Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Change Rear Discs/pads

dajcksc

Hello Guys,

I'm looking for any tips on how to change my rear discs and pads. Got some new ones off eBay and now getting ready to fit them and would appreciate an idiots guide! I've had a look around the Forums but can't see any tips. Cheers in advance.

Dave

post-3638-1236202388.jpg

Hello Guys,

I'm looking for any tips on how to change my rear discs and pads. Got some new ones off eBay and now getting ready to fit them and would appreciate an idiots guide! I've had a look around the Forums but can't see any tips. Cheers in advance.

Dave

jack the car up and remove the wheel on the rear caliper you'll see a pin with a wee R clip in it pull that out then remove the pin(might have to hammer it out) then remove the pads(keep all shims)now the caliper is held on with two 17mm bolts remove them and hang the caliper up to take the weight off the flexi.

you'll see a wee rubber bung on the disk remove this and turn till the hole is at the bottom(youll need a torch) shine the torch in to the hole and you'll see a wee cog(hand brake adjuster)turn this till you can remove the disk(if you turn it the wrong way the disk wont move)remove the disk by chapping with a hammer then pull it off!

rebuild the same way as you removed(when you have the caliper bolted back in you'll need to push the pistons back)remember and use copper slip on the pads!!!

hope that helps..

hey dude just noticed you stay in edinburgh??i stay in penicuik so if you dont feel sure about doing it you could pop to mine?1 hour max to do the job matey.

anyone around Norwich area willing to give me a bit of help? Need to do mine too and not too confident...

i done daves on sunday their honestly even with all the talkin and taking it easy your lucky if it took me 15mins a side!just take your time and you'll be fine

i will try and get some pics and make a walk through on how to do it! :winky:

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Be nice to have images to go along with the instructions so we can see before hand, so know what to expect. Also need the torque settings for the bolts/wheelnuts etc. Im thinking about having a go at changing my rear ones, might take a load of images and let someone else do the words lol.

Be nice to have images to go along with the instructions so we can see before hand, so know what to expect. Also need the torque settings for the bolts/wheelnuts etc. Im thinking about having a go at changing my rear ones, might take a load of images and let someone else do the words lol.

I agree that having the torque settings in a walkthrough would be great, but they're also available in the online workshop manual, e.g. here.

• 1 month later...

I changed my rear discs and had a complete nightmare, took me about 4 hours to change both back discs and pads. I didnt know you had to turn the cog behind the disc to get it off and thought it was seized or rusted. After banging it with a hammer for 5 minutes i realised but not before a broke the brake shoe hold down cup which keeps one of the springs in place. Not expensive to fix put a real pain getting the part and fitting it. Saved money in the end at least:)

Rear disc is very difficult.You have to go to workshop or someone strong enough to pull the 32 nut.

32 nut?? were about????????????????????????? not on the back brakes of a is theirs not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i done jacks rear disks and pads in approx 15mins a side! would have been quicker but we were talkin.

the biggest nut is a 21mm and thats the wheel nut ,the next biggest one is a bolt and thats a 17mm and thats it