Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I Want Wim'd

Deeg

as the title says I've been reading alot of post regarding the great work evryone has had done at WIM but unfortuneately Im up in Aberdeen, i dont think the wife would be too happy if I drove the length of the country to have the car "tweeked"!

So I have 3 questions.....

1. Would WIM be willing to pass on the correct settings to another garage up in Scotland or if another garage in scotland already has the correct settings?

2. Can anyone in or around the Aberdeen area reccommend somewhere good enough to carry out the work? Prefferably Aberdeen area but atleast in Scotland would be nice!

3. Roughly speaking how much is it to be WIM'd?

Cheers

Deeg

Tony from WIM will pass on the settings, yes, but you need to find someone competent enough to do the work (and with the right equipment). One of the items that needs adjusting (castor, I think) is not directly adjustable on the IS200, so some garages might say it's impossible, but Tony found a way to indirectly adjust it.

One member from Scotland did drive all the way down to WIM just to get his geo done ! :winky:

Hopefully someone will be able to recommend a decent place that is a bit nearer for you.

WIM charge very roughly £100 for the geo setup, you'll have to check what price other places will charge you.

as the title says I've been reading alot of post regarding the great work evryone has had done at WIM but unfortuneately Im up in Aberdeen, i dont think the wife would be too happy if I drove the length of the country to have the car "tweeked"!

So I have 3 questions.....

1. Would WIM be willing to pass on the correct settings to another garage up in Scotland or if another garage in scotland already has the correct settings?

2. Can anyone in or around the Aberdeen area reccommend somewhere good enough to carry out the work? Prefferably Aberdeen area but atleast in Scotland would be nice!

3. Roughly speaking how much is it to be WIM'd?

Cheers

Deeg

dude if you manage to get someone up here to do such a thing give me a shout ill come with you , im in Inverness and so want this done also .

Just go down and see Tony, you wont regret it :winky:

And you will have a nice drive home

I just drove my car home from Newbury to Inverness yesterday , im not planning leaving the country again for at least a couple of months .

I think GT tyres in Forres do a descent laser alignment service (is this the same thing) so i was told earlier today so im going to give them a buzz tommorow and see what they are saying.

Just go down and see Tony, you wont regret it :winky:

And you will have a nice drive home

I just drove my car home from Newbury to Inverness yesterday , im not planning leaving the country again for at least a couple of months .

I think GT tyres in Forres do a descent laser alignment service (is this the same thing) so i was told earlier today so im going to give them a buzz tommorow and see what they are saying.

Well as you can see from the post I just started my lex had abit of a argument with a Skoda at the weekend, Im currently waiting to get it picked up to go to the body shop. they said they will do a full allignment check I might try and get them to do it to WIM's spec.

Otherwise let me know about the place in forres Im well up for a wee road trip up there mate.

hijacking thread a little, how often does one need to WIM their IS? is it a one off thing or does it need regular geometry alignment? I suppose to refine that is to ask, does the geometry misalign fairly easily if say you dont overly push the car into big fat potholes?

I'm booked in for 2pm on march 16th :) Will be in the area anyway as heading down to london for my birthday on the 17th so thought that as I'm passing I may as well get my car WIM'd instead of having the geometry set by someone who doesnt know his stuff up in manchester

hijacking thread a little, how often does one need to WIM their IS? is it a one off thing or does it need regular geometry alignment? I suppose to refine that is to ask, does the geometry misalign fairly easily if say you dont overly push the car into big fat potholes?

It shouldn't need doing again unless you knock it out yourself via potholes etc. When WIM first started doing the service for the IS200, I think they had a check-up they booked you in for after a while. When I had my car WIM'd I asked about this, and as I recall Tony said they found there was no point in the check-up so they stopped doing it.

I took mine back to WIM to check after I thought I'd knocked the alignment out, and sure enough it was a bit out (and also slightly out from having uprated ARBs fitted).

I'm considering taking mine to Xtreme in Lye, W.Mids to get the Geo done (just fitted HKS springs).

They normally do Evo's so I'm sure they should be able to do a Lexi.

Would WIM supply me the data to pass onto them?

I'm considering taking mine to Xtreme in Lye, W.Mids to get the Geo done (just fitted HKS springs).

They normally do Evo's so I'm sure they should be able to do a Lexi.

Would WIM supply me the data to pass onto them?

Yes, they would. But beware, one of the things that needs adjusting is the caster, and the caster isn't directly adjustable on the IS200. However, there is something else you can adjust (can't remember what) which will *indirectly* adjust the caster though. So it's non-trivial.

• 4 weeks later...

At WIM they check and set all aspects of the geometry, e.g. camber, caster, toe, etc. It's not just alignment. You can read a bit more about it via their website. Bear in mind that a lot of IS200 owners have suffered premature tyre wear and handling issues with using the OEM geometry settings, and Lexus have not to this day (so I believe) admitted that it's a problem, and it took WIM to work out a set of parameters that would vastly improve the situation - i.e. WIM know what they're doing ! :winky: