Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Gearbox / Transmission

:crybaby: i've had a burning smell coming in the cab from what i thought was the exhaust (had it changed),

then relised it was the gearbox, booked in to have the tranny oil changed along with the cambelt.......... then low and behold it wont engage in gear (slipped a bit just before)

any suggestions on how to check the tranny oil ?

whats happened?

where to start to getting it fixed /cost?

all help very appreciated

thanks

pete

:crybaby: i've had a burning smell coming in the cab from what i thought was the exhaust (had it changed),

then relised it was the gearbox, booked in to have the tranny oil changed along with the cambelt.......... then low and behold it wont engage in gear (slipped a bit just before)

whats happened?

thanks

pete

I can't believe it is broke, don't think there has ever been a Lexus gearbox that has failed, I could be wrong...........Take it to a garage and change the gearbox oil. What's the mileage, has it been changed before?

If your gearbox has packed up you have been very unlucky as knitware says they are the most reliable box ever made so take heart just do as suggested and get a good oil flush and complete change first before you start worrying about a broken gearbox.

The only worrying thing is the burning smell you had.

Hope that is all it needs

whats happened?

thanks

pete

I can't believe it is broke, don't think there has ever been a Lexus gearbox that has failed, I could be wrong...........Take it to a garage and change the gearbox oil. What's the mileage, has it been changed before?

its a 96 plate with 146k on the clock i don't know whether its been changed before but i shall give your suggestion of changing the oil a try i have just checked the dipper and it doesn't appear to have any oil left in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where did it all go??/??

whats happened?

thanks

pete

its a 96 plate with 146k on the clock i don't know whether its been changed before but i shall give your suggestion of changing the oil a try i have just checked the dipper and it doesn't appear to have any oil left in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where did it all go??/??

Hi,

I'm guessing you haven't owned it from new so it's hard to tell where it went! I would take it to any reputable garage, buy the proper gearbox oil for them to fill it. It should be pretty cheap to do, i'm sure that this will cure your problem.

thanks for your replies i've checked the dipstick (i never noticed it before)

it looked pretty dry and very low

how / where can you fill it up ?

thanks pete

How did you check it? Normally it has to be a operating temperature and you check it with the engine running after slowly going through all the gears and back to P.

You fill it up through the dipstick tube.