Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Coilover Query

abbott

I really REALLY want a set of coilovers for my IS200 , i have been having a look around and im quite interested in the BC Sports set (on eBay between 550-600)

Now the reason i want these is i want to lower my car and i dont want to make a 1/2 attempt as i notice the lowest you can go with springs is 40mm i want to go a lot lower than this.

I live in the highlands so i have no worries with speed bumps etc , im interested to know what its like living with coilovers ie the settings i notice you can have them soft or hard etc

Are they worth the money knowing i will only be using them for road going purpose ?

Is it easy to set coilovers up ?

How do you know exactly how much lower you have gone ?

Is it worth paying the extra and saving for a set of Tein's or is it much and such the same thing ?

thanks in advance for any help ...

Depending on how many miles your car (condition of stock shocks) has done I'd save the money and just go for Tein springs. They say that they only lower like 30/20mm but in reality its a lot lot more. Have a search on here for lowering, I think it gives the car a good stance, and considering their a fifth of the price of coils, cant argue.

However its your money, depends how long you intend on keeping the car.

As for the other questions

1. See above (not really in my opinion)

2. Yes but you'll probably need somewhere to redo the suspension geometry

3. Trial and error

4. Pay the extr for HSD's in my opinion, meant to be the best money can buy.

ive just put springs on my car(done on sat)heres the pic of how it will look with 40mm springs.the box i got said it lowers the back by 50mm but we'll see when it settles.

like the way the front sits i just hope the back drops a wee bit.

ps my sport is a 99 which sat really high at the back!

p010309154401.jpg

p0103091544.jpg

I have been using MeisterR Coilovers on my Altezza for the past 5 months and they have been great.

Not hard for a daily drive, but can stiffen up if I want to do some "spirited" driving. :whistling:

Are they worth the money knowing i will only be using them for road going purpose ?

For me, they have been great. My standard suspension is about 100,000 miles old and you can really feel the difference when you but new suspension on.

Stiffer linear rate springs also makes the car handles much better and become more predictable.

Is it easy to set coilovers up ?

Coilovers is a complete replacement, you take off the old damper unit and put in the new. You won't even need a spring compressor.

How do you know exactly how much lower you have gone ?

Don't know, just lower it until it looks right. But my rear is 20mm higher then the front, makes the car feel more balanced when I drive it.

Is it worth paying the extra and saving for a set of Tein's or is it much and such the same thing ?

I actually don't rate Tein as most of their coilovers are TwinTube dampers. For the price they charge, it should be MonoTube.

But then their MonoTube dampers are a lot more expensive.

2524Title.jpg

2524side.jpg

2524rear.jpg

Yes, I know I need a new set of wheels. :angry:

Thanks for all the input.

I am going to have to have a good look about as i want to find the right set as i want to go mega low.

Funnily enough even my missus is game for me getting a set even though shes nipping my head for an engagement ring shes allowing me to buy coilys 1st ! (it could well be love)

I am going to have to have a good look about as i want to find the right set as i want to go mega low.

Funnily enough even my missus is game for me getting a set even though shes nipping my head for an engagement ring shes allowing me to buy coilys 1st ! (it could well be love)

get it all when you can matey coz soon as the ring is on thats it!!!!!! and once married it gets worse!!! :lol:

(i got married in aug)

ps good luck on goin low!!!

get it all when you can matey coz soon as the ring is on thats it!!!!!! and once married it gets worse!!! :lol:

(i got married in aug)

ps good luck on goin low!!!

LOL yeah mate we are realistically engaged anyway but i just havent purchased the bling for her yet .

The low mission is firmly on .

I was bidding on those too :lol: my limit was £250 to be honest. £315 plus postage is crazy money for second hand poverty spec Teins. Few years ago before the strength of £ vs Yen collapsed sure the yare only £450 new!

I think I might just save a bit of cash and get some brand new HSD Smoothy's. At least they come with top mounts, are mono-tube, damping adjustable and come in comfy spec for road use.

I was bidding on those too :lol: my limit was £250 to be honest. £315 plus postage is crazy money for second hand poverty spec Teins. Few years ago before the strength of £ vs Yen collapsed sure the yare only £450 new!

I think I might just save a bit of cash and get some brand new HSD Smoothy's. At least they come with top mounts, are mono-tube, damping adjustable and come in comfy spec for road use.

LOL funnily enough matey since waking up today im delighted i never won them , for the sake of an extra £200 getting a brand new set that i know are in perfect condition is going to make a hell of a difference.

I never even knew they were the poverty spec ones either so thats a double brucey bonus .

I've just put the Tein Superstreets on my tezza and the difference is huge in my opinion. Car is alot more responsive, seems to stick to the road a lot more! At the moment I havent changed the settings on them so their still stiff as hell and at that they're still comfortable enough. Seem low enough, put it this way I'm getting caught on speed ramps now that I didnt when I just had the lowering springs.

They're designed for daily road use and the odd trackday as well. I think they're great and delighted I got them. Got them off eBay from amber performance for £650 I think. Worked out with delivery etc about €130/€150 cheaper that if I got them here!

Personally I'd say go for it. Got my mechanic to put them on for me, he builds t/a & drift cars for a living and he uses Tein in everything he does but have heard good things about the BC's as well!

i was looking at some d2 coilovers on ebay today, anybody had any experience of these?

D2 are very hard and really only for track use ... also not very reliable, stay away ;)