Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help From You Sky+ Owners Please

GWilso

I've heard a lot of stories regarding the sky + box failing, and having to be replaced

But i'm not sure why this happens or what the problems are?

I've had problems with the Box swithching itself to standby and freezing and not responding to commands from the remote,

Recording programs just seem to stop recording half way through, and the prgrams that have been recorded, when played back keep jumping and freezing,

Is this the same faults as the known faults? or have I sligtly different problem?

Typical when I called them they would not give me a real explanation as my warranty expired 15th of this month.......................and and wanted to charge me for a new box :tsktsk:

1 phone call to the "I'm leaving you dept" and they are sending an engineer to me soon :winky: :winky: :P

I was just wondering if my fault was the well known fault?

Thanks

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

After having at least 3 replacement boxes I did a little digging around and the main problem (particularly with the original Sky+ boxes) is the hard drive overheats and over time it destroys it. Which isnt surprising as there is no fan (like you get in PC's) and the hard disk is working pretty much 24 hrs a day (as its always recording to allow you to rewind tv at any time)

Opened mine up after it failed again, bought a new hard drive (double the capacity) and kept the cover off.

Since then (touch wood) not a single problem and that was about 3 years ago.

Hi Gordon,

After having at least 3 replacement boxes I did a little digging around and the main problem (particularly with the original Sky+ boxes) is the hard drive overheats and over time it destroys it. Which isnt surprising as there is no fan (like you get in PC's) and the hard disk is working pretty much 24 hrs a day (as its always recording to allow you to rewind tv at any time)

Opened mine up after it failed again, bought a new hard drive (double the capacity) and kept the cover off.

Since then (touch wood) not a single problem and that was about 3 years ago.

There is a fan in the Pace V2 boxes. I upgraded the HDD on my one and connected the 12v fan to a permanent 5v to make it run silently. 3 year+ and never had an issue with it.

The hard drives also spin down a few minutes after it is put into standby and Sky introduced an auto standby feature in a recent software upgrade to reduce power consumption.

There is a recall on 90,000 Sky+ boxes at the moment, they say you can carry on using it. Won't admit to what the fault / symptons are.

I've had a few problems with my Sky HD box, they replaced the first one but this one sometimes locks up or goes into standby when it shouldn't and freezes plus recently the remote ( which is a new one ) has been playing up when sometimes you have to watch for the red light on the box to say it's detected the press of a buton ( i.e. hold it down for a second or two ), this is a fault on the box not the remote because I get the same using a new Harmony remote.

I'm sure they will just swap the box over so make sure you have nothing recorded that you want to watch.

Similar problems with mine....replaced once under warranty then popped again after a few years so said I was pi&&ed off after it was playing up for ages before the second one failed, told them I was leaving, they sent an engineer with a new box....then I cancelled my subs and now I have a brand new box for the FTA sky services and bought a Humax Freeview PVR, just like Sky+ only reliable :shutit: :winky:

There is a recall on 90,000 Sky+ boxes at the moment, they say you can carry on using it. Won't admit to what the fault / symptons are.

I've had a few problems with my Sky HD box, they replaced the first one but this one sometimes locks up or goes into standby when it shouldn't and freezes plus recently the remote ( which is a new one ) has been playing up when sometimes you have to watch for the red light on the box to say it's detected the press of a buton ( i.e. hold it down for a second or two ), this is a fault on the box not the remote because I get the same using a new Harmony remote.

I'm sure they will just swap the box over so make sure you have nothing recorded that you want to watch.

The recall is for Sky HD boxes, not the standard Sky+