Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Corrosion Warranty On Wheels

Chosen One

Please say yes;

As there is a 12 year corrosion warrenty on my Lexus as standard, does this warrenty include the wheels, or is it only during the first 3 years? The car is a (05) 2005 with 87,000 on the clock and has been regularly serviced, I am surprised that it hasn't been carried out by the previos owner.

Please say yes;

As there is a 12 year corrosion warrenty on my Lexus as standard, does this warrenty include the wheels, or is it only during the first 3 years? The car is a (05) 2005 with 87,000 on the clock and has been regularly serviced, I am surprised that it hasn't been carried out by the previos owner.

Wheels are not covered under the corrosion warranty. It would be a good idea to read your corrosion warranty T & C's very carefully to ensure that you fully comply with them.

I don't think the wheels are covered past 3 years unfortunately, you'll probably have to pay to get the refurbished yourself now.

I guesed that was the case, but I thought I would ask just incase I was wrong, thanks anyway.

Please say yes;

Wheels are not covered under the corrosion warranty. It would be a good idea to read your corrosion warranty T & C's very carefully to ensure that you fully comply with them.

Thank you for your comments. I have already read the T&Cs and it tells what is and what isn't covered, but niether section rules in norrules out the wheels, hence my asking the question. Corrosion is corrosion wherever it is, and if Lexus wheels are prone to it then maybe just maybe they will provide replacements. It is not a matter for me to comply with the T&Cs BUT the provider to do so.

[quote name='dave1' post='641747' date='Feb 28 2009, 03:10 PM'Wheels are not covered under the corrosion warranty. It would be a good idea to read your corrosion warranty T & C's very carefully to ensure that you fully comply with them.

Thank you for your comments. I have already read the T&Cs and it tells what is and what isn't covered, but niether section rules in norrules out the wheels, hence my asking the question. Corrosion is corrosion wherever it is, and if Lexus wheels are prone to it then maybe just maybe they will provide replacements. It is not a matter for me to comply with the T&Cs BUT the provider to do so.

My comments regarding the T&C's were meant to be helpful as so many people don't actually read all the "small print" regarding their obligations to keep it valid for the 12 years.

As far as the wheels are concerned I would think that the following would be enough to rule the wheels out as they are not part of the bodywork......... The warranty covers:; "Twelve years of coverage is provided against bodywork perforation (i.e. any holes through the bodywork from inside to outside) due to corrosion that is attributable to faults in material or workmanship. Bodywork includes bonnet, doors, boot lid and floor panel, but excludes parts attached to the body, such as mouldings, bumpers and hinges.;"

You say that corrosion is corrosion wherever it is and whilst that is true it is also true that it is only subject to warranty coverage if it falls within the conditions as defined in your warranty.

Dave

I was told by Lexus Sheffield that it was 3 years and only for the visible faces of wheels. They refused mine for corrosion on the inside edges and produced a document from Lexus HQ to confirm.

I was told by Lexus Sheffield that it was 3 years and only for the visible faces of wheels. They refused mine for corrosion on the inside edges and produced a document from Lexus HQ to confirm.

Mine too.......Lexus Oxford stated that the inner surface of the wheels were not coated at all and corrosion there was not covered.

Unfortunatly for me, it is on the face of the wheel (two of them), around the central core mainly, I did suspect that it would be only 3 years but one has to ask just incase of a glimmer. Never mind time to start saving the pennies. :crybaby:

Well if its any comfort, you would be in the same situation a few months down the road anyway, The original finish just does not last, much better off getting a good refurb company to do it.

If it's of any help, I have used the following company in Basingstoke, Hampshire, excellent work, very professional.

'My Alloys' Wheel Refurbishment Centre

Unit 13 Lion Court

Roentgen Road

Daneshill

Basingstoke

Hampshire

RG24 8QU

Ask for Ron or Alan, remember and tell them that Tom Graham recommended them.

Tel: 01256 329444

www.myalloys.co.uk

info@myalloys.co.uk

Well if its any comfort, you would be in the same situation a few months down the road anyway, The original finish just does not last, much better off getting a good refurb company to do it.

If it's of any help, I have used the following company in Basingstoke, Hampshire, excellent work, very professional.

'My Alloys' Wheel Refurbishment Centre

Unit 13 Lion Court

Roentgen Road

Daneshill

Basingstoke

Hampshire

RG24 8QU

Ask for Ron or Alan, remember and tell them that Tom Graham recommended them.

Tel: 01256 329444

www.myalloys.co.uk

info@myalloys.co.uk

Oddly enough I have just got back from speaking to a friend of mine who runs a Tyre/Exhaust business near me and asked about re-furb, unfortunatly he removes everything from the wheel and sends them away, taking about a week in all, which leave me without a car, so i can't use him. I live near Chester so I will be contacting compaies in that area, may even spread to the Wirral. Can't see me having much luck in Wales as sheep don't use wheels here :whistling:

Thanks for the details though Tom.

Regards

Tony

If thats a problem try pristine wheels, they do an exchange program, and have dealers nationwide, I used them, very good job and i'm fussy!!!

Thanks for that, I have contacted the company and asked for a local agent near to me, Chester.

:lookaround:

• 2 years later...

The discussion on wheel corrosion warranty seems to be missing an important point. Why do Lexus wheels corrode at about 3 years? Could the answer be that Lexus supply vehicles to the British market which are unsuitable for British road conditions ie road salt in the winter. If this were the case,vehicle owners should not be looking at warranty as a means of getting their wheels replaced but at a claim that the wheels are not of merchantable quality. A reasonable estimate would be that alloy wheels should last as long as the bodywork and therefore Lexus should recognise that this is not a salt issue but it is a quality issue.

The discussion on wheel corrosion warranty seems to be missing an important point. Why do Lexus wheels corrode at about 3 years? Could the answer be that Lexus supply vehicles to the British market which are unsuitable for British road conditions ie road salt in the winter. If this were the case,vehicle owners should not be looking at warranty as a means of getting their wheels replaced but at a claim that the wheels are not of merchantable quality. A reasonable estimate would be that alloy wheels should last as long as the bodywork and therefore Lexus should recognise that this is not a salt issue but it is a quality issue.

Best of luck with that one :whistling: It's been an issue for the first generation IS since its introduction and now the same with the second generation IS. Lexus have apparently said that it's only an issue in the UK which is why they've been happy to replace the wheels under warranty rather than fix the root cause.

My 2001 IS200 Sport has had several new sets under warranty plus one refurbed by an independent company (with no more occurences since then). My 2006 IS250 SE-L had corrosion on the rims after two years but I then changed for non-OEM rims. Although the IS-F has wheels manufactured by BBS which appear to be resilient to the salt corrosion, it's on its second set of brand new rims under warranty (£5000.00) because the hot ferrous content in the brake dust burns through the laquer and results in similar problems (I've now replaced the OEM pads with Hawk Performance Ceramics).

Merchantable quality??? :angry:

Our other car (Mazda) was just the same, poxy corroding wheels. Over 3 years old, no hope IMO. Every spring I clean and sand off the wheel faces, and repaint myself. Costs about a fiver a year....can't tell the difference unless you actually examine the wheel. Last quote I had for refurb was £80 a wheel ! I keep my car standard, and so no pimping pride to worry about, and spend the money on good maintainence instead.