Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Taxed Their Car On Line?

ormi

just wondering has any one had any greef from the plod?taxed mine last night on line but my current tax ran out at 1201am!the dvla says on the site that you can legally drive your car or park your car on a public road without a valid disk as long as you've bought one on line or by phone for 5 days after its ran out!!!

anyone done this?and did you get greef or funny looks? :unsure:

I was driving around in mine last time before it turned up and got no bother, I think the police only really stop if they spot a really old tax disk as the colours are different?

Motoring Tax your vehicle online or by phoneYou can tax your vehicle online or by phone if you:

are the registered keeper of the vehicle and your name, address and any vehicle changes are updated at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

have a ‘Vehicle Licence Application/Statutory Off Road Notification’ (V11 reminder) or Registration Certificate (V5C)

have valid insurance covering the use of the vehicle on the day the tax disc comes into force

have a valid MOT, Goods Vehicle or Passenger Service Vehicle (PSV) test (if needed) which is valid when the tax disc comes into force

have a debit or credit card - a £2.50 service charge applies when using a credit card, there’s no charge for using a debit card

have a valid DLA404 if you’re entitled to disability exemption

You can renew your tax any day from the fifth day of the month.

If you prefer to tax in the last few days of the month, there is now an exemption from the offence of not displaying a tax disc.This exemption covers the first five working days of the month and allows time for the new disc to arrive in the post.

The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires.

I have just changed cars and have to say it makes you wonder what use is there for a cover note from your insurance company, you can not use it to tax the car as post office said they can only accept certificate, so unable to tax at the post office. can not tax online as do not have v5 document back from dvla yet.

According to DVLA taxing a car should not be taxing but i seem to be banging my head agaist a wall trying to buy tax..

Regards

Russell.

My mate got hassle by the police before... The first time he ever tax a car online.

Maybe they have this exemption because my mate got a ticket from them for "not displaying valid tax disk"

The thing is they even check on the computer and it say that the car is tax, but he still got done for not "displaying" it.

:(

I love the online method. I arranged an online tax disc 2 days before my road tax was due and even kept my old one on display for a further 2 weeks before i changed it LOL. It's because i have one of them metal tax disc holders that had like 5 allen screws and i was too lazy to change it, but then the only place i parked was in my driveway or at private carpark at work. If i was going to park anywhere else i would not have left it that long. I believe you can still in trouble for NOT displaying it, even when you do have a valid tax disc elsewhere. Just out of interest what happens when you are caught without displaying a valid tax disc (even if you have a possesion of one), is it still classed as no tax disc, period?

i taxed my van on line

whilst i was in portugal and it arrived at my uk address 2 days later was posted to me and when i went back to uk aweek later all was very cool, no problems at all

My mate got hassle by the police before... The first time he ever tax a car online.

Maybe they have this exemption because my mate got a ticket from them for "not displaying valid tax disk"

It sounds like they were being bellends or just didn't know the correct procedure - as long as it's taxed and it's in the post there shouldn't be anything they can do I wouldn't have thought. If it's a case of it being weeks later fair enough, it would make life much easier if we just adopted something similar to the German approach, that way it's on the numberplate for all to see.

I did mine online again and it arrived within 3 days still £185.00 for a 4 litre car!!! and I am entered in the prize draw for a SEAT but if I win I will keep my own because they are full leather and comfortable :whistling:

It sounds like they were being bellends or just didn't know the correct procedure - as long as it's taxed and it's in the post there shouldn't be anything they can do I wouldn't have thought. If it's a case of it being weeks later fair enough, it would make life much easier if we just adopted something similar to the German approach, that way it's on the numberplate for all to see.

All our cars get taxed online....never so far any problems, I can only assume your mate was not displaying a tax disc well into the month, technically even if you have tax not displaying is an offence....if it was up to a week he should have gone to court, provided hes not a "hoody" it'll have been thrown out :lol:

If he paid up in time online it'll have been on the national computer when they checked so there must have been a bit more to it than just not displaying I reckon.

Best regards David