Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have reduced the tyre pressures on my IS250 SEL from the recommended 35 front /38 rear to 34 front 35 rear, and I feel it gives a much better ride on typical poor quality surfaces, especially around town. I reduced the rear pressures by more than the front because I hardly ever carry rear seat passengers.

I would not expect this degree of change to impact significantly on tyre wear, fuel use or safety. But does anyone know why Lexus do not recommend different pressures for laden /unladen use? Is it because in practice few owners would bother to make the adjustment?

I have reduced the tyre pressures on my IS250 SEL from the recommended 35 front /38 rear to 34 front 35 rear, and I feel it gives a much better ride on typical poor quality surfaces, especially around town. I reduced the rear pressures by more than the front because I hardly ever carry rear seat passengers.

I would not expect this degree of change to impact significantly on tyre wear, fuel use or safety. But does anyone know why Lexus do not recommend different pressures for laden /unladen use? Is it because in practice few owners would bother to make the adjustment?

Fuel usage will rise and you may well get the outside of your tyres wearing more than they should

Whereas on my 220 I find better handling and consumption by increasing the pressure to 38 psi all round! Did it in conjunction with the warmer weather a couple of weeks ago and it went from 35 mpg up to 45 mpg!