Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Torsion Spring On Bypass Valve

Hi Guys was just out driving and the car started to run a bit wierd.. the BOV also stopped working and then was fluttering quietly when letting off under high revs?? I opened the bonnet and found that the "Torsion" spring that closes the bypass valve has snapped! :( I have the other spring still helping to close it but does anyone know where i can get a new one from? or does anyone have a spare lying around i can buy??

Cheers for any help!

Tom.

Send an email to TTE, the same happened to mine, i sent them an email and they sent a new one out straight away for free.

Stav

Hey mate have sent them an E-mail. Might me a silly question but will it do the charger or car any harm driving it without the bypass closing quickly/ properly??

Tom.

No i wouldnt think so, and its actually opening the bypass the spring. releasing the pressure,

it may be trying to stall the charger a bit, and possibly causing the belt to slip a bit.

But the BOV should help the situation anyway,

u dont need 2 springs on the bypass - i assume the spring that snapped is the biro type spring and u still have the mousetrap style fitted ( excuse the highly technical descriptions! haha)

the mousetrap type spring is more than adequate

Pictures say a thousand words lol!

Spring.jpg

Spring2.jpg

I'll just wait for a reply from TTE and drive the car sensibly for now......... and the BOV seems to not release the pressure as well as before?? does at low revs but at high revs seems to quietly flutter??

Tom.

ah ! its normally the other way around - the crappy biro spring snaps it also doesnt have sufficient strength to close the bypass hence your issues.

I also suggest you adjust your bypass cable a little so u have some more outer cable showing as having the cable too tight can cause damage/faults to the throttle butterfly stepper motor

ah ! its normally the other way around - the crappy biro spring snaps it also doesnt have sufficient strength to close the bypass hence your issues.

I also suggest you adjust your bypass cable a little so u have some more outer cable showing as having the cable too tight can cause damage/faults to the throttle butterfly stepper motor

Oh ok cheers Rob, i thought the tighter or less slack the bypass cable had the better, make it more responsive as the valve would open with the throttle.....?? will give it some more slack tomorrow.

tis a bit difficult to discribe as each cable/car is a bit different but as the throttle moves to its max position you want the cable adjusted so the bypass is just closing, it it closes before the throttle reaches the max position you are putting load on the throttle stepper motor - make sense?

mine's still running the original old type of spring and i've never (touch wood) had any problems with it.

Seems to be hit and miss with these in all honesty, but yeah, TTE will sort you out mate.