Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Average Life Of Oil Filter

Andy-R

Does anyone know what the average of an oil filter is? I'm going to change my oil soon but have only done about 4k on the filter and don't really want to have to change that again because it was an arse last time, it's not an OEM filter but it is a Mahl one which is just as good IMHO.

Cheers.

Dunno mate, but most people change the oil filter as well as the oil- I certainly do regardless of mileage.

Makes sense (to me) to change the oil filter as well as the engine oil- no point putting clean oil through a dirty/old oil filter.

if u have only done 4k why u changing the oil?

Changin it because it's got 10w40 semi in it and i'm not very happy with it, so swapping for some 5w30 fully synthetic.

Dunno mate, but most people change the oil filter as well as the oil- I certainly do regardless of mileage.

Makes sense (to me) to change the oil filter as well as the engine oil- no point putting clean oil through a dirty/old oil filter.

I do normally change the filter aswell but it's a pain on the IS the last time I done it it was on really tight and took ages to get off because of the lack of space.

I would definately change the oil filter in this instance as you are changing from semi synthetic oil to fully.

Yeah your right, i'm just trying to convince myself it doesn't need doing :lol:

Is your car relatively low mileage? It can cause problems changing from semi synthetic to fully synthetic on engines with higher mileage or older engines as it can cause problems.