Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Brakes---whats Going On?

Forester

Can anyone please help?

I just replaced the nearside front caliper and put new pads in at the same time. Despite clamping off the brake pipes when replacing the caliper the pedel felt a bit spongy after. I bled the brake and the pedal felt fine. Problem is...the brake is jammed hard on! It seems like the new caliper won't retract. I checked the pads and they were fitted ok.

Has anyone got any ideas? All suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers!

Try free spinning each wheel, on both side are they spinning freely? So basically you're saying that the pedal is staying down or are they jammed and won't depress? Can't say i've seen this problem before, it's not something stupid like you forgot to unclamp the brake hose or the drivers mat is jammed under the pedal?

Can anyone please help?

I just replaced the nearside front caliper and put new pads in at the same time. Despite clamping off the brake pipes when replacing the caliper the pedel felt a bit spongy after. I bled the brake and the pedal felt fine. Problem is...the brake is jammed hard on! It seems like the new caliper won't retract. I checked the pads and they were fitted ok.

Has anyone got any ideas? All suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers!

did you check the caliper slides?did you get the bit the pads go in or just the bare caliper?if you just got the bare caliper i suspect the slides could be seized theirs two of them one top one bottom try removing and cleanin then rebuild usin high temp grese or copperslip.

hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick replys

The caliper is a new one

I just fitted the top part of the caliper. The bottom section seems ok. The sliders are working, definetly not stuck. I will give them a clean and grease though.

Its just as if the brake has stuck on...the same effect as the old one I replaced!

Cheers!

Thanks for the quick replys

The caliper is a new one

I just fitted the top part of the caliper. The bottom section seems ok. The sliders are working, definetly not stuck. I will give them a clean and grease though.

Its just as if the brake has stuck on...the same effect as the old one I replaced!

Cheers!

could be the pipe has collapsed inside due to the clamp if you can see the marks were you clamped it try squezing it on the other side if you know what i mean.

Right mate have you got old discs on and if so they will have a lip on the outside where the pad is catching/rubbing thus causing it to stick but it should not affect it when you drive.... Is it sticking when you turn ity by hand? It will feel spongy if you have old warn discs on..are the discs in good condition ie: no grooves corrosion etc...

A new caliper should work properly and the insie of the pipe will not colapse as it is rubber so no probs there matey....

more info will help with trying to diagnose the problem

hope it helps old lad

Right mate have you got old discs on and if so they will have a lip on the outside where the pad is catching/rubbing thus causing it to stick but it should not affect it when you drive.... Is it sticking when you turn ity by hand? It will feel spongy if you have old warn discs on..are the discs in good condition ie: no grooves corrosion etc...

A new caliper should work properly and the insie of the pipe will not colapse as it is rubber so no probs there matey....

more info will help with trying to diagnose the problem

hope it helps old lad

the inside of a rubber brake pipe can colapse!!!their is three parts which make a brake pipe the bit you see(rubber)under the rubber you have a sort of fabric then inside the fabric you have more rubber!

what happens is the rubber brakes away fom the inside of the fabric and stops fluid returnin ie the inside of the brake pipe colapse's!!

reno tec 8 years toyota tec 4 years and seen this more than a few times mainly due to the flexi being clamped too tight!

and to foster no problem matey glad to help!!!!