Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sony Ps3

Rabster

I don't think you can mate, sorry.........don't really get why though, surely the keys on the keyboard will need to relate to the ones on the controller so there's no real difference is there? :unsure:

I don't think you can mate, sorry.........don't really get why though, surely the keys on the keyboard will need to relate to the ones on the controller so there's no real difference is there? :unsure:

thats what i was thinking. from looking on the net you can plug a keyboard in to use it but i cant find any reference to using it in the gaming enviroment

help lol

thats what i was thinking. from looking on the net you can plug a keyboard in to use it but i cant find any reference to using it in the gaming enviroment

help lol

Yep you can use a keyboard and mouse for other things, mainly browsing the web but as far as I know not to play games.

Just get one anyway, it does so much more as it's a bluray player, media server, PVR (with playtv), etc plus you can always learn how to use the controllers :P

Just been looking this up and it seems you're not the only one who wants to use a keyboard!

Apparently there's one game Unreal Tournament 3 that supports using a keyboard and mouse.....so there could be more on the way :)

thinking of getting one every one raves about them and ido have an empty shelf on my tv stand that is calling out for a PS3

BUT

Im a pc guy i can never get to grips with the hand controlls so can you play the games using a keyboard ??

cheers guys

Don't do it!

Xbox 360 is the only one for gaming. The PS tries to be too many things. Plus the online gaming is appalling compared to Microsoft.

IMO.

:withstupid:

the x360 is cheaper and technically far superior.

There are only three PS3 exclusive games worth anything

(metal gear solid 4 - yawn, little big planet - fun but not as amazing as everyone said, and Killzone 2 - technically cool, but just another FPS which frankly don't work on consoles because of the controls)

PS3 has bluray, x360 doesn't but that's a non issue for you.

go xbox.

I'm not a big gamer so I don't really care about the Xbox vs PS3 debate, the PS3 just suited me more - but isn't the PS3s hardware far superior to the Xbox? In that it hasn't been taken anywhere near what it's capable yet?

Have to say I wasn't expecting it but Little Big Planet is strangely good fun :)

i had an Xbox 360 back in 2006 and sorry but i hated it with a pasion lol it went wrong i had 3 consoles and then gave up and sold the last 1 on eBay at a loss admitidly i didnt play it that much but i kinda hoped it would last longer but oh well

im half way to buying 1 but just the keybaord option will push me over the edge lol

as far as i was aware the PS3 had better grapics etc than the Xbox

Rabs

I know that there is a converter for the xbox360 that will let you attach a keyboard and mouse to it and use it for gaming. however, it aint cheap. £70 is the asking price.

http://www.xcm.cc/XFPS_3.0_Sniper.htm

having had both systems, i'd say there's little in it. xbox is "cheaper" on the initial outlay, but things like wireless adapters arent cheap. if you dont care about blu-ray, xbox is the way to go, if you do want blu-ray then ps3. also as stated ps3 has free on-line play but the xbox on-line system is more polished (in my view).

xbox360 is old I'm sure when they bring out the next console they will be more popular until the ps4 comes out etc.. lol PS3 are the thing to have at the mo & I play COD 4&5 online all the time and pro evo :) I also have a Wii thats been collecting dust in the last year :(

it is a common misconception that PS3 is technically better than 360, and that 360 is "old" but it's just not true. CoD 4+5 and PES all play on 360 and not just that but at a higher resolution (most ps3 games aren't even running in real 720p - they are upscaled from a lower res), with better frame rates and with real anti-aliasing. Name me one game that runs better on PS than Xbox? There isn't one.

I'm not a fanboi and PS3 vs Xbox arguments are as boring as Mac vs PC - but the above is simple fact.

Rabster - maybe you're just not a console gamer? PC is still the best platform for shooters and rts by a huge margin. And a lot of the console games are better on PC (Fallout, Mirror's Edge, Far Cry 2, Burnout...) If 360 didn't float your boat then PS3 won't either.

If all your mates are playing console games online then get the same console they have.

it is a common misconception that PS3 is technically better than 360, and that 360 is "old" but it's just not true. CoD 4+5 and PES all play on 360 and not just that but at a higher resolution (most ps3 games aren't even running in real 720p - they are upscaled from a lower res), with better frame rates and with real anti-aliasing. Name me one game that runs better on PS than Xbox? There isn't one.

I'm not a fanboi and PS3 vs Xbox arguments are as boring as Mac vs PC - but the above is simple fact.

Is that because of technical superiority or because the way games are developed though ? I think your "simple fact" is about the way games run, not about what's possible from the hardware.

Is that because of technical superiority or because the way games are developed though ? I think your "simple fact" is about the way games run, not about what's possible from the hardware.

There is some truth in that yes - the difference is this: xbox has a more traditional hardware approach of a very mature dedicated gpu and a good cpu. So you can throw all your rendering stuff at the gpu (hence better out-of-the-box anti-aliasing and higher resolutions) and leave the processing stuff to the cpu (animations, physics, ai etc etc.)

The PS3 has a very quirky architecture with a more powerful cpu but a rubbish gpu. However the cpu is meant to take on some of the rendering work - so you have to be smarter about where you are going to spend your cpu time.

The "fact" above, you're right, is that right now all cross-platform games look/play better on x360 because devs are more comfortable with the traditional gpu/cpu approach. And most cross-platform games are developed on PC platforms (same architecture as xbox) then ported to PS3. This will change as PS3 coding matures and people learn "tricks" to get the best out of it but even with that it is unlikely that PS3 will ever be able wipe the floor with 360.

There is no clear "better" console and I'm not suggesting that there is. Ultimately when you factor in all the pros and cons of each they are very very similar.

But the idea that alot of people have that PS3 is some kind of super-computer and x360 is out of date is just wrong.

There are only three PS3 exclusive games worth anything

(metal gear solid 4 - yawn, little big planet - fun but not as amazing as everyone said, and Killzone 2 - technically cool, but just another FPS which frankly don't work on consoles because of the controls)

How dare you leave out Gran Turismo lol, pretty much the best playing console driving game available (PC has some better options). Yes i know its still not fully been released but when it does, it will be amazing probably why they've been putting it back and back and back, fingers crossed it should be xmas this year.

Im not sure which I prefer, if it was my money i would get the PS3 due to blueray player and the fact it has GT5, but most of my mates have xbox but only ever play it when we're all over at 1 house not online, so doesnt make much difference. Also I've played the new COD on xbox and PS3 and thought the graphics were much better on the PS3 TV's were pretty similar as well.

the xbox does have a big reliability issue though all of my mates have had 2 or 3 now and there getting pretty pee'd off with it .

How dare you leave out Gran Turismo lol, pretty much the best playing console driving game available (PC has some better options). Yes i know its still not fully been released but when it does, it will be amazing probably why they've been putting it back and back and back, fingers crossed it should be xmas this year.

Im not sure which I prefer, if it was my money i would get the PS3 due to blueray player and the fact it has GT5, but most of my mates have xbox but only ever play it when we're all over at 1 house not online, so doesnt make much difference. Also I've played the new COD on xbox and PS3 and thought the graphics were much better on the PS3 TV's were pretty similar as well.

the xbox does have a big reliability issue though all of my mates have had 2 or 3 now and there getting pretty pee'd off with it .

Lol - yep forgot GT - however for every GT fan there's an equally loyal Forza fan :) horses for courses...

CoD is one of the better cross-platform games around: anti-aliasing and framerate and overall texture detail is slightly better on 360, but shadows and shaders are slightly better on PS3.

But really they're pretty much identical

have a look here for a slowed down hi-def side by side comparison vid

Nothing in it really - like I said I'm not saying "xbox is king!" or "ps3 rules!" - I'm just saying that anyone who does say that is wrong (on both counts)

No doubt though - the reliability thing on xbox was a massive ***** up on M$'s part. I'm lucky - mine has been fine since launch.

Now we better shut up or Fargo will be along with a "nerd alert" ;)

Interesting stuff there Hando, had always been under the impression (wrongly!) that the PS3 has far superior hardware to the Xbox..........

If it isn't that superior, then Sony sure took way too long bringing it to market.......

ok seems like its gone a bit of subject

so any way for those of you with a PS3 any chance you could plug a usb keyboard/ usb wireless keyboard and see if you can program the controlls up etc and play the games that way

Cheers

To put this back on topic - you can only do that if the game supports it and currently the only game that supports it is Unreal Tournament 3 (which you'd be better off playing on PC)

hope that helps.

(also if you still must have a PS3 - little birdies tell me that a price drop is imminent so might be worth waiting for that.)

There is some truth in that yes - the difference is this: xbox has a more traditional hardware approach of a very mature dedicated gpu and a good cpu. So you can throw all your rendering stuff at the gpu (hence better out-of-the-box anti-aliasing and higher resolutions) and leave the processing stuff to the cpu (animations, physics, ai etc etc.)

The PS3 has a very quirky architecture with a more powerful cpu but a rubbish gpu. However the cpu is meant to take on some of the rendering work - so you have to be smarter about where you are going to spend your cpu time.

The "fact" above, you're right, is that right now all cross-platform games look/play better on x360 because devs are more comfortable with the traditional gpu/cpu approach. And most cross-platform games are developed on PC platforms (same architecture as xbox) then ported to PS3. This will change as PS3 coding matures and people learn "tricks" to get the best out of it but even with that it is unlikely that PS3 will ever be able wipe the floor with 360.

There is no clear "better" console and I'm not suggesting that there is. Ultimately when you factor in all the pros and cons of each they are very very similar.

But the idea that alot of people have that PS3 is some kind of super-computer and x360 is out of date is just wrong.

Hando,

I take it you are a computer guru to trade ? Loving the indepth knowledge.

Hando,

I take it you are a computer guru to trade ? Loving the indepth knowledge.

Guru - no way ;)

I'm a videogame designer by trade and have been working in the industry for quite a long time (close to 20 years)

I'm not a coder though but obviously I work closely with some very talented programmers - and some stuff has rubbed off on me - although what they do is still magic to me.

I've worked on games from pre-windows PC's to current generation consoles (and pretty much every platform in between) and am now design director at a major publisher.

I think there are a few games industry people on loc? certainly there was someone a while ago who was involved with championship manager.....