Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anybody Got Any Thoughts On This?

Hey up guys,

Haven't driven the car all this week until today. I drove it in to work as normal, then straight off to the gym when i finished. On my way back home (engine warm even though its only a mile back home) i noticed that when i had my foot off the accelerator travelling say at 20-40 (i.e moving with momentum of the car) i could hear this really weird noise.

Its pretty hard to describe but almost sounds like the whine of the s/c, but magnified somewhat. or maybe like a hissing/whistling noise. The car doesn't feel like its lost any boost and a quick check of the hoses at the top of the engine bay showed they all looked secure and none had split.

When i had the car on the drive and got the missus to rev it for me with the bonnet up (only time she can sit in the drivers seat :whistling: ) it sounded bang on - no problems. so it seems that only when the cars in motion and only when cruising with no acceleration can it be heard. but it doesn't sound right to me.....

i quickly checked the mud flaps and wheel arch liners to see if they were ok and not rubbing, but all seemed fine.

any thoughts?? anything that it sounds plausible to being??

cheers

rob

they are worn a little but not enough to cause that sort of thing surely??

if it were engine/s/c related it would surely make the noise on standing and revving/easing off wouldn't it??

would any suspension component cause something like that?? creaky spring or similar? i dunno, just a proper weird one and it plays on ur mind.....

Your hearing aid batterys on the way out. :lol:

I would say go to some where really quiet and open the windows.

Sorry i got no idea at all.

haha!! my hearing's as sharp as a bat mate, lol!!

tried opening the windows and couldn't really pinpoint it, apart from the noise being more audible when the drivers side windows were open....

This is a pretty risky option so you need to be very very careful where and how you try it. But you could always try going along somewhere on the straight and then turning the engine off and hearing if there is any difference in sound (e.g. if it is the transmission/suspension then the sound will be there, if it's the engine then it won't be).

As I'm sure you know if you turn the engine off then this will drastically alter things like the steering and braking since you will lose power assistance, so it is not something to try when there are any sort of hazards (e.g. other traffic !) around.

This is a pretty risky option so you need to be very very careful where and how you try it. But you could always try going along somewhere on the straight and then turning the engine off and hearing if there is any difference in sound (e.g. if it is the transmission/suspension then the sound will be there, if it's the engine then it won't be).

As I'm sure you know if you turn the engine off then this will drastically alter things like the steering and braking since you will lose power assistance, so it is not something to try when there are any sort of hazards (e.g. other traffic !) around.

yea, tis an idea matey. not sure i'd risk it to be honest though.....

sure its probably nothing, but didn't sound right to me and is very perculiar. as stav said, sould just be tire noise or maybe wind rushing through the wing mirror, but don't see why i'd hear that now, but not any other time??

keep the ideas coming and thanks for the suggestions so far.

rob.

I Can't really see what you might find from switching off the engine while driving. If you have checked the car over properly while it was on your drive way, and if every thing like the Charger, air filter, exhaust, ect are ok, then it sounds like a part that works when it is in motion, that is the problem.

I doubt it would be a suspension, CV, or a wheel bearing problem, as they make knocking sounds when they fail and this usually happens when you are steering.

It could be the gear box ? Is your car manual or automatic ?

Try driving at your crusing speed again, but this time take it out of gear, or put it into neutral so you are coasting down the road. If the sound stops then it is your gear box, if it continues, then I'm guessing it's your diff.

haha!! dont take the key out either, like my mate did (steering lock.....)

also, just been thinking, the only thing i've added/changed on thecar recently is the radiator cooling panel. silly as this might sound but anyone think the noise could be related to air rushing over the rad panel (like you'd whistle over a beer bottle top for example)??

as for the air filter.... bit of a PITA to get to as its inside the TTE airbox, but its the one that came with the TTE kit and has been on the car for 2 years now - but i've only done about 8k miles max with the s/c, so doubt its would need replacing?!

so i took the rad panel off yesterday and took it for a run - seemed a bit better, but not perfect.

did notice that when i was going very slowly with windows open i could hear a rubbing type noise from the rear drivers side wheel. so i'm assuming that sort of noise is likely to be caused by a slightly warped disc?? if i'm correct, i'm not all that happy as i replaced the discs about a year ago with mintex discs and pads all round. they should have lasted me more than that!!!

any other things that could cause that rubbing type noise?? wheel being buckled slightly?? dust plate??

so my thinking is that this rubbing noise is just being amplified at higher speeds?? would make sense i guess and explain why it can't be heard when the car's stationary.....

Are there any marks on your wheel to suggest it's scraping on anything? Is the tyre liner loose anywhere? Could try jacking the car up and spinning the wheel to see if there's any resistance.

no marks matey and the wheel arch liners are all fine - checked them from the off as it happens. it does sound like maybe the disc is rubbing as the wheels in motion, so possibly slightly kinked?? although i haven't really noticed any vibration when braking, but if its only minor i guess i wouldn't anyhow...

I've noticed i'm getting a rubbing noise from one of the wheels - had the brakes changed before xmas but only just noticed it. Can the splash guard start rubbing after a while or would it have been straight away?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey up guys,

Haven't driven the car all this week until today. I drove it in to work as normal, then straight off to the gym when i finished. On my way back home (engine warm even though its only a mile back home) i noticed that when i had my foot off the accelerator travelling say at 20-40 (i.e moving with momentum of the car) i could hear this really weird noise.

Its pretty hard to describe but almost sounds like the whine of the s/c, but magnified somewhat. or maybe like a hissing/whistling noise. The car doesn't feel like its lost any boost and a quick check of the hoses at the top of the engine bay showed they all looked secure and none had split.

When i had the car on the drive and got the missus to rev it for me with the bonnet up (only time she can sit in the drivers seat :whistling: ) it sounded bang on - no problems. so it seems that only when the cars in motion and only when cruising with no acceleration can it be heard. but it doesn't sound right to me.....

i quickly checked the mud flaps and wheel arch liners to see if they were ok and not rubbing, but all seemed fine.

any thoughts?? anything that it sounds plausible to being??

cheers

rob

How are things going with the car ? Are you still hearing things ?

Did you find ever find out what the problem was ?

sort of.....

when i drive slowly down a quiet street it sounds as if the rear drivers side wheel is rubbin slightly - think its the disc?? So i think the sound i was hearing was from that, but being amplified slightly by the increased speed.

seems to be almost unoticeable now mate to be honest.

as for the car, yea, its spot on mate. took it for a good long drive on saturday and it drove superbly, really put that smile on my face, lol!!