia but can only get it in german which isnt good for me - is easy to change it to english or do you have to reload all the software etc? same goes for htc touch :angry:

n95 is a great phone.. have used one for nearly two years and didnt bother upgrading!!

i might have one for you if your interested?

Been using it for the last 6 months. Unbranded it, and updated to the latest updates. Installed all sorts so i can install programs without any signed certificates. Depending if you like to customise ur phone, im using a 8gig memory card almost completely filled with youtube videos and divX videos, mp3s and 100s of lexus images lol. I had a Sony Erricson w810 i think it was and only reason why i changed is cos i needed a better camera phone and the n95 at the time had a very good 5 meg pixel phone. I was very suprised how good the camera and video recorder is for a phone. Very good phone, a tad slow, but i don't have an issue with that. think i got mine for £110 on eBay. There are infinate programs and themes you can install on it once you have hacked it, my fav is the stepmonitor...tells you how many steps i've done, keeps a record for everyday on a graph and how much calories i have burnt LOL. Im just waiting for someone to bring out a OBDII reader software for it, so i can chuck away my asus eeepc which has lower memory space than my N95 lol

It's definitely a good phone in terms of being a tool, sometimes implementation could be better, but it does a lot of stuff and does them all pretty well.

However, the HTC Touch is also a very good phone, depends whether windows mobile is useful to you, and same goes for the touch screen.

Any other N95 users have problems with the Battery? I find it fine with normal use, but recently as soon as I use data, I can run it from 6 bars down to completely dead in a few hours..........

That's not continuous use, just a little on and off - is that normal? Still not had it 12 months, not sure whether to send it off for a new Battery or something?

i too have had n95's for a couple of years, changing for an omnia but then going back to it, I find the buttons a little small for texting but not a major issue, my Battery runs down quicker if I use net or sat nav so I bought a second genuine Battery

thanks for all the replies guys, i had an offer of a repair for my old sony 810 and so far the phone is behaving itself - so before i get bent over the table to get a new phone via a contract ill stick with this one for a while and see what happens.

Parthiban, i think thats normal. The N95 is pretty power hungry, won't last more than a few days without charge. Once the power bar drops down a few bars (depending on the theme you are using, my has a total of 7 bars to represent power) you will find it can drop 5 bars within an hr in use.

Parthiban, i think thats normal. The N95 is pretty power hungry, won't last more than a few days without charge. Once the power bar drops down a few bars (depending on the theme you are using, my has a total of 7 bars to represent power) you will find it can drop 5 bars within an hr in use.

Ahh right, cheers, won't bother then - it's fine normally, but seems as soon as you start using data it really chews up the Battery.........

I'm not 100% sure if this still applies but it used to be that you shouldn't re-charge your Battery too often, ie. pluggin it in every other night when its only half dead, always best to leave it to die and then charge fully over night, the downside being that sods law dictates that when its ready to die you will need to use the phone and it'll die as soon as you dial or connect lol so I carry a second Battery for convenience and treat batteries as I was previously recommended, full charge only when its dead

I'm not 100% sure if this still applies but it used to be that you shouldn't re-charge your battery too often, ie. pluggin it in every other night when its only half dead, always best to leave it to die and then charge fully over night, the downside being that sods law dictates that when its ready to die you will need to use the phone and it'll die as soon as you dial or connect lol so I carry a second battery for convenience and treat batteries as I was previously recommended, full charge only when its dead

I don't think that's true these days with lithium ion batteries. Batteries do have a set number of full charge/discharge cycles that they can go through, but these are from fully discharged to fully charged. If you're only partly discharging it and then charging again, it can handle more repetitions of that.

will have to get confirmation on that then, cos I may be doin my Battery more harm than good, I know the missus had a samsung u600 and then e250 and the Battery just got worse cos she was charging frequently...

EDIT : Incidentally, you do not need to empty the Battery before charging. Modern lithium phone batteries can be recharged however full they are. (taken from a phone website)

Cheers Stevie

Ahh right, cheers, won't bother then - it's fine normally, but seems as soon as you start using data it really chews up the Battery.........

Thing you need to do is make sure that you exit applications and not just shut them down, if you got loads of apps running in the background it just kills the Battery.

EDIT : Incidentally, you do not need to empty the battery before charging. Modern lithium phone batteries can be recharged however full they are. (taken from a phone website)

That's correct, no need to run flat before charging, but it is recommended every so often to run the Battery completely flat and charge as this reconditions the Battery and keeps it at optimum operation.

Mind you I never do that with phones, as I rarely keep one longer than 12 months, but do it with other things like camera, etc.

Thing you need to do is make sure that you exit applications and not just shut them down, if you got loads of apps running in the background it just kills the battery.

Yep I usually do shut them down, but it's just from use that the Battery runs down quite quick.