Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi and thanks for reading this!

I am new and have asked a few questions already, so hope that it is OK to ask another topic?

The boot release doesn't appear to work from inside the car, nor does the button on the keyfob appear to work.

I am sure that I am doing this right and wonder if there is an obvious problem. Could there be a fuse that has gone. etc?

Kindest regards and hope that I haven't operated outside the rules of the LOC. I have searched this topic in vain.

David

Hi,

Not sure if the LS400 is the same but on the LS430 the car can be programmed by the dealer for certain functions.

One of these is that the button has to be held for over 3 seconds before the boot opens.

Worth a try 1st.

Does the ls400 have a key hole for the boot? (sorry i'm an is200 owner :) ) not sure if its the same on the LS? But on the IS if the lock is in a certain position the key remote and the lever inside the car wont work the boot release? so maybe insert the key in the boot lock and change the position of the lock barrel on the boot to see if it does the same? :unsure: IIRC on the IS if the lock is facing to 3 oclock it stops the boot functions from working but at 12 oclock they both work? :)

Does the ls400 have a key hole for the boot? (sorry i'm an is200 owner :) ) not sure if its the same on the LS? But on the IS if the lock is in a certain position the key remote and the lever inside the car wont work the boot release? so maybe insert the key in the boot lock and change the position of the lock barrel on the boot to see if it does the same? :unsure: IIRC on the IS if the lock is facing to 3 oclock it stops the boot functions from working but at 12 oclock they both work? :)

Hi thanks so much for the information. The key is at 12 I think always - please read next post!

Hi,

Not sure if the LS400 is the same but on the LS430 the car can be programmed by the dealer for certain functions.

One of these is that the button has to be held for over 3 seconds before the boot opens.

Worth a try 1st.

Hi thanks for this great information. The key fob indeed works if held for 3 seconds, so great tip thanks. The pull button inside the car doesn't appear to work still whatever position I put the ignition key in/out and engine on/off, door open/closed!

Hope to find out answer without having to go to Lexus!

Kindest regards

David

Hi,

Worth a try 1st.

Hi thanks for this great information. The key fob indeed works if held for 3 seconds, so great tip thanks. The pull button inside the car doesn't appear to work still whatever position I put the ignition key in/out and engine on/off, door open/closed!

Kindest regards

David

same here.... the button inside the car does nothing

unfortunatly i only got one key with my car.... and its only got one button on it (i assume its not the master key).... for the central locking. unfortunatly the key only fits the drivers door the ignition and the boot.... not the passanger door, the glove box or the key hole near the boot release button (which i assume enables/ disables the release button)

my long term plan is to get all the locks changed..... but im guessing thats going to be expensive (if possible lol)

As a tempory solution (assuming my assumption about the key hole near the boot release is correct0.... is it possible to remove the lock and bypass it.... or force the lock to the other position???

Try putting the remote against your forehead, it makes it work better, increases the range. "Honest"

Hi and thanks for both of these. I will try the forehead bit tomorow if only to amuse the kids! Engine off is a great bit of help thanks will try that again also

Kindest regards and thanks for helping a newcomer!

Hi,

Worth a try 1st.

Kindest regards

David

same here.... the button inside the car does nothing

unfortunatly i only got one key with my car.... and its only got one button on it (i assume its not the master key).... for the central locking. unfortunatly the key only fits the drivers door the ignition and the boot.... not the passanger door, the glove box or the key hole near the boot release button (which i assume enables/ disables the release button)

my long term plan is to get all the locks changed..... but im guessing thats going to be expensive (if possible lol)

As a tempory solution (assuming my assumption about the key hole near the boot release is correct0.... is it possible to remove the lock and bypass it.... or force the lock to the other position???

Best of luck with your car and sounds a whole lot of expense! Many thanks

Hello David.

I don't know exactly how the boot release from inside the car works, but I am assuming it is not a cable release so it might be an electrical problem. :unsure:

Perhaps the switch that the lever that you pull operates is broken or even the lever is not making contact with the switch.

You said that the boot opens with the key and also with the remote so it can't be the catch mechanism in the boot.

If it is just the switch at fault then it should be a fairly cheap fix.

I hope you get it sorted.

Redsteve.

Hello David.

I don't know exactly how the boot release from inside the car works, but I am assuming it is not a cable release so it might be an electrical problem. :unsure:

Perhaps the switch that the lever that you pull operates is broken or even the lever is not making contact with the switch.

You said that the boot opens with the key and also with the remote so it can't be the catch mechanism in the boot.

Redsteve.

As Redsteve says it does not use a cable for the boot release but an ECU surprise surprise is involved.

Again not familiar with the 97 model but on mine there is a key lock that prevents use of the boot and fuel flap openers between the two levers but as I say it may be different on the 97 model.

If you are ok with wiring I have the electrical diagram so you can check the circuits.

As Redsteve says it does not use a cable for the boot release but an ECU surprise surprise is involved.

Again not familiar with the 97 model but on mine there is a key lock that prevents use of the boot and fuel flap openers between the two levers but as I say it may be different on the 97 model.

If you are ok with wiring I have the electrical diagram so you can check the circuits.

i would certainly be interested in the electric dia

can i just check...... are you saying the key lock locks both the boot opener AND the fuel cap opener?

my fuel flap opens just fine.... the boot doesnt..... i had assumed the key lock (which i dont have a key for) only locked the boot opener.

i have a '91 ls400 btw

Hello David.

Redsteve.

Thanks Redsteve, I will have this checked out - cheers!

can i just check...... are you saying the key lock locks both the boot opener AND the fuel cap opener?

my fuel flap opens just fine.... the boot doesnt..... i had assumed the key lock (which i dont have a key for) only locked the boot opener.

i have a '91 ls400 btw

many thanks for this info. I will check this keylock in the morning, but not sure that my model has this. I would be very interested in the electrical diagram as am taking the car in to have a tow bar fitted next week.

Kindest regards,

David

i have a '91 ls400 btw

many thanks for this info. I will check this keylock in the morning, but not sure that my model has this. I would be very interested in the electrical diagram as am taking the car in to have a tow bar fitted next week.

Kindest regards,

David

Hi all it seems that my car works fine as I hadn't realised how the key worked. I assume there were originally 2 keys, one to give the garage or attendant to park the car, who wouldn't have any access to the boot. This is is the same as in my (ex) RR, which had this facility on the glove box.

Many thanks to all you kind people!