Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Saw This In Asda " Stoke " Today & Bought A Few

Synthetic, 5w-30, ACEA A1/B1

£29.99 for 4 Litres in Halfords (£7.50 per litre).

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165581

Halfords have an on line "Advisor" service which is free, you simply insert your' vehicles' registration number and they will advise which type/types of engine oil are suitable and the quantity required. It is a bit of a science nowadays.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...5581_langId_-1

You can then go and buy it somewhere cheaper!!

By the way the oil for diesel engines is also on offer at £6.30

IMHO fully synthetic is better for the car from what I can remember from my days as a mechanic many moons ago, if you have a search about you'll see alot of people use fully synthetic 5w 30, I've just had a look on My IS and it's the same on there, if your not sure then google it and have a read up but i've no worries about putting it in mine, in fact at the mo it's got 10w 40 Magnatec semi in it and I've not been very happy with that since I put it in last July so the quicker I can change it the better.

IMHO fully synthetic is better for the car from what I can remember from my days as a mechanic many moons ago, if you have a search about you'll see alot of people use fully synthetic 5w 30, I've just had a look on My IS and it's the same on there, if your not sure then google it and have a read up but i've no worries about putting it in mine, in fact at the mo it's got 10w 40 Magnatec semi in it and I've not been very happy with that since I put it in last July so the quicker I can change it the better.

aye, i've heard the same matey. pretty sure thats the general consensus anyhow.

cheers matey

rob

cheers for that mate. so the IS is meant to run 5W-30 fully synthetic then?? i always thoiught it was reccomended to take semi synthetic??

Semi Synthetic is only suggested for the IS because it doesn't require any more so you would be "wasting" your money going fully synthetic.

Lexus/Toyota don't recommend either type, they just publish the specs the oil must meet. Those specs are in your handbook.

cheers for that mate. so the IS is meant to run 5W-30 fully synthetic then?? i always thoiught it was reccomended to take semi synthetic??

Semi Synthetic is only suggested for the IS because it doesn't require any more so you would be "wasting" your money going fully synthetic.

Lexus/Toyota don't recommend either type, they just publish the specs the oil must meet. Those specs are in your handbook.

yea i saw the spec list in the handbook and remember 5W-30 semi-synthetic. I just wasn't sure if using fully synthetic would be detrimental to the engine in some way (but couldn't imagine why). I was alos told that with the s/c fitted to mine, fully synthetic oil would be wiser than semi - but again, not sure why??

yea i saw the spec list in the handbook and remember 5W-30 semi-synthetic. I just wasn't sure if using fully synthetic would be detrimental to the engine in some way (but couldn't imagine why). I was alos told that with the s/c fitted to mine, fully synthetic oil would be wiser than semi - but again, not sure why??

I'm not sure the handbook states semi-synthetic but 5W-30 is certainly one of the recommended grades.

With a SC I would recommend using fully synthetic oil. Synthetic oil can tolerate greater pressures and temperatures over mineral and semi-synth oil and also offers better engine protection for the same viscosity.