Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just An Update ! Course Or Prosecution? That Is The Question

Saraj

Hi guys and girls,

Well the police have sent me a letter today stating there got a good case against me for prosecution, but instead there offering a drving course instead.

There stated there would prosecute under the Careless Driving Act

So got a choice now, if I accept the course which will cost me 180 and is 1.5 days long 60 miles away, I would in a sense accepting it was my fault, or if I decline it I would go to Court for prosectuion and have to fight my corner.

My head says go for the course avoid court and the fines and points, but then my heart says why accept full reponsibility???

I'm stuck, if I do the course, Direct Line will accept it as my fault and stop fighting my corner which there doing at the moment with the third party.

It makes me angry that the third party will get away scot free if I do the course, but then I got to think about myself and what affects going to court would be on me, license wise and financial wise.

I got till the 13th March to book the course and have to do it within 150 days of the accident which happened 19th December 08, which goes to May, so got enough time to do some more overtime to make up the money

Any advise or which way to go would be bought on board, whether positive or negative

Basically I was overtaking on a country road did not spot there was a junction, the other driver put her indicator on after I stated overtaking, and then turned in front of me without stopping or checking.

Yh thanks for that, its certainly been a life experiance

Yeah take the course mate, you'd be in the wrong for not noticing the line markers changing as I think I remember they'd changed from a previous post you'd made?

Not good but take the course and at least then it's done with, you don't want to be in a situation where they can make an example of you as that could get expensive and much worse, a mate of mine was in a similar situation and got given a two year ban for something trivial but the judge decided to make an example!

very true yeah the lines changed to cautious junctions possible, something like that,

oh well i've taken it all on the chin, and will take this on hte chin, the last thing i need is a ban or something, i earn money by being able to drive and anything which threatens it i would be in trouble

thanks again Aido

Yeah my mate lost his job due to his ban, saying that it kind of worked out well for him as he started his own company and nowadays he's driving again, employs a few people and all is going really well - it makes a change to get something out of a bad situation!

Echo everything Aido said, by taking the course, all you get is a fault claim, perhaps lose some NCD and pay higher insurance premiums. If you take the course, they could fine you (heavily) or even ban you from driving (all depends on the judge).........

Definitely recommend just taking the course :)

I do understand where you're coming from though, as everyone was partly to blame, but given the way the accident happened, I think a judge may look at throwing the book at you............if it was me, under those circumstances I'd want to avoid court at all costs!