Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 V Rx400h V Rx450h ?

Hi y'all.....

I've finally come back to the Lexus fold (well sort of ... as now representing my wife :whistling: ) after just buying an RX300 Mark ii. But just wondered if we've made the right decision and should have gone for the RX400h instead based on fuel economy. As there's only minor differences between the RX300 and RX400h is there that much difference in the MPG figures in the real world? Also how much better will the RX450h likely to be? I'm not travelling that many miles per year (about 8-10K) and it's an even mixture of small roads and motorways.

Anyone give their opinion on any of these excellent SUV's? :D

Ta, Miles

Welcome back :)

If you drive a lot around town, think the RX400h will give you a lot of gains as the electric motors will help you out. On the motorway, ones running a 3ltr V6, the others running a 3.5ltr V6 with help from the motors so there isn't going to be a lot in it.

The RX300 is permanent 4WD though where as the 400h is FWD most of the time so there may be a fuel saving there as well.

The RX450h isn't out yet but is expected to be a significant improvement on the RX400h.

Thaks for the welcome back! :D

So I presume the RX450h will be the mark iii shape? Also does the RX400h feel as sure footed as the RX300 if it's mainly front wheeled drive or are there any other negative aspects about the ride/handling?

As you have a 300 rather than a 350 then the price you paid must have been a lot less than purchasing a 400h so having to spend an extra £200-400 a year on fuel doesn't seem too bad.

The 400h isn't really about better economy over the 300/350 it is more about extra performance for the same economy.

Thaks for the welcome back! :D

So I presume the RX450h will be the mark iii shape? Also does the RX400h feel as sure footed as the RX300 if it's mainly front wheeled drive or are there any other negative aspects about the ride/handling?

You get torque steer from the 400h which isn't great and it does feel a heavier vehicle. Also the boot is smaller.

I think I would only really consider the 400h if I were exclusively driving about in town - but even then, I would want one for an extended test drive to see if over the type of mileage I would be doing, if it would be of any benefit.

I had one on extended loan - and posted my experiences with it. It is no great secret that I am NO FAN of the 400h. One of the things to remember is that, should the weather outside be even slightly cold, the 400h will start on the petrol engine; the car will far too eagerly switch to running on petrol if the momentum breaks even slightly (especially) on a gradient; the car will switch from Battery to petrol but not back again unless you lift off and let the speed drop [to about 35MPH]. 'They' wont tell you all this because people automatically assume that being a hybrid, it will 'save me money' - it wont as unless you 'use' and 'adapt' your driving style specific to the hybrid, you will be lugging around a lot of extra weight that you are not benefiting from and then there is the FWD only handling of this car which makes issues like torque steer and rear end swinging out quite interesting.

I would strongly suggest you understand the type of vehicle the 400h is and is not, and then see if that can be reconciled with your use. the 300/350 is a cracking car, surefooted, great grip, well weighted and excellent to drive - but yes, possibly thirsty in town - but it is a petrol 3L-something V6.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll look for the previous write up by ihpj and see what other think as well. The premium for getting a 400h would be about £4k on top of the 300 but it would be about 2-3 years newer as well and probably my prefered colour choice. Although the whole reason we bought the RX300 was for the smooth drive, luxuary and safety of the car (being 4 wheel drive). However, I've been a little disappointed with the acceleration being a 3lt V6 .. I know it's a hefty car but it still seems a little sluggish from a standing start. Perhaps I've been spoilt with the Aristo and the supercharged IS200! :P

I think its worth pointing out that in reality all the Lexus Hybrid cars are that way for performance rather than economy.

GS450H - V8 power from a V6 engine. How do they do that? With help from electric motors.

RX400h - V8 power from a V6 engine. How do they do that? Yep, you guessed it, with help from electric motors.

If they had big V8 engines, no one would buy them (well, ok, less people anyway) and it's a clever marketing ploy to give you a performance car, with acceptable economy that also 'ticks some boxes' for the green brigade.

Lexus don't make or market economical cars - they are branded as a luxury car maker and are trying to soften the blow of running a large, comfortable fast car by using hybrid technology.

Customers who want economy buy a small car with a small engine - and the most economical for local short runs is a modern small petrol engine.

That's an interesting point of view, I never really thought of it like that. Ok then so I'm looking for a 4x4, that's luxurious, that's economical, that's quick, that's reliable and that's made by Lexus. :D Nah, I'm happy with the RX300 but going to test drive an RX400h tomorrow just to see if I like the difference... if I don't I'll stick, if I do then I might twist. ;) :P

Thanks for the views, definitely given me something to think about.

Cheers, Miles