Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

you won't need this if you already have xenons mate.....

if your car does have xenons fitted - which is what u implied in ur 1st post, then they will probably be 4300K colour temp (the best for light output), so any other colour temp will be for looks only as 4300K throws the most light onto the road.

I can back up Rob's comments. My previous two cars had zenons, and my current car has HIDs. I can't really say there is much difference, certainly not in terms of light levels. Maybe the HIDs are a little more white, but it's borderline. Save your money for some stylish leopardskin seat covers. ;)

Huddy. Xenon's and HID's are the same thing mate! High Intensity Discharge headlights use Xenon gas to provide the light, but if your car already has the factory set up then no aftermarket kit will compare. Everything else is as Rob says.

Above posters are correct ! I do have Xenons, which I was getting confused with Halogens.

I was confused by the lack of projector like the later HID lights, but after some web searching realised Xenons do also come in a reflector style, and since they do "flash" on ignition and auto self level they are the Xenons.

So the kit won't be as good as the factory setup, fair enough, thanks for putting me straight.

Huddy. Xenon's and HID's are the same thing mate! High Intensity Discharge headlights use Xenon gas to provide the light, but if your car already has the factory set up then no aftermarket kit will compare. Everything else is as Rob says.

No, they're not the same thing at all. HID bulbs produce their light in a completely different way - they may well both have Xenon gas inside the glass enclosure, but a standard Xenon bulb still uses a filament which is heated white-hot to produce the light. A HID bulb uses very high voltage electricity to excite the electrons on the gas atoms, which then produce light directly from the gas - no filament involved here.

In the standard Xenon bulb type, the Xenon is used to stabilise the metal atoms in the filament to prevent them boiling off, Xenon being both very heavy and almost completely inert.

Are you talking about Xenon bulbs (as in normal bulbs with Xenon in them) or Xenon headlamps like fitted to BMWs and Mercs?

There seems to be some confusion but I think the OP is talking about factory xenons and replacing them with an HID kit - which is replacing like with like.......

That's a good point, Parthiban. The OP has a GS430 - which have HID lighting as standard, as far as I know. So yes, would be a like-for-like swap, not much point!! The ad is wrong too - it suggests that 6000k is the recommended road lighting colour, this should be 4300k.

Mike B, i wasn't talking about the bulbs, i was talking about Huddy being confused when he said his last car had Xenons and his current car has HIDs, he didn't mention bulbs. I understand you can put Xenon 'type' bulbs in a hologen reflector but when you say you have Xenons and want to replace them with HID's these are the same thing! Which is what is initially said!!

Don't be silly no need to apologise! Sometimes you think just because you know something about a certain thing you can assume everyone else is on the same level!