Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speedometer Is Wrong

Has anyone else had problems with the speedometer? My speedometer is 5mph behind the actual correct speed at all times. I have tried two sat navs in the car, and both agree that my speedometer is wrong.

This is a real pain. Anyone any ideas?

Many thanks,

David

Hang on, yours is backwards so the speedo is reading slower than the GPS - hmmm have you got aftermarket alloys or something on there? If not that's definitely knackered!

As the guys say it's ok for it to read faster than the GPS but not slower!

Yeah but if I'm reading it David's is the other way!

They read quick so you can't sue the manufacturer in you get done for speeding when your speedo is under reading!

Good point actually as I don't think cars are tested for this on an MOT are they?

They read quick so you can't sue the manufacturer in you get done for speeding when your speedo is under reading!

Good point actually as I don't think cars are tested for this on an MOT are they?

correct dude cars are not tested for their speedos or their rev counters etc all your checking for on that panel is the warning lights ie abs(light on a fail mot abort test)

Aido is correct. It is the speedo that is slower than the gps.

Is it costly to get it fixed?

I thought it was roughly 10% out on the IS as the difference is greater the faster you drive. I do know that Japanese cars are calibrated to be a larger percentage over than European cars as my old Focus and my folks Touran are much closer to the real speed.

I thought it was roughly 10% out on the IS as the difference is greater the faster you drive. I do know that Japanese cars are calibrated to be a larger percentage over than European cars as my old Focus and my folks Touran are much closer to the real speed.

I like your new signature, esp the "mods to come" bit!!

Yep getting a nice present for the car on the 19th. I'm hoping the gap in my engine bay will be filled by the end of next month :) Just waiting for my insurance renewal to come up.

think of it this way - you wont get done for speeding if u stick to the indicated speed!

Not quite, he says his speedo is reading a lower speed than the GPS, so he will get done if he sticks to the indicated speed!

That sounds like a bizarre problem if the wheels, etc. are all standard........assume there's a speed sensor somewhere that could be faulty?

think of it this way - you wont get done for speeding if u stick to the indicated speed!

Not quite, he says his speedo is reading a lower speed than the GPS, so he will get done if he sticks to the indicated speed!

That sounds like a bizarre problem if the wheels, etc. are all standard........assume there's a speed sensor somewhere that could be faulty?

i read it again and messed up the original reply.... meant to say somth along lines of as its reading faster u now now how much by so just stick to the speed limit and u will be ok.