Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie, Saying Hi & Thinking Of Purchassing Lexus Is200

Hi everyone,

I am a regular of lots of owners club forums, so I know that I will get referred to the 'search function' but I have already had a look through the forum a fair bit.

I am currentlly in the process of selling my BMW Z3 2.8 (I also have a 2004 Yaris 1.4 D4D, and a 2004 Avensis Verso 2.0 T spirit auto), and will probably be looking at either an IS200 or Previous gen Civic Type-R.

Before the BMW I had a 1999 Mk 5 Prelude 2.2 VTi (red top VTEC version), and before that a 1993 Mazda 323 1.6i as a student. I got some bee in my bonnet and somehow thought the BMW would be a better bet than the Prelude... but it is not. I just like the way Japanese cars are put together, and the no frills reliability and durability.

The Prelude was great, but it only had 5 gears (compared to the Type R and IS200's 6), so motorway cruising was not economical as the car did 4500RPM at 75-80mph, and was also a pretty loud affair.

I have been very happy with the Toyota and Honda cars that I have owned, and I do not doubt the IS200 for an all round bet - it's no rocket, but I am sure it shines well in all departments. I have gone off German cars now, not what they used to be at all, sadly.

Upon looking for IS200's some questions have been thrown at me....

There was never a true facelift as far as I can tell, were all cars specced the same throughout? (Since I would be looking at a Sport version, will they all be specced the same).

Are there any major things that need doing at certain milages, if so what? What else to look for?

Any models to avoid, years to avoid???

Manual or Auto??? I know the Lexus auto cant be beaten, but I would prefer a manual.... but only if general consensus advises it. (Was cruise control an option on the manual - Prelude had manual with cruise control, and was great)?

Any other relevant info greatly appreciated.

Basically I would be looking for a low milage Sport IS200. I can't see the point of the IS300 given recent climates, although it is a really nice car (same engine as GS300/ RX300 I am guessing).

I was looking at a SC430/ GS430 last year, but have since humbled myself....probably like most of the world right now!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ben

Welcome mate,

There was a slight change in spec mid 2001, to both side electric seats and a few other bits and bobs.

The very late 2005s had full leather.

And personally id suggest the manual. Though theres no cruise control.

Stav

Go for the IS. You won't regret it. Its not the quickest car in the world, but its enough to be entertaining, not really off the lights cos its a quite a heavy car, but let it rev in second and it sounds fabulous when the VVTi kicks in. Then when you finish playing stick it in 6 and cruise along in near silence. Wheras with the Civin its always a Type r if you know what i mean.

Ive got a manual sport and love it, but unfortunatly no cruise on manuals so you have to pick, not been in an auto so can't comment.

As for the sport its got LSD, slightly lower suspension on the backs, and little shiney bits like alloy pedals and sill plates. If you can find one with a styling kit go for it (i prefer TTE,see my pic, over the trd, but both are a subtle improvement to the standard car).

As for the economy, best thing is don't keep a record of mileage or money spent on fuel and you'll be ok. Just pull the trigger til it clicks, then give the woman your card, its much less painful.lol

I hope u make the right choice.lol, you know u want to

Gazza

change in spec around 51 plate . sport only came as manual, dash is all black, seats both electric and black seats had grey pipeing, standard grille came with 3 bars earlier models had 4, sport has rear tints with logo in window :)

change in spec around 51 plate . sport only came as manual, dash is all black, seats both electric and black seats had grey pipeing, standard grille came with 3 bars earlier models had 4, sport has rear tints with logo in window :)

The IS200 is the better all-rounder I know. Shame about the cruise.... I have a problem with my knee, but love manual, and it's great to just cruise control it when the knee hurts.... Whats the manual box like? The Z3 2.8 is like shifting an old tank in to gear!

What Road tax levy does it fall in?

The manual box is quite nice, som cars do suffer from being a bit sticky between 1-2 especially when cold. Mine does it slightly, but I find if I make a consious effort to push the clutch all the way down it helps. And when in 6th you can travel at any speed between 30-130 and it doesn't seem to complain.

At the moment the tax is 210 (or maybe 215 dont know if its gone up). If was going to be effected by the whole goverment used car price slamming tax hire conspirousy, but it seems thats now been delayed. If your worried about the tax, try and find a pre 2001 car, as it'l stay at the old system of above below 1500cc.

Gazza

do it buddy !

My last 3 cars have been Impreza WRX , Skyline GTS and lastly an Integra Type R

Although i have only been an owner for 3 days i am SO SO delighted with my IS200 although not a sport and not very fast compared to my previous cars it never fails to raise a smile on my face every time i drive it , absolute luxury and to be honest they sound gorgeous !

The car just feels so right and so well built i would highly reccomend one to anybody !

Not to bad on fuel either i have done 740 miles so far on £120.

If your buying one with more than 60k OTC then make sure it's had the cam belt and stuff done, if not then would recommend getting it done sooner rather than later, also if your buying older check the CD player doesn't throw up err3 ( not always possible and it may do it after you buy but try and check anyway).

Overall tho matey great cars, you'd be hard pushed to find one that's got major problems.

I can't see the point of the IS300 given recent climates, although it is a really nice car
Why ever not? The engine's superb (and the auto box with the steering wheel buttons works really well), cruise comes as standard and the running costs don't seem to be that different.

Go for it dude, iv only had mine for 2 weeks now and loving every minute of it. A great car a lovely smooth ride, they feel very solid and well made. Like you my last few cars have be performance cars. My last car was a mint toyota MR2 MK1 that has been my best car so far! But its too soon say if my is200 is going to take that top spot, but i like its chances.

Go for it dude, iv only had mine for 2 weeks now and loving every minute of it. A great car a lovely smooth ride, they feel very solid and well made. Like you my last few cars have be performance cars. My last car was a mint toyota MR2 MK1 that has been my best car so far! But its too soon say if my is200 is going to take that top spot, but i like its chances.

Those MR2's are special things indeed. Thats why I don't really care how long my car takes to convert because I have a MR2 to bum around in!!

IS200 is close to being the best car I have owned, it only falls short because it is sooooo slow and only beaten by the Porsches (1, 911 and we are on our 2nd Boxter) so pretty stiff competition.

Those MR2's are special things indeed. Thats why I don't really care how long my car takes to convert because I have a MR2 to bum around in!!

IS200 is close to being the best car I have owned, it only falls short because it is sooooo slow and only beaten by the Porsches (1, 911 and we are on our 2nd Boxter) so pretty stiff competition.

Dude which MR2 you got? There a great car! I loved mine to bits but it was'nt pratical for me any more :( .

Dude which MR2 you got? There a great car! I loved mine to bits but it was'nt pratical for me any more :( .

Tbar GT16. no turbo though.

The timing belt is the no. 1 issue. If it's 6 years + or >60K and you don't have solid proof it has been done, then it's very important to get it done properly with all the ancillary bits.