Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Recalls, Warranty Work, Mpg And Other Questions...

Hi all.

I've had my 220D SE-L MM (56 plate) for almost three months now, and, I have to say, it's perfect. It has not given me a single second of trouble, there is not a single squeak in the interior, every single thing in the c works perfectly and I've been over the moon with it - particularly as it only cost 12k with 30,000 miles.

So, my question is a strange one...

I'm aware there are many, many recalls for these cars - 5th injector, ECU remap, steering, brakes and so on.

I'm no mechanic, and not as expert as any of you, so I don't even properly know what's involved, what these recalls do and so on.

In fact, I'm not even fully sure what recalls are out there for 56 plate 220D's? I'm sure there are more I don't know about (are there any I SHOULD know about and are really necessary?)

So, should I chase these up and get them done now before the warranty runs out (and with time to get them re-fixed under warranty if something goes wrong) or should I just leave well alone when it appears to be one of the good ones?

Thing is - I would hate to NOT get a recall I was valid for done, and then have an item I could have had fixed for free break after the warranty expires.

Also, my MPG isn't great - it's not awful, but not great - about 30 on 90% stop start town driving, rising to 40 on a clear A road or motorway run in cruise.

I WOULD like this to be better, though...

So, theres my conundrum - how possible is it that they could make things worse if I bring it in? That economy would go down, that problems would start to happen, that squeaks would start...

Or can getting all the recall work done only make things better, and couldn't possibly be something I'd regret.?

What would you do?

Hi all.

I've had my 220D SE-L MM (56 plate) for almost three months now, and, I have to say, it's perfect. It has not given me a single second of trouble, there is not a single squeak in the interior, every single thing in the c works perfectly and I've been over the moon with it - particularly as it only cost 12k with 30,000 miles.

I'm aware there are many, many recalls for these cars - 5th injector, ECU remap, steering, brakes and so on.

I'm no mechanic, and not as expert as any of you, so I don't even properly know what's involved, what these recalls do and so on.

In fact, I'm not even fully sure what recalls are out there for 56 plate 220D's? I'm sure there are more I don't know about (are there any I SHOULD know about and are really necessary?)

So, should I chase these up and get them done now before the warranty runs out (and with time to get them re-fixed under warranty if something goes wrong) or should I just leave well alone when it appears to be one of the good ones?

Thing is - I would hate to NOT get a recall I was valid for done, and then have an item I could have had fixed for free break after the warranty expires.

Also, my MPG isn't great - it's not awful, but not great - about 30 on 90% stop start town driving, rising to 40 on a clear A road or motorway run in cruise.

So, theres my conundrum - how possible is it that they could make things worse if I bring it in? That economy would go down, that problems would start to happen, that squeaks would start...

Or can getting all the recall work done only make things better, and couldn't possibly be something I'd regret.?

What would you do?

just to clarify that there has only been one recall specific to the 220d,all others involve the 250 as well.there have been some postings that the 220 has been subject to many recalls but they are total fabrication.as regards ecu updates,it is normal for these to happen to all models and nothing to worry about.ask your dealer if you think that the car is missing some upgrade because they will be happy to do it.

Hello

I too dont have any Creaks n groans from the inside,

but i have had the fith injector done (Recall) which i think this is the only

recall the 220d has had on its own, again it never failed they just did it as the car was in there (garage)

As mentioned all the others are also related to the 250

I today had the steering rack replaced (warranty recall) & the Rear brake pads also 1 caliper was swapped (again Recall)

HOW MUCH HAS THAT COST THEM WOW :blink:

Tomorrow i will test the steering on a good run to see if i notice anything different, ( i bet i dont ) except i did notice my steering

wheel was perfect centered :winky: (just a pet hate of mine)

I do think at Times TOYOTA/LEXUS do replace things just as precaution, i bet the likes of some other Major manufacturers

dont do half what The T does.

I was told the other day of a guy that had a TOYOTA Land cruiser and it was 4 years old, and the cylinder head cracked

TOYOTA replaced it as they extended the warranty to 5 Years as they had found a fault with them in very Cold Condition countries.

So they Honour it all over the World

So i guess the Lexus Statement could be true They are aiming for the Persuit of Perfection. :hehe:

Regs

Matt

ps i will let you all know if steering any different

I don't think it is so hot.

The parts are very cheap (for lexus/toyota) and the work expense is carried by the dealerships.

The dealer will not do the work for nothing as they are just francise dealers in the UK

Birmingham is part of the Sytner group(BMW,TOYOTA,LEXUS ETC ETC)

so They will Charge Lexus GB for the Parts cost + small percentage & the Labour

not at maximum rate, but definatley not Free, as each department is accountable

Matt

Ps i have noticed the steering is nice and responsive now and feels just like the

58 plate they gave me for the day, Ref brakes i have noticed nothing.

But the Good thing is they noted my Straight steering wheel coment. :hehe:

As far as I know, a recall is not time limited. So you could be running a car way out of warranty and still be eligible. Cos if you think about it, it could be a safety issue.

:question:

"just to clarify that there has only been one recall specific to the 220d,all others involve the 250 as well.there have been some postings that the 220 has been subject to many recalls but they are total fabrication.as regards ecu updates,it is normal for these to happen to all models and nothing to worry about.ask your dealer if you think that the car is missing some upgrade because they will be happy to do it."

Not strictly correct 'dgman'!

True however ref upgrade to ECU...that's just somethin that would need doing like any software related item you own, dealers provide the updates for you and will happily do it.

4 SPECIFIC RECALLS FOR MY is220:

I have to say my is220 has had 4 specific recalls from Lexus... 5th injector, mats(slipping accross accelerator), Steering and rear caliper. All officially recalled via letter from Lexus.

Worst thing is...Lexus Oxford issued me a quote of £395 to rectify the rear caliper problem found whilst being serviced...Lexus Chester issued 'Recall' for same problem.

:tsktsk:

True however ref upgrade to ECU...that's just somethin that would need doing like any software related item you own, dealers provide the updates for you and will happily do it.

:)

One other issue that is under investigation and 3 independent reports indicate it's originated from Lexus and not 'other' however for obvious reasons can't be specific until final word from Lexus UK. All I will say is it is not a safety issue and to be fair give them the chance to have their say or to rectify.

Whilst I love the Lexus cars...I have recently lost faith in one or two of their dealerships. I will update on this as and when.

:question:

"just to clarify that there has only been one recall specific to the 220d,all others involve the 250 as well.there have been some postings that the 220 has been subject to many recalls but they are total fabrication.as regards ecu updates,it is normal for these to happen to all models and nothing to worry about.ask your dealer if you think that the car is missing some upgrade because they will be happy to do it."

Not strictly correct 'dgman'!

4 SPECIFIC RECALLS FOR MY is220:

I have to say my is220 has had 4 specific recalls from Lexus... 5th injector, mats(slipping accross accelerator), Steering and rear caliper. All officially recalled via letter from Lexus.

Worst thing is...Lexus Oxford issued me a quote of £395 to rectify the rear caliper problem found whilst being serviced...Lexus Chester issued 'Recall' for same problem.

:tsktsk:

:)

One other issue that is under investigation and 3 independent reports indicate it's originated from Lexus and not 'other' however for obvious reasons can't be specific until final word from Lexus UK. All I will say is it is not a safety issue and to be fair give them the chance to have their say or to rectify.

Whilst I love the Lexus cars...I have recently lost faith in one or two of their dealerships. I will update on this as and when.

Slightly off topic. I see you come from North Wales. How highly do you rate Lexus Chester?

• 1 month later...
Hi all.

What would you do?

IS 220d are ****....cant get into top gear untill your doing 90mph, they knew about this but done nothing, you have bought a lemon

Nidgemo

The poster above who reckons you've bought a lemon is best ignored. My only gripe is the increase in fuel consumption. That apart I've had no problems with the car, had it for 2.5 years, done almost 70k miles & had no hassles. Dealer I go to for servicing is good, again no hassle with them.

You will see elsewhere on this forum that some folk are getting perfectly good mpg, have had all the recalls done & continue to get good mpg.

I don't think the recalls relate to the warranty, a pal has a GS & he had a recall when it was a good couple of years out of warranty. The dealer picked up his car, dropped off a courtesy car & then returned the car once the work was done.

Enjoy your car.

• 3 months later...
Nidgemo

The poster above who reckons you've bought a lemon is best ignored. My only gripe is the increase in fuel consumption. That apart I've had no problems with the car, had it for 2.5 years, done almost 70k miles & had no hassles. Dealer I go to for servicing is good, again no hassle with them.

You will see elsewhere on this forum that some folk are getting perfectly good mpg, have had all the recalls done & continue to get good mpg.

I don't think the recalls relate to the warranty, a pal has a GS & he had a recall when it was a good couple of years out of warranty. The dealer picked up his car, dropped off a courtesy car & then returned the car once the work was done.

Enjoy your car.

Thanks all.

Indeed - that guy is, and will remain, best ignored.

I've had the car for 8 months now, and it's by far the best car I've ever owned (way better than the three series) and has not given me a second of problems - even on a 140 mile round trip today, half A roads, half Mway, it gave me 44mpg...

However, I have now booked it in for friday to get any recall issues / warranty problems sorted out.

So, could anyone let me know what issues there have been recalls / updates on that could affect my IS220D SEL MM?

I have some bubbling in the alloys - they should replace these?

ECU Remap

Rear brake caliper

Steering rack

Is that everything is is there anything else I should be asking about? And should all the above be completed for free?

Also, how much should a new nav disc cost? I may also get the updated one while there!

IS 220d are ****....cant get into top gear untill your doing 90mph, they knew about this but done nothing, you have bought a lemon

No doubt I'll get "flamed", but I lean towards agreeing with this. It's not a "true" lemon" but it's not what it could or should be, like the 250. Lexus rushed the 220d out with, by current standards, an indifferent engine and a sub-standard gearbox, purely because they had gone as far as they could in the American market and wanted to increase sales in Europe. This is because America still runs mainly on petrol and Europe has a strong bias towards diesel. This came from a source within the Lexus network.

I ditched my 220d partially because of the above, but in the end it was down to incompetence at dealerships. I hated driving it and was glad to swap it for a VW Jetta 2.0 TDI, which is a far better car to drive with consumption to match. I actually trust the VW to get me where I want to go, which wasn't true of the 220d.

There are, and always will be, because of personal experience, those who will not hear anything negative about Lexus cars and those who will never have a good word to say for them.

Nidgemo

Enjoy your car.

Thanks all.

Indeed - that guy is, and will remain, best ignored.

I've had the car for 8 months now, and it's by far the best car I've ever owned (way better than the three series) and has not given me a second of problems - even on a 140 mile round trip today, half A roads, half Mway, it gave me 44mpg...

However, I have now booked it in for friday to get any recall issues / warranty problems sorted out.

So, could anyone let me know what issues there have been recalls / updates on that could affect my IS220D SEL MM?

I have some bubbling in the alloys - they should replace these?

ECU Remap

Rear brake caliper

Steering rack

Is that everything is is there anything else I should be asking about? And should all the above be completed for free?

Also, how much should a new nav disc cost? I may also get the updated one while there!

Nige,

I had my car in with Lexus Belfast from June 1st this year ,they replaced rear calipers and pads,steering rack ,water pump,removed and reseated rear screen(for rattle)replaced all alloys and replaced vvti sprockets in engine(250 only)

I was very pleased.

ask William what is needed on yours and he will tell you

All was done under warrenty.

When I got car back the warrenty had expired and a front caliper was sticking and wheel getting very hot .I Asked them to look at it but they would not cover it under warrenty even though the fault was obviously there when I picked it up .So be sure you get ALL done before expiry date.

You get your new disc online 159€