Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windsreen Wipers And Light Behind Temp Settings

Hi I wonder if anyone could help me with 2 problems I have noticed with my latest acquisition - 1997 LS400.

I am amazed with the quality and performance and intend to keep this vehicle for a little while - without going too mad!

1. The windscreen wipers sometimes bash to the left and the right of the windscreen and sometimes just bash one side. At other times, especially on intermittent, the wipers stop at a slightly higher level, only to park lower when switched off. I cannot detect a pattern for this, except to say that when on continual wiper setting, the wipers always seem to bash the horizontal, rather than stopping at the higher setting.

Does that make any sense?!

2. At night I can barely read the display that shows the temperature settings for left and right, and wonder if a bulb is out. Is it a simple method to fix?

Kindest regards

Hi,

The windscreen wipers have a "park" position so when they are off completely they drop down lower below the bonnet line to improve the dynamics of the car.

When you put them on intermittant wipe setting you will see they "park " at a higher level when you turn them completely off they will drop further down.

This is not a fault but a superb Lexus design!!!!

If they are hitting bits on the screen they shouldn't it could be that the arms are misaligned or more likely someone has fitted the incorrect size wiper blades as there are many variations on the sizes plus one side is different to the other.

As for the display this is a common problem on earlier models but not as far as I know on yours so if the LCD is clear and readable in daylight it is probably the backlight bulbs which are out.

They can be replaced but it's a major strip down to do, a lot a people have replaced the bulbs with LEDs as they are a plug and play replacement and never go again.

Hi,

The windscreen wipers have a "park" position so when they are off completely they drop down lower below the bonnet line to improve the dynamics of the car.

When you put them on intermittant wipe setting you will see they "park " at a higher level when you turn them completely off they will drop further down.

This is not a fault but a superb Lexus design!!!!

If they are hitting bits on the screen they shouldn't it could be that the arms are misaligned or more likely someone has fitted the incorrect size wiper blades as there are many variations on the sizes plus one side is different to the other.

As for the display this is a common problem on earlier models but not as far as I know on yours so if the LCD is clear and readable in daylight it is probably the backlight bulbs which are out.

They can be replaced but it's a major strip down to do, a lot a people have replaced the bulbs with LEDs as they are a plug and play replacement and never go again.

Hi I love the park design and agree that it is a superb idea especially as I am sure it improves the drag coefficient. The problem with my car is that the wipers often bang down hard to the stop by the bonnet and then crash into the windsreen pillar. Further sweeps will be exactly as Lexus intended. Then the cycle starts again and the impact is quite dramatic. It isn't the length of the blades that appears to be the problem, it is the swept area which is often too great.

I really appreciate your help on both these topics and wonder if the 'major strip down' for the replacement bulbs is beyond an amateur? The panel is perfectly clear during the day.

Kindest regards and the LOC forum is great!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links